Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,458 Members 47,202 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4g with straight talk

Tip us?

mikep401
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4g with straight talk

is it possible to buy the att sim card from straight talk for my 4g t-mobile galaxy. get on the $45 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING from straight talk and get the 4g speeds. only reason i want to do this is att has 4g coverage where i live. can only get 4g with t-mobile 30 miles away where i work. att has a lot more 4g coverage. ive seen on google where this is being done with straight talk. and its cheaper too. thanks

th3controller
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Yes, use this to unlock your phone for other carriers http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1419468

If you don't want the trouble of installing busybox, use this instead: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1978974
But however the flash method is currently known to work on ICS only. FB is working on a fix for GB.

Device: Google Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Rom: Stock 4.4.x
Kernel: Stock 4.4.x Kernel

Previous phone: Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Hit thanks if I helped you out or my post seemed interesting!

Use this referral link to earn 500 MB of free storage space!

mikep401
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3controller View Post
Yes, use this to unlock your phone for other carriers http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1419468

If you don't want the trouble of installing busybox, use this instead: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1978974
But however the flash method is currently known to work on ICS only. FB is working on a fix for GB.
my phone is already unlocked. my main question is can 4g be achieved through straight talk

th3controller
Old
Thanks Meter 209
I would say yes because my friends S2 (T-mobile) worked for Simple Mobile. Simple Mobile goes under TracFone Wireless Inc. which owns both Simple Mobile and Straight Talk.

Or as long as they support HSDPA your good to go!

So when your getting a plan from Straight Talk make sure to ask them if they support HSDPA.

Device: Google Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile
Rom: Stock 4.4.x
Kernel: Stock 4.4.x Kernel

Previous phone: Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Hit thanks if I helped you out or my post seemed interesting!

Use this referral link to earn 500 MB of free storage space!

gregcapps
Old
Thanks Meter 542
Quote:
I would say yes because my friends S2 (T-mobile) worked for Simple Mobile. Simple Mobile goes under TracFone Wireless Inc. which owns both Simple Mobile and Straight Talk.

Or as long as they support HSDPA your good to go!

So when your getting a plan from Straight Talk make sure to ask them if they support HSDPA.
It depends on the sim card you get I have heard reports that the 4g on our phones does not work well on at&t but if you get a T-Mobile supported sim should be no problem.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
Remember the Thanks button if I've helped!

eollie
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 767
Quote:
This statement made me laugh. Asking them this will only create anger issues. The support people I have dealt with NEVER have a clue.

Its cool tho. People if you consider going to Straight Talk be prepared to have almost no tech support.

As posted above att will be iffy on this phone. If you are looking to get better data speeds I suggest steering away from Straight Talk there is a unknown daily data cap. And it sounds like you are looking to get faster data speeds to do something that will probably put you over the daily data cap. At that point Straight Talk will cancel your service and you have to call and bitch to get it turned back on. Hopefully they will publish something on what the daily limit is soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to eollie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikep401
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eollie View Post
This statement made me laugh. Asking them this will only create anger issues. The support people I have dealt with NEVER have a clue.

Its cool tho. People if you consider going to Straight Talk be prepared to have almost no tech support.

As posted above att will be iffy on this phone. If you are looking to get better data speeds I suggest steering away from Straight Talk there is a unknown daily data cap. And it sounds like you are looking to get faster data speeds to do something that will probably put you over the daily data cap. At that point Straight Talk will cancel your service and you have to call and bitch to get it turned back on. Hopefully they will publish something on what the daily limit is soon.
once again my main goal here is to get more 4g coverage area. i have t-moble 4g service with t-moble. but the coverage area is slim, cant get it where i live. only 2g where i live. very agravating. would like the larger coverage area with att, and with straight talk its only $45. for unlimmited. wanted to know if anyone out therehas done this with straight talk. thanks

gregcapps
Old
Thanks Meter 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep401 View Post
once again my main goal here is to get more 4g coverage area. i have t-moble 4g service with t-moble. but the coverage area is slim, cant get it where i live. only 2g where i live. very agravating. would like the larger coverage area with att, and with straight talk its only $45. for unlimmited. wanted to know if anyone out therehas done this with straight talk. thanks
The only problem with trying to expand your 4g coverage by using a at&t sim thru straight talk is the T-Mobile 4g and At&t 4g work differently. Some of at&t 4g coverage is actually 4g lte which this phone does not support. Even their hspa+ network may be configured slightly different. Bhundven has an unlocked sgs4g and has tried his At&t sim and has reported that the 4g does not work well on it. Barely even gets 4g reception and dismal speeds at that.

Remember the Thanks button if I've helped!

turtlepa
Old
Thanks Meter 95
At&t ****in sucks anyway

hechoen
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlepa View Post
At&t ****in sucks anyway

You are a moron. How the hell do you know ATT sucks? Personal experience? Please crawl back into your shell.

The Following User Says Thank You to hechoen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]