Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 43,916 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE/DEV] Building AOSP 4.2 for the skyrocket

Tip us?

sk8erwitskil
Old
(Last edited by sk8erwitskil; 14th November 2012 at 08:20 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2,635

DONATE TO ME
Default [GUIDE/DEV] Building AOSP 4.2 for the skyrocket

Im in the process of compiling android 4.2 for the skyrocket right now. i wanted to share the changes i needed to make to get it to keep compiling. i am not currently done with the compiling process right now but i have made a few changes that others can use to get them along the way as well. if you have any other changes i have not listed here PLEASE LET ME KNOW so i can add them to this google drive doc and always have it up to date. if there also is something you think should be in there PLEASE LET ME KNOW! i would like to collaborate with some people to get this built quick. we did an awesome job with jellybean and i have hope we can get this going quick.

Here is the google drive doc i have with the changes needed to get this compiling.
Google Drive Doc to build Android AOSP 4.2

if i come across any issues that i cannot solve i will be asking on this thread so please be checking back every once in a while if you are an experienced dev.
HTC Mogul >> HTC Droid Eris >> Samsung Captivate >> Samsung Skyrocket >> LG Optimus G >> Google Nexus 4 >> HTC One!

Check out my custom touch recoveries for Samsung Skyrocket/Hercules/LG Optimus G/Nexus 4/HTC One

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life."
- Romans 5:10

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to sk8erwitskil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sk8erwitskil
Old
Thanks Meter 2,635

DONATE TO ME
i have already made a few changes to the doc. im trying to make this as easy as possible to build.
HTC Mogul >> HTC Droid Eris >> Samsung Captivate >> Samsung Skyrocket >> LG Optimus G >> Google Nexus 4 >> HTC One!

Check out my custom touch recoveries for Samsung Skyrocket/Hercules/LG Optimus G/Nexus 4/HTC One

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sk8erwitskil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sk8erwitskil
Old
Thanks Meter 2,635

DONATE TO ME
i got it to completely build without any errors. http://d-h.st/Dvo
it does not boot though. and i dont know why. im going to need some help on this one.
im guessing maybe it has something to do with the ramdisk

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sk8erwitskil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sk8erwitskil
Old
(Last edited by sk8erwitskil; 14th November 2012 at 07:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2,635

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8erwitskil View Post
it does not boot though. and i dont know why. im going to need some help on this one.
so i diff'd the init.rc of the skyrocket cm10 and the init.rc and of the stock nexus4 system image from the android website and theyre exactly the same. so im guessing its not the init.rc. i tried copying over adbd and init from the n4 ramdisk but it gets stuck at the samsung logo.

edit: ignore that. i was looking at the same file. lol. this is what comes from no sleep

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sk8erwitskil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gs2usr
Old
Thanks Meter 2,551

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

thanks for sharing your efforts, ill be downloading the source over night and tackling this in the morning, with this ill have a head start on it, appreciate sharing your work.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gs2usr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sk8erwitskil
Old
Thanks Meter 2,635

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
so i diff'd the init.rc of the skyrocket cm10 and the init.rc and of the stock nexus4 system image from the android website and theyre exactly the same. so im guessing its not the init.rc. i tried copying over adbd and init from the n4 ramdisk but it gets stuck at the samsung logo.

edit: ignore that. i was looking at the same file. lol. this is what comes from no sleep
the issue is most definitely in the ramdisk. im 99% sure. so if anyone with ramdisk knowledge wants to help it would be very appreciated. i only know a little bit about what it should look like. the BOOTCLASSPATH needs to be changed and some permissions have been changed in 4.2 but besides that im lost. the init.rc that it builds is completely wrong. i think we would be best off taking the cm10 one and editing it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sk8erwitskil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gs2usr
Old
Thanks Meter 2,551

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
the issue is most definitely in the ramdisk. im 99% sure. so if anyone with ramdisk knowledge wants to help it would be very appreciated. i only know a little bit about what it should look like. the BOOTCLASSPATH needs to be changed and some permissions have been changed in 4.2 but besides that im lost. the init.rc that it builds is completely wrong. i think we would be best off taking the cm10 one and editing it.

which kernel modules did you use? since you added the kernel during the build?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gs2usr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sk8erwitskil
Old
Thanks Meter 2,635

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs2usr View Post
which kernel modules did you use? since you added the kernel during the build?
i didnt manually add any modules. i thought those get added from the vendor/samsung/skyrocket folder.

The Following User Says Thank You to sk8erwitskil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gs2usr
Old
Thanks Meter 2,551

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
i didnt manually add any modules. i thought those get added from the vendor/samsung/skyrocket folder.

if the make file was not building you a kernel, then it shouldnt make you any modules, could you check if you have anything on dir system/lib/modules
The Following User Says Thank You to gs2usr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sk8erwitskil
Old
Thanks Meter 2,635

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs2usr View Post
if the make file was not building you a kernel, then it shouldnt make you any modules, could you check if you have anything on dir system/lib/modules
haha wow i totally missed that. it didnt add any modules. imma add the ones from cm10 to the zip and re-install and see if it works.