OP kevdliu

13th November 2012, 02:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,466

1,063 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello,

I can't get Android SDK manager to run on Windows 8 x64. Every time I run the executable a command prompt window flashes briefly and then nothing happens. I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit version of JDK 1.6 and running SDK manager with admin permissions and in compatibility mode.

Any help would be appreciated
13th November 2012, 05:03 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Wherever I am
Thanks Meter: 1,057

3,530 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdliu

Hello,

I can't get Android SDK manager to run on Windows 8 x64. Every time I run the executable a command prompt window flashes briefly and then nothing happens. I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit version of JDK 1.6 and running SDK manager with admin permissions and in compatibility mode.

It runs fine for me on Windows 8 Pro x64. The command propt window does flash, but the manager comes up soon after. I have JDK 1.7 though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theonew For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2012, 10:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,466

1,063 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonew

It runs fine for me on Windows 8 Pro x64. The command propt window does flash, but the manager comes up soon after. I have JDK 1.7 though.

Thanks so much for the info I tried again with JDK 1.7 and it works now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevdliu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2012, 06:03 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdliu

Hello,

The same was in Windows7 64-bit for some SDK version (dont remember version number).
It was solved by switching off some windows security checking. May be this is not best solution, but works.
23rd December 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 18

72 posts
More
Thumbs up Got a fix
I was having this problem too. It's caused by the PATH variables to java.exe being set incorrectly. You can modify the environment to have java_exe pointing to wherever it is C:\Windows\System32\java.exe for me or modify android.bat in tools to change set java_exe= call lib\find_java.bat if not defined java_exe goto :EOF
to this: set java_exe="D:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin\java.exe" where the path is the path to your java exe
you can then run android.bat and it works. The reason (re)installing java works is because it adds the path variables for you. They must have gotten changed/moved when I upgraded to windows 8
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to o0rebelious0o For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th January 2013, 05:10 AM   |  #6  
Flag Bellingham, WA
Thanks Meter: 31

182 posts
More
I'm having the same issue. Installed JDK 1.7 but still the same issue.

I have a fresh Install of W8 and am just now trying to install JDK and SDK.
Last edited by 9xnine; 27th January 2013 at 05:19 AM.
29th May 2013, 04:38 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I also cannot launch SDK Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0rebelious0o

I was having this problem too. It's caused by the PATH variables to java.exe being set incorrectly. You can modify the environment to have java_exe pointing to wherever it is C:\Windows\System32\java.exe for me or modify android.bat in tools to change set java_exe= call lib\find_java.bat if not defined java_exe goto :EOF
to this: set java_exe="D:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin\java.exe" where the path is the path to your java exe
you can then run android.bat and it works. The reason (re)installing java works is because it adds the path variables for you. They must have gotten changed/moved when I upgraded to windows 8

I am having the identical problem. I try to launch SDK Manager and get a quick cmd flash and then nothing. I am on Win8 Pro with jdk 1.7.0_21.
I added c:\Windows\System32\java.exe to the path (correct on my system) but no obvious change in result. Then edited set java_exe in android.bat to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21\bin\java.exe" and ran the batch file, and still I just get a quick flash of the command window. My java sdk was just installed today prior to setting up the ADT Bundle for Windows. Eclipse loads with ADT, but the SDK Manager is still a no go. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
5th June 2013, 02:36 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Solved my Windows 8 problem
Hi,

I have been having similar problems with Android SDK manager not starting in Windows 8. Tried altering Java paths and messing with Android.bat etc. etc. but am now convinced the problem is with the UAC of Windows 8. Why?

1) Originally installed Eclipse in a sub dir of Program Files and found that I could not edit any sub dir there (like Android.bat) because of User Access Controls (UAC)... got me thinking...

2) So re-installed Eclipse in a sub dir under my user, and bingo... SDK manager works fine now.

It is possible to disable all UAC in Win 8 Pro using secpol.msc, but I don't have Pro version and it's not in bog standard version... However, you can still edit the registry to give all apps admin privileges but seems a bit drastic to have to do this...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrtoots For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2013, 02:58 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

11 posts
http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/bundle.html

Install the SDK and Eclipse IDE
1.Unpack the ZIP file (named adt-bundle-<os_platform>.zip) and save it to an appropriate location, such as a "Development" directory in your home directory.

try c:\Development\
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aleks3008 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th September 2013, 10:40 PM   |  #10  
Flag Oklahoma
Thanks Meter: 3

47 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks3008

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/bundle.html

Install the SDK and Eclipse IDE
1.Unpack the ZIP file (named adt-bundle-<os_platform>.zip) and save it to an appropriate location, such as a "Development" directory in your home directory.

try c:\Development\

This is what worked for me. Thanks!!!
I originally had it in User\Documents\

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, manager, sdk, windows 8
Previous Thread Next Thread