[How-to]Unlock/Re-lock Nexus 10 Bootloader

15th November 2012, 07:00 AM   |  #21  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 316

1,049 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan79

I have 3 questions

1. Unlocking nexus 10 means rooting it ?
2. Is unlocking or rooting tablets legal in US?
3. I ordered nexus 10 but read n
ot so good things about the limited applications are supported for 10 inch screen .. Is there any workaround to have apps look as good as iPad I mean using the entire screen ...any custom ROMs available yet

Sent from my SGH-I897

1. No. You're just unlocking the bootloader.
2. Yes.
3. Custom roms take time. With that said, they can't really do much in the way of improving app layout, that's on the app developers hands.

I'd suggest doing a bit more research on bootloaders, root access, custom recoveries and custom roms before digging in too far.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
15th November 2012, 02:50 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 737

1,779 posts
Quote:

2. Is unlocking or rooting tablets legal in US?

It is a very dark gray area now, but probably not. It is 100% illegal to jailbreak an iPad, and the ruling says "jailbreaking tablets such as the iPad". The generally accepted definition of rooting an Android tablet is jailbreaking it (at least in the eyes of the court system). Also since the court ruled that it is illegal to jailbreak tablets, not just the iPad that means that more than likely it is illegal to unlock your bootloader and root any tablet. This ruling came in on October 28th of this year, barely more than 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanluke88

2. Yes.

See above

For the ruling (which is full of legal mumbo jumbo and hard to follow for the average person) can be found here:
http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2012/2012-26308_PI.pdf

Basically it reiterates that jailbreaking smartphones is legal under certain conditions, but that tablets do not apply to these exemptions and remain illegal to jailbreak, aka root.
Last edited by EniGmA1987; 15th November 2012 at 06:09 PM.
15th November 2012, 04:55 PM   |  #23  
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 11

74 posts
Any luck finding the USB driver for the N10?
15th November 2012, 05:06 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 254

1,206 posts
It's included in the Android SDK. If you've got an old version you can just add these lines to the .inf:
Code:
;Samsung Nexus 10
%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE0
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE0&MI_01
15th November 2012, 05:37 PM   |  #25  
Flag Leeds

74 posts
Nevermind Forgot I had to run the SDK Manager and download the USB driver. Once that was done, updated it again through device manager and voilá, installed. N10 now unlocked!

Taking a llllllllllllllllllllong time to boot though, stuck on the X logo...
15th November 2012, 05:52 PM   |  #26  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 316

1,049 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGmA1987

It is a very dark gray area now, but probably not. It is 100% illegal to jailbreak an iPad, and the ruling says "jailbreaking tablets such as the iPad". The generally accepted definition of rooting an Android tablet is jailbrekaing it (at least in the eyes of the court system). Also since the court ruled that it is illegal to jailbreak tablets, not just the iPad that means that more than likely it is illegal to unlock your bootloader and root any tablet.

See above

For the ruling (which is full of legal mumbo jumbo and hard to follow for the average person) can be found here:
http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2012/2012-26308_PI.pdf

Basically it reiterates that jailbreaking smartphones is legal under certain conditions, but that tablets do not apply to these exemptions and remain illegal to jailbreak, aka root.

I disagree. Nexus and GEDs are developer devices. Google provides the means supported by documentation to unlock them. If this were illegal, you can bet they wouldn't be so open about it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
15th November 2012, 06:06 PM   |  #27  

1,206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaT

Nevermind Forgot I had to run the SDK Manager and download the USB driver. Once that was done, updated it again through device manager and voilá, installed. N10 now unlocked!

Taking a llllllllllllllllllllong time to boot though, stuck on the X logo...

Had that as well. Wouldn't finish booting after unlocking bootloader. Had to flash stock image.
15th November 2012, 06:11 PM   |  #28  
Flag Leeds

74 posts
Xiafbk, how did you go about doing that?

ggrrr.. my phones and former tablet were a breeze compared :P

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

AHA! Working again Went into the stock recovery and wiped factory data, like it was posted in page 2. Thanks!
15th November 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #29  

1,206 posts
Recovery was borked for me as well. If it is for anyone else after unlocking bootloader go to https://developers.google.com/androi...mantarayjop40c and follow the instructions for flashing that stock firmware.
15th November 2012, 09:33 PM   |  #30  
Flag Lake Worth, Fl
Thanks Meter: 36

257 posts
More
Quote:

.. Is there any workaround to have apps look as good as iPad I mean using the entire screen ...any custom ROMs available yet

Sent from my SGH-I897

Yes there is a workaround: it is an application called IOS6 but it is sold by Apple only

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread