5,599,033 Members 32,021 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] make a live demo unit a full phone - can we save 500???

Tip us?

s3icc0
Old
(Last edited by s3icc0; 16th November 2012 at 12:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 348
Prompt [Q] make a live demo unit a full phone - can we save 500???

Hi I get a Note2 Live demo unit on Ebay and I was currious it can be turned to full phone.

The Live Demo Unit (N7100X on the box) says it has no baseband inside as well as it has an advertising video running (which can be disabled) and no lockscreen .... maybe few more things but thats not important ....

I have flashed a standard 4.1.1 Samsung software inside using Odin (download mode on demo unit is accessible) and the phone now have all the features (lockscreen, play store .... etc) but still no baseband and it has an extra problem - it is switching off after some time with display off.

I am thinking of two things:
1) Returning the Live Demo Unit software back - I have another one so if it is possible to extract binary from the second one - to this point ... thinking of rooting another demo unit (if root goes) with CWM and using nandbackup from this one to my current ... but damage 2 demo units is not what I want to do ... hope I get some more of them great as a portable multimedia device
2) Flashing it the right way so it will become a full phone (hope dies last) - probably the device will not have an IMEI number so calling wouldnt be possible ... but it can have lockscreen and market ...

Few questions I still cant get answers for:
1) Does it has the modem installed or is it blocked a software way
2) Is the partition same as in standard phone? - standard samsung firmware flashed without problems (single file firmware)
3) Are there any more features hidden by samsung - I am sure samsung is not stupid to sell a full phone for €2 ....... but I still have hope

I would appreciate any help on any of these issues - I am no developer so I don't understand much things under the hood. The €2 Live Demo Unit N7100X turned into €500 N7100 full phone may be your award (if you get any demo unit ).

Have a nice day and thank you all !!!

PS: I am aware of THIS closed thread in General section - but the question is not the same ...
Samsung i9505 Galaxy S4 International LTE
ROM SlimKat @ 4.4.2 - | - Kernel Alucard - | - Launcher Nova - | - Modem XXUFNB9 - | - Recovery CWM - Philz

fenomena
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Samsung GT-N7100X

i have this Note2 Live demo unit too.

anyone can help us?

thanks inadvance

mancuk29
Old
Thanks Meter 112
You have no chance xda users have tried and failed if you search there are a few topics on the said item

All the live demo unit is for its to show people what the phone does id send ur back for a refund

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
HTC EVO 3D
Nexus
Galaxy S2
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
Galaxy Note
Galaxy S3
iPhone 5 (big mistake)
Galaxy Note 2
HTC One in Silver
Galaxy S4
Galaxy Note 3

If you appreciate my help please ensure you thank me.

Also a mad keen photographer - visit my website www.cmsbphotography.com

DMax99
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3icc0 View Post
Hi I get a Note2 Live demo unit on Ebay and I was currious it can be turned to full phone.

The Live Demo Unit (N7100X on the box) says it has no baseband inside as well as it has an advertising video running (which can be disabled) and no lockscreen .... maybe few more things but thats not important ....

I have flashed a standard 4.1.1 Samsung software inside using Odin (download mode on demo unit is accessible) and the phone now have all the features (lockscreen, play store .... etc) but still no baseband and it has an extra problem - it is switching off after some time with display off.

I am thinking of two things:
1) Returning the Live Demo Unit software back - I have another one so if it is possible to extract binary from the second one - to this point ... thinking of rooting another demo unit (if root goes) with CWM and using nandbackup from this one to my current ... but damage 2 demo units is not what I want to do ... hope I get some more of them great as a portable multimedia device
2) Flashing it the right way so it will become a full phone (hope dies last) - probably the device will not have an IMEI number so calling wouldnt be possible ... but it can have lockscreen and market ...

Few questions I still cant get answers for:
1) Does it has the modem installed or is it blocked a software way
2) Is the partition same as in standard phone? - standard samsung firmware flashed without problems (single file firmware)
3) Are there any more features hidden by samsung - I am sure samsung is not stupid to sell a full phone for 2 ....... but I still have hope

I would appreciate any help on any of these issues - I am no developer so I don't understand much things under the hood. The 2 Live Demo Unit N7100X turned into 500 N7100 full phone may be your award (if you get any demo unit ).

Have a nice day and thank you all !!!

PS: I am aware of THIS closed thread in General section - but the question is not the same ...
Where did you get it on eBay? Have you got a link?

Nokia 3310 --> Samsung Star --> Samsung Omnia HD --> Dell Streak --> Samsung Galaxy Note

s3icc0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancuk29 View Post
You have no chance xda users have tried and failed if you search there are a few topics on the said item

All the live demo unit is for its to show people what the phone does id send ur back for a refund

The original effort was to make it a full phone - for me it is just an option and I am now almost sure that this is impossible due to IMEI number missing ... I just would like to make it a working mutlimedia device which will not be randomly shutting down during idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMax99 View Post
Where did you get it on eBay? Have you got a link?

Sorry bro I had the last one (and my friend 2nd one) - you have to look over the internet ...
Samsung i9505 Galaxy S4 International LTE
ROM SlimKat @ 4.4.2 - | - Kernel Alucard - | - Launcher Nova - | - Modem XXUFNB9 - | - Recovery CWM - Philz

agg3l0s7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Good Evening,

I have Live Demo Unit also and i tried to change firmware/rom.. i done it and now is a Note II that cant "see" the sim card...
So now i will keep it like tablet......

If someone knows more things to do im waiting ideas....

Thanks

ankithonda
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I also got N7100X model last day. it shows IMEI - Unknown . Baseband - Unknown .. what modem/rom i should flash to make it working ??

VIPER_GE
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankithonda View Post
I also got N7100X model last day. it shows IMEI - Unknown . Baseband - Unknown .. what modem/rom i should flash to make it working ??
it's imposible, because not installed network switch and more items i buy this one from ebay, it is usable as tablet with WI-FI. Best regards

jutley
Old
Thanks Meter 296
So can you just flash twrp recovery and a custom rom will that work also how much internal memory is showing on mine it looks like 8gb I thought they were 16gb? Is there a way to reclaim the lost internal memory?
Device 1 Nokia lumina 1520 yellow 32gb stock
Device 2 Samsung galaxy note 2 4.3 stock N7100 16gb
Device 3 IPad air 16gb silver (jailbroken evasion)
Device 4 Samsung galaxy gear stock rom sideloaded apps & (sony z ultra GPE)
Device 5 Ipod nano 16gb silver

jutley
Old
Thanks Meter 296
You cam reclaim the full 16gb by flashing the pit file for the n7100 then you will see full memory back also I have a 64gb card and have swapped the external memory to internal so now I have 64gb internal for apps and 16gb external.
Device 1 Nokia lumina 1520 yellow 32gb stock
Device 2 Samsung galaxy note 2 4.3 stock N7100 16gb
Device 3 IPad air 16gb silver (jailbroken evasion)
Device 4 Samsung galaxy gear stock rom sideloaded apps & (sony z ultra GPE)
Device 5 Ipod nano 16gb silver

Tags
demo, demo unit, n7100, n7100x