Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,456 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][HOWTO]TW Launcher with different grid sizes

Tip us?

garyd9
Old
(Last edited by garyd9; 19th November 2012 at 06:27 AM.) Reason: clarify the purpose of the thread: education
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1976
Default [MOD][HOWTO]TW Launcher with different grid sizes

I was going to re-post the apk's I pulled together for modifying the samsung touchwiz launcher to have an extra row of icon space on the home screens and an extra column as well. However, there's a better solution:

THIS IS A HOWTO. This isn't a "download the attached file and donate to me" thread. This is a thread intended to help people to learn how to modify their own devices. If all you want is something pre-made to install on your phone, there are several good customized firmwares (ROMs) available in this subforum. The attached files are so people can download a working example to compare to their own work. Please keep this in mind when replying to the thread.

First, a link to another thread that explains how to modify the launcher. These instructions are for a galaxy S III, but they work just fine for the Note II:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=27433971

That's not my thread and 99.9% of any credit for this should be given to the person who posted the that thread and the people from whom that person learned from.

Now, I found I didn't like these directions as-is. First, I thought the icon labels got too truncated when using this with 5 columns. Second, I really didn't like how this mod moved the little "page" indicator dots below the docked icons. (The photo's on this thread don't show that, but if you follow the directions, they are moved.)

So, I spent a few hours playing with sizes and such to get things to look a bit better (from my perspective.) That's how I came up with the apk's I posted a week or so ago.

Below, I'll dump my notes on the measurements that I kept so I could reproduce the changes I did (for the next firmware update.) They don't make much sense on their own, but if you combine them with the above linked thread, they make perfect sense. Keep in mind that these are my notes and not even an attempt as a tutorial.

Now, these notes are YOUR notes as well. Please use them, change them to suite your own desires, or ignore them.

There's only one thing better than downloading a custom firmware for your phone: Customizing that firmware yourself.

Code:
SecLauncher2... modifying the grid sizes

To enable scrolling on any of these:

res/values/bools.xml:  change fixedWallpaperOffset to "false" (to turn on scrolling)

The rest of the files to edit are all in "res/values-sw359dp-xhdpi"

For 4x5 (extra vertical row):

integers.xml:

<integer name="home_cellCountX">4</integer>
    <integer name="home_cellCountY">5</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="app_icon_size">44.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">80.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellHeight_port">90.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">10.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapY_port">2.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageMarginPlusPaddingTop">12.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTop">484.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTopShrunken">484.0dip</dimen>

For 5x4 (extra horiz column):

use the 4x5 and 5x5 to figure it out.

for 5x5 (both extra row and extra column):

integers.xml

<integer name="home_cellCountX">5</integer>
    <integer name="home_cellCountY">5</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="app_icon_size">44.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">68.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellHeight_port">90.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">4.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapY_port">2.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageMarginPlusPaddingTop">12.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTop">484.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTopShrunken">484.0dip</dimen>

styles.xml  (this is needed for 5 columns or the icon labels get truncated - the change is only the textSize)

<style name="HomeIcon" parent="@style/BaseHomeIcon">
        <item name="android:textSize">12.0dip</item>
As a bonus, I'll also upload some apk files that already have these changes in place. My primary intention for uploading them is to serve as an example, but they are fully functional on a stock i317 firmware.

If you want to use them as-is, do a backup first. Then figure out which you want based on the name. (4x5 is 4 columns and 5 rows IN ADDITION to the dock row. if "scroll" is in the name, the wallpaper will scroll, else it won't.) Then rename the file to "SecLauncher2.apk", and use something like root explorer (that allows you to write to the /system/app partition) and overwrite the existing file by the same name. After you do that, your home launcher will get a little nutty for a second or three, and then it'll work fine. (If it doesn't, restore the backup.)

(If you download one of these files with IE, the file extension might get changed from "apk" to "zip" If so, just change it back to .apk.)

