FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Forums: Discuss Everything About The OP2!

Now that the OnePlus 2 has been officially unveiled and that we have had close-up … more

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

Make Your Lockscreen More Productive With Widgets

Are you running Android Lollipop? Do you miss the ability to add widgets to your lock … more

External Harddrives

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By MarcusSi15, Junior Member on 13th November 2012, 11:05 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
12th February 2013, 05:20 PM |#71  
Mr.Doc's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Sign
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnice

I have so far used 3 external hds on my nexus 10
1- samsung 1tb 2.5" without external power
2- lacie external 3.5"
3-one of those caddy things where you just pop a sata drive in (vertically). This is not an enclosure as such. All 3 work. the drives in 1 and 2 are as purchased. with 3 i just use any old sata drive.

I'm planing to buy a Tab and I'm stuck trying to pick between Note 10.1 or the Nexus 10

and from what you say can you browse your HD from the tablet like using the computer if you have the Y cable to provide power for the HD and will this method work for the Note 10.1 or only works with Nexus
 
 
13th February 2013, 10:44 AM |#72  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I am afraid that I cannot comment on the note 10.1. However I would assume it would be the same.
The Y cable (+OTG) is only needed for devices that draw their power from the USB and does not require an external power supply. In some cases the tablet does not provide enough power, so the 2nd USB from the Y cable gets plugged into a power source. For items 2 and 3 on my list, these were plugged into the mains and therefore the standard USB cable (+ OTG cable) was used.
19th February 2013, 02:55 PM |#73  
Mr.Doc's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
after u have used the Nexus 10 would u recommend it or should I buy the Note 10.1
22nd February 2013, 01:51 AM |#74  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnice

I tired looking for one that runs off batteries and there is no such thing. You may find something with a micro USB input, although probably quite rare.. I settled for using a USB power pack to power the HD. Something like this should work fine (if you get a Y adaptor for the drive).

I am currently still using my old proporta power pack rated at 3400mah, but will be looking to upgrade to something like the link above.

I posted in the wireless USB storage thread about the new Ravpower Wifi disk. It creates its own wireless network to stream data to your tablet from whatever storage device you connect to the wifi disk. It has a built in battery that provides up to five hours of runtime. It features an SD card slot and a USB 2.0 slot and yes, both can be used simultaneously. It can handle up to a 2TB portable hard drive and stream to up to five devices at the same time. Currently going for $49.99 on Amazon. If you don't want to have a cable or device attached to your tablet, check out the wifi disk. I prefer the wifi disk to my OTG cable since it means the storage device isn't leeching power from the tablet.
22nd February 2013, 09:07 AM |#75  
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 52
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsel

I posted in the wireless USB storage thread about the new Ravpower Wifi disk. It creates its own wireless network to stream data to your tablet from whatever storage device you connect to the wifi disk. It has a built in battery that provides up to five hours of runtime. It features an SD card slot and a USB 2.0 slot and yes, both can be used simultaneously. It can handle up to a 2TB portable hard drive and stream to up to five devices at the same time. Currently going for $49.99 on Amazon. If you don't want to have a cable or device attached to your tablet, check out the wifi disk. I prefer the wifi disk to my OTG cable since it means the storage device isn't leeching power from the tablet.

Must give it a look
23rd February 2013, 02:44 PM |#76  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
I'm interested in the new wifeless drive that seagate has just released. seems to offer upgrades on the older goflex satelite, is 1tb, and if you are in the states, seems reasonably priced for what it is. They also got around to adding write support as well as simply read. Very tempted by one, although in the UK it comes in at around 200 which is rather steep, i could get a pair of 3tb desktop drives for that price.
23rd February 2013, 08:49 PM |#77  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughlle

I'm interested in the new wifeless drive that seagate has just released.

Sounds interesting, but I don't think my wife will go for it.
26th February 2013, 04:09 AM |#78  
Leoisright's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag MN
Thanks Meter: 6,903
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: External Harddrives
I'm using my 128gb Samsung 830 and works perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
8th April 2013, 11:52 AM |#79  
Member
Flag Derby / Gloucester / Bath
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Using a cheapo OTA cable from amazon, my Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile MX3 and Nexus Media Importer it works fine for me.
My Nexus needs quite a high charge for the hard drive to spin up though, otherwise I just get a clicking noise. However it does work when charged above ~70%.
8th April 2013, 02:19 PM |#80  
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 52
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmott1992

Using a cheapo OTA cable from amazon, my Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile MX3 and Nexus Media Importer it works fine for me.
My Nexus needs quite a high charge for the hard drive to spin up though, otherwise I just get a clicking noise. However it does work when charged above ~70%.

Does it drain the battery fast mate?
11th April 2013, 03:02 PM |#81  
Member
Flag Derby / Gloucester / Bath
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.m.moran

Does it drain the battery fast mate?

I had it plugged in for around an hour, it obviously drained faster than normal. But didn't drain noticeably quick. However I normally just copy the video I'm watching to the internal storage and then unplug the hard drive.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes