Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,893 Members 51,587 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC DROID DNA Dock / Car Dock

Tip us?

geoff5093
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML417 View Post
I would just buy a generic dock if it didn't have wireless charging, not worth the extra money otherwise.
Do generic docks have built in chargers? I don't see how that would really work since all phones are different.

ML417
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
Do generic docks have built in chargers? I don't see how that would really work since all phones are different.
No, but you can have a cable that you just plug in instead. This is designed to be a semi-generic dock with wireless charging built in. If that doesn't work, it wont be any different than other generic docks

elmtree
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Agree

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

JTNiggle
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
That would be a major PITA if it's just USB, as we would have to uncover our USB port every time we wanted to use the dock.
Quote:
I would just buy a generic dock if it didn't have wireless charging, not worth the extra money otherwise.
Quote:
No, but you can have a cable that you just plug in instead. This is designed to be a semi-generic dock with wireless charging built in. If that doesn't work, it wont be any different than other generic docks
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree View Post
Agree

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
Over here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=85
he said that they were testing the dock with wireless charging this week, let hope it works out, but it will still likely be over a month before we see them in our cars.
LG VX9800 - LG VX9900 - BB 8100 - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Hero - Evo 4G - Evo 3D - Incredible 2 - Bionic - Rezound - DNA - LG G2 - LG G3
The Following User Says Thank You to JTNiggle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SolusCado
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Someone should start making docks of different sizes and orientations that all utilize the Qi charging. So you can still have your phone sitting on your desk, nightstand, windshield, handlebars, whatever... but you don't have to plug anything in. It would be a lot easier to cover a wider range of devices because you don't need to worry about where their USB port is. Just cover the popular phone sizes - 4.7", 5", 4.3", etc.

ML417
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTNiggle View Post
Over here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=85
he said that they were testing the dock with wireless charging this week, let hope it works out, but it will still likely be over a month before we see them in our cars.
Check the next page, I replied there as well, but it's more relevant at the dock topic

Swifty31703
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolusCado View Post
Someone should start making docks of different sizes and orientations that all utilize the Qi charging. So you can still have your phone sitting on your desk, nightstand, windshield, handlebars, whatever... but you don't have to plug anything in. It would be a lot easier to cover a wider range of devices because you don't need to worry about where their USB port is. Just cover the popular phone sizes - 4.7", 5", 4.3", etc.
Exactly!
Phones:
HTC Eris=>Thunderbolt=>ReZound=>Droid DNA=>One=>Nexus4

Tablets:
Amazon Kindle Fire=>Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"=>Nexus7

Music Players:
Samsung Galaxy Player 4 w/Voodoo

JTNiggle
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolusCado View Post
I concur completely, so much so that I'm just gonna try it myself. It looks like it may be 2 months before we see a wireless charging car dock for the DNA, so I ordered this,

And this,

I'm gonna put the two in the new ninja blender I got the wife and see what comes of it.
Or maybe I'll try and carefully transplant the charging coil from the LG pad to the dock, we'll see in a week when the charging pad shows up.
LG VX9800 - LG VX9900 - BB 8100 - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Hero - Evo 4G - Evo 3D - Incredible 2 - Bionic - Rezound - DNA - LG G2 - LG G3

ML417
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTNiggle View Post
I concur completely, so much so that I'm just gonna try it myself. It looks like it may be 2 months before we see a wireless charging car dock for the DNA, so I ordered this,

And this,

I'm gonna put the two in the new ninja blender I got the wife and see what comes of it.
Or maybe I'll try and carefully transplant the charging coil from the LG pad to the dock, we'll see in a week when the charging pad shows up.
You're not going to get a significant enough charge from the LG pad to be of any use in a car dock. For a wireless charging car dock to work, you're going to new a much stronger wireless charger.

JTNiggle
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
You're not going to get a significant enough charge from the LG pad to be of any use in a car dock. For a wireless charging car dock to work, you're going to new a much stronger wireless charger.
It's not like there are a bunch of options here, it's the lg pad, the nokia(which is out of stock everywhere), or the energizer which seems to be over priced imo.

And, I don't see how you can say it wont be of any use, the fact that it will charge my phone without plugging it in will be of great use to me. I'm not driving around running navigation all day, maybe a couple calls through bluetooth and I may stream pandora, but that doesn't eat much power. For me, I will get more charging time because I won't have to fiddle with the usb cord. I'm in and out of my rig at least 50 times a day, and I don't always plug my phone in, but if all I have to do is set it in the dock, I'm much more likely to do so and benefit from a little charging bump. I'm also not a power user, I have no trouble getting through a 12 hour day with my Rezound and a standard battery with a few small charges in the middle somewhere.

I haven't tested myself yet, my DNA arrives today and my charger next week, but going off of other reports, we're looking at about a 5-6 hour full charge time, so 17% to 20% and hour. That's about the same as most usb car chargers that run at 500ma I believe. I don't see a problem with it, but I'm sure if you were streaming media and navigation all day, it wouldn't keep up, that's just the way it's gonna be right now until we get some higher rate wireless chargers. I don't see this as a reason not to buy these things, if anything we should show the companies how interested in the tech we are and encourage them to invest more in r&d to produce more options. We can do that by purchasing and reviewing the currently available options.