Take care
Gary
Attached Files
File Type: apk SecLauncher2.4x5.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.55 MB, 1004 views)
File Type: apk SecLauncher2.4x5.scroll.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.55 MB, 794 views)
File Type: apk SecLauncher2.5x5.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.55 MB, 1106 views)
File Type: apk SecLauncher2.5x5.scroll.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.55 MB, 1306 views)

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Futant55
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I used the 4x5 scroll apk. It worked great. . I was worried about it resetting all my folders and widgets, but they just bumped up. The 4x4 twcalendar is a little cut off on top and bottom, but not enough to effect me. My music and google search widgets dissapeared but I reset them and all is good. Since the Music widget is re-sizable is here a way to make all widgets re sizable with the tw launcher?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Futant55 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mocsab
Old
Thanks Meter 612
Default 4X5 with Scoll - Awesome!

Very Cool - and huge thanks for this. I took the 4X5 Scroll and renamed the way you suggested - moved to the AP folder with Root Explorer and then rebooted - after booting up - wall paper scolls beautfiully - very smooth - and more room for aps and widgets and stuff - I was a little concerned that multiview would stopp working but no - it works fine.

All is good - thanks for the AP - considering how new this phone is - it is so cool to be able to get these types of improvements!

Thanks again.
My Phone Galaxy S5 G900T
My Rom: | Alliance 4.1 | CyanogenMod 11.0 | Android 4.4.4 KitKat (KLTE - UNIFIED)
My Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: KT-SGS5 - with KTWEAKER
My Carrier - ATT

Former Devices: ☆Galaxy Note 3☆HTC ONE☆Galaxy S IV☆Galaxy Note II☆Galaxy S3☆EVO 4g LTE☆Nexus☆Epic 4G☆Treo(W)☆Palm Treo☆(P)

garyd9
Old
Thanks Meter 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futant55 View Post
Since the Music widget is re-sizable is here a way to make all widgets re sizable with the tw launcher?
I think only certain widgets can be resized - not all of them.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/

DAGr8
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6332

DONATE TO ME
How about auto rotation?

Sent from my SGH-I717 using xda premium
COME CHAT WITH US

T W I T T E R

King-Kang For The Galaxy Note LTE

The Hybrid for Galaxy Note II & SGH-I717

SAUROM-PROJEKT for I9000

or

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGr8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

garyd9
Old
Thanks Meter 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGr8 View Post
How about auto rotation?
Good idea! I'm looking forward to you contributing that to this HOWTO post.

Take care
Gary

garyd9
Old
Thanks Meter 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEChump View Post
Can anyone make the attached transparent Accuweather widget work with 5x5?
I think you misinterpreted the purpose of this thread. It's NOT a thread where someone does something for you. It's a thread where I get people to do something FOR THEMSELVES and encourage them to share how to do things.

I'm actually insulted that you'd post in this thread the question "will you do this for me?" (The answer is: NO.)

At the very least, you could have asked something like "Can you offer advice on how I do this for myself?"

The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

VTEChump
Old
(Last edited by VTEChump; 15th November 2012 at 06:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
I think you misinterpreted the purpose of this thread. It's NOT a thread where someone does something for you. It's a thread where I get people to do something FOR THEMSELVES and encourage them to share how to do things.

I'm actually insulted that you'd post in this thread the question "will you do this for me?" (The answer is: NO.)

At the very least, you could have asked something like "Can you offer advice on how I do this for myself?"
Wow, sorry, you can ignore my post or have mods delete it. The only reason I posted it here was because it was related to using your SecLancher2.5x5.apk. A bunch of widgets that I use no longer work when I change to the 5x5 layout. I have no problem searching for a solution myself, just thought someone may have an obvious answer. Thanks, have a nice day.

Futant55
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
I think only certain widgets can be resized - not all of them.
I just deleted the widget and reset it and it went back to its big beautiful size. Thanks

Gargamel198024
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Multi Window

I installed the 4x5 with scrolling after I flashed this rom, I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control, and the Multi Window function stopped working. Has anyones else ran into this and if so how did you fix it.