Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,045 Members 38,133 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Installing CWM recovery on Note II

Tip us?

mjwhirly
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 501
Default [HOWTO] Installing CWM recovery on Note II

Here are the instructions for installing CWM recovery to our AT&T Galaxy Note II

*Make sure you have installed the usb device drivers for our phone first, they can be found Here

Download the ClockworkMod Recovery image file from here. Place it on your desktop.
Get the ODIN 3 3.07 zip from here. Unzip the ODIN contents into a single folder on your desktop, there should 4 extracted files.
Power off your smartphone and then you need to boot it into Download Mode. Do it by pressing simultaneously ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when you’re asked to press Volume Up, click it and enter download mode.
Go to ODIN folder on your PC and run the ODIN .exe file.
Now you can connect your smartphone to your PC. ODIN will say "ADDED". If ODIN doesn’t display the "added" text, then you will have to re-install the USB drivers for your smartphone.
Go to ODIN program window and click on ‘PDA’. Find the ‘CWM recovery img.tar file and load it into ODIN exe. Do Not Change Any Options Note that the ‘Re-partition’ box shouldn’t be checked.
Press the ‘START’ button and ODIN will begin to install ClockworkMod Recovery image on the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 device.
After the install process is complete, the device will restart and ODIN should say ‘PASS’. This means that the process was successful.
Your phone should reboot and then have a new recovery.

To test out new recovery turn off phone , use the three button combo (Volume up+home+power, then wait for screen to flash) and phone will boot into recovery.
Current: AT&T Galaxy Note II---Jedi X-17
Nexus 7 (2013) UnOfficial AOKP
LG G2---Stock at the moment
Thank me if I helped you!
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to mjwhirly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nite4evr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can anybody confirm this works with 317M (Rogers) version too?
I tried it and I got nothing.............I've been waiting for CWM and would much prefer this over TWRP.

Thanks,
K

Ceasare
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Can one do this with heimdall on a Mac?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ookba
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Why isn't this is in the development section? Can anyone confirm it actually works? Backup and restore works? All features work?
Current devices: GS5, GS4

Current projects: GS5 wireless charging and magnetic dock (link coming soon)

Support me so I can support you!
Donations VERY much appreciated! Or just hit "thanks" if I helped you!

billy938292
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookba View Post
Why isn't this is in the development section? Can anyone confirm it actually works? Backup and restore works? All features work?
IT works only issue i am having after unrooting my phone i cant remove CWM recovery and go back to downloading mode.

ookba
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy938292 View Post
IT works only issue i am having after unrooting my phone i cant remove CWM recovery and go back to downloading mode.
You need to flash stock recovery back. Best way is to wait until a factory ROM is released and that'll flash you back to stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to ookba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nite4evr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So anybody who has 317M got it working? Anyone?

jpasint
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I couldn't do backups. It said it did but it didn't. Was only like 16 MB of stuff in the folder even after taking a while to back up. Strange.

Gave up on CWM and using TWRP now.

This was on my i317 none M.

Joe
Joe

ookba
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
I couldn't do backups. It said it did but it didn't. Was only like 16 MB of stuff in the folder even after taking a while to back up. Strange.

Gave up on CWM and using TWRP now.

This was on my i317 none M.

Joe
Probably not the correct image for the device. The partitions are different from device to device. I am sure someone will port it soon enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to ookba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SweetRedVoice
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Easiest root ever! I may actually be getting the hang of this. I rooted my gNote2 in less than 10 mins.

mjwhirly, Thanks for your great instructions coming your way.