Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 43,086 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SOLVED - AOSP 4.2 browser from Nexus 7 - Request.

Tip us?

Turbotab
Old
(Last edited by Turbotab; 14th November 2012 at 10:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 832
Default SOLVED - AOSP 4.2 browser from Nexus 7 - Request.

REQUEST OVER - I NOW HAVE A COPY OF AOSP 4.2 BROWSER- SEE POST #5 FOR THE APK.

I'm on the hunt for the latest AOSP browser apk (4.2), does anybody have a copy, they could kindly post for us users who hate Chrome
Dumb phones> Nokia E51 > iPhone 3GS > Orange San Francisco > Galaxy S > Galaxy S2 > Galaxy Note

Current: Lumia 710 & Nexus 7 & Nexus 4

@jomaKern
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbotab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

opz187
Old
(Last edited by opz187; 14th November 2012 at 01:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotab View Post
I'm on the hunt for the latest AOSP browser apk (4.2), does anybody have a copy, they could kindly post for us users who hate Chrome
IDK if this is the latest but here ya go
Attached Files
File Type: apk Browser.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.16 MB, 1790 views)

Turbotab
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by opz187 View Post
IDK if this is the latest but here ya go
Thanks for trying, but that is the browser from 4.1.1, I'm looking for the one pulled from a AOSP 4.2 ROM.
Dumb phones> Nokia E51 > iPhone 3GS > Orange San Francisco > Galaxy S > Galaxy S2 > Galaxy Note

@jomaKern

Spannaa
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 11,036

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for trying, but that is the browser from 4.1.1, I'm looking for the one pulled from a AOSP 4.2 ROM.
I'm not sure there is a browser.apk in 4.2 (just chrome) but that one works fine if you rename both:

/system/app/browserproxyprovider.odex
/system/app/BrowserProxyProvider.apk

before dropping it in /system/app and changing its permissions to rw-r--r--

Reference
Read first...Then search...Then ask...

My Work, My Dev-Host, My goo.im, My Android File Host

The Following User Says Thank You to Spannaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Turbotab
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannaa View Post
I'm not sure there is a browser.apk in 4.2 (just chrome) but that one works fine if you rename both:

/system/app/browserproxyprovider.odex
/system/app/BrowserProxyProvider.apk

before dropping it in /system/app and changing its permissions to rw-r--r--

Reference
No browser.apk directly from stock Nakasi 4.2, but it is available in 4.2's AOSP build, which user styckx kindly uploaded from his 4.2 AOSP build. I was running 4.1.1 AOSP browser on my N7 previously, but was curious if 4.2 AOSP brought any major changes.

#######

Request over, I now have the 4.2 AOSP browser, pulled a Nexus 7 build. It installed OK, not really much difference over the 4.1.1 AOSP browser, but still faster and smoother than Chrome Android.
Attached Files
File Type: apk Browser.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.19 MB, 1782 views)

@jomaKern
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbotab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freakshow999
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
No browser.apk directly from stock Nakasi 4.2, but it is available in 4.2's AOSP build, which user styckx kindly uploaded from his 4.2 AOSP build. I was running 4.1.1 AOSP browser on my N7 previously, but was curious if 4.2 AOSP brought any major changes.

#######

Request over, I now have the 4.2 AOSP browser, pulled a Nexus 7 build. It installed OK, not really much difference over the 4.1.1 AOSP browser, but still faster and smoother than Chrome Android.

Update for 4.2 you need to rename the file called browser.odex as well as the ones mentioned before if they exist.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

One more thing no flash support. It actually locked up on the adobe flash page. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling flash still a no go. I'm still really glad we have the browser working!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
If I've helped you in any way please remeber to hit the thanks button!
Devices:
Pantech Flex 8010 Stock Rooted, Wifi Tethering Mod, Apex Launcher
Nexus 7 16gb 4.2.1 on Scott's CleanROM 3.0 w/ Apex Launcher Pro and Beats xLoud Mod
Atrix 2 on Swifty Trix v1.3, Wifi tether script, Apex Launcher Pro Retired (Sold)
iPhone 3gs hacked to all hell... and still a pos (Sold)

S0nico
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:

#######

you have original files BrowserProviderProxy.apk and BrowserProviderProxy.odex for stock ROM 4.2.1 ?

Tnks