Post Reply

External Harddrives

OP MarcusSi15

13th November 2012, 11:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
I have an 320gb portable external hard drive that i would like to attach to my Nexus 10 when i get one. does anyone know if the microusb can power it and where can i get an adapter that supports the nexus 10. thanks
13th November 2012, 11:45 PM   |  #2  
johno86's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orange County
Thanks Meter: 158
 
339 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusSi15

I have an 320gb portable external hard drive that i would like to attach to my Nexus 10 when i get one. does anyone know if the microusb can power it and where can i get an adapter that supports the nexus 10. thanks

More likely than not you will need an external power source. A powered HUB is something to consider.
14th November 2012, 01:25 AM   |  #3  
Rage1ofakind's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 150
 
487 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Only powered Hard drives work.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app
14th November 2012, 05:12 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
288 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
i tried doing this with my Nexus 7 and all it did war start to power up the hard drive and then disconnect repeatedly so there isn't enough power in the nexus 7, i doubt there will be in the 10 when I get it... but i will try lol
14th November 2012, 10:55 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Actually, I attached my Samsung 2,5'' 1tb HDD today to my new nexus 10 (writing on it right now btw), and it powered up. Sticky Mount recognized the HDD, though I wasnt able to access it without root permission... Got the tablet early this morning
The Following User Says Thank You to alteroppa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 02:07 AM   |  #6  
Rage1ofakind's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 150
 
487 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Get Nexus media app. No root required and you can use hard drives

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rage1ofakind For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 03:49 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by slight22

i tried doing this with my Nexus 7 and all it did war start to power up the hard drive and then disconnect repeatedly so there isn't enough power in the nexus 7, i doubt there will be in the 10 when I get it... but i will try lol

I thought the nexus 7 didn't have usb OTG host capabilities built into the stock rom. Although it might not be the best comparison, but my toshiba thrive powers hdds just fine.
15th November 2012, 04:22 AM   |  #8  
jcb_home's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1
 
168 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage1ofakind

Get Nexus media app. No root required and you can use hard drives

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

Can someone verify that it is working with the N10
15th November 2012, 07:58 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Hitchin, UK
Thanks Meter: 11
 
407 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Did you use any specific otg cable or will any do?

Swype'd at pace from my Galaxy S2
15th November 2012, 08:47 PM   |  #10  
Rage1ofakind's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 150
 
487 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
I'm using it on the Nexus 7... That's proof enough
Bought an OTG cable from amazon. The USB adapter one for 2 quid.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to Rage1ofakind For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes