5,596,066 Members 33,450 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Native Ubuntu (Lubuntu, LXDE) or (Unity2D,Gnome) on TF700T

Tip us?

jaybob413
Old
(Last edited by jaybob413; 13th November 2012 at 10:45 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2667

DONATE TO ME
Default [DEV] Native Ubuntu (Lubuntu, LXDE) or (Unity2D,Gnome) on TF700T

This is an early alpha of ubuntu precise pangolin (12.04) running on the TF700T. You can choose from openbox, LXDE, and Lubuntu configurations. It is based on Nvidia Linux 4 Tegra R16 (armhf).

Added unity2d/gnome rootfs. 13-NOV

THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT THREAD, THIS THREAD IS FOR DEVELOPMENT RELATED POSTS ONLY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOME LINUX BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE, THIS IS PROBABLY NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU.

There are four files on goo available for this setup:
This configuration uses internal storage (/data/ubuntu) for the root file system. You will need to have a custom recovery (I use TWRP) and a working adb setup.To install, take the following steps:
  • Copy the bootimg and rootfs of your choice (lubuntu/lxde or unity2d/gnome) to your /sdcard folder
  • Boot into recovery
  • Bring up a root shell with ADB
  • Create the folder for file extract "mkdir /data/ubuntu"
  • Change to the folder you created "cd /data/ubuntu"
  • Extract the files "busybox tar -zxvf /sdcard/precise-armhf.tgz" OR "busybox tar -zxvf /sdcard/unity2d-rootfs.tgz"
  • Flash the boot image (precise-bootimg.zip)
  • Reboot

To get back to your android setup (if you are running ParanoidAndroid) flash the PA boot image (pa-tf700t-bootimg.zip). If you are running a different ROM, replace the boot blob in the zip file with the one from your distribution. The naming is important, it has to match.

Thanks to the development communities from Linux, Ubuntu, and NVidia, and to lilstevie, Jhinta, cb22, and many others who have blazed the trail that provided guidance and insight.

This thread is intended for the use and contributions of developers who have the interest and capacity to move this along. It is not intended for spoon feeding and hand holding.

Please use the thread HERE for general q&a, discussion, and support.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to jaybob413 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaybob413
Old
(Last edited by jaybob413; 13th November 2012 at 02:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2667

DONATE TO ME
Default Issues & Fixes

Issue: Onboard virtual keyboard displays all black
Fix: apt-get install python-gi-cairo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaybob413 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaybob413
Old
Thanks Meter 2667

DONATE TO ME
Reserved 2
The Following User Says Thank You to jaybob413 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dre1187
Old
(Last edited by dre1187; 12th November 2012 at 10:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 483
This is sweet can't wait to try this out!! Awesome work !!!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Phone: Nexus 4
Recovery: TWRP v2.6.3.2
Daily Driver: AOSPA 3+
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tablet: Nexus 7 Flo
Recovery: TWRP v2.6.3.0
Daily Driver: Unofficial Omni ROM 4.4.2

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2069
Cool! Where are the sources for precise-bootimg.zip?

jaybob413
Old
Thanks Meter 2667

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
Cool! Where are the sources for precise-bootimg.zip?
I am using the CyanogenMod JB kernel sources. Still working on the config, but you can always extract the current version from zImage or proc.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaybob413 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TitanUranus
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Default Question

I'm not a developer, but I have some (limited) linux experience. I'm just wondering if it has been considered (and presumably deemed unfeasible) to make an install that boots from SD using a modified bootloader? I have an OpenPandora and generally linux distributions are installed and run from SD, which is extremely practical and would undoubtedly offer many benefits on the TF700. Ubuntu has been ported to that device, so it may be worthwhile looking into some of the work done there if this is of interest (I understand the problem would be creating a bootloader that offers such an option though).

Thanks for this, I may try it out at some point.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanUranus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanUranus View Post
I understand the problem would be creating a bootloader that offers such an option though
The TF700 bootloader is closed source (and cryptographically signed), so that's a very hard problem.

Putting the userspace stuff onto the SD card should be easy, just modify the mount options in the initrd.

For the kernel, we might be able to do something like chainloading a different kernel via kexec.

jimmyxxx
Old
(Last edited by jimmyxxx; 13th November 2012 at 07:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
If I understand correctly, then a ROM based on a JB bootloader is needed.
Is there any chace of using a ROM based on an ICS bootloader (Baked Black Bean)?

THX

jaybob413
Old
Thanks Meter 2667

DONATE TO ME
Default Added Unity2d/Gnome rootfs

Link to Unity2d/Gnome rootfs added to OP for those who prefer that interface.