5,604,292 Members 48,891 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Increasing NEO /System and /Data partitions

Tip us?

MaxWorks
Old
(Last edited by MaxWorks; 1st March 2013 at 11:43 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3519
Default Increasing NEO /System and /Data partitions

Hello Team.

Not everyone knows that the NEO was somewhat offended. For some unknown reason to me NEO section /System and /Data partitions are smaller than on other models Xperia 2011.
It is should be fixed!

We will need:
- FlashTool latest versions (version above 8)
- Installed driver in the system (located in the flashtool\drivers)
- Downloaded NEO V (MT11) .587 FW (Find it in the header. Localization does not matter, I Used nordic) (another .587 FWfor NEO V)
- Installed CWM on the phone, or you can find it in the custom kernel (to make a backup of the installed firmware, and restore it after that)

1. Go to the CWM and do a full backup of your ROM. (you can skip, but will have to re-install the ROM again)
2. Run FlashTool and Flash previously downloaded FW from NEO V 587 with this markers:

3. After flashing reboot and go back to CWM. Do factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache. And restores the previously made backup.

So what we had:

And what we have now:

As you can see /System increased from 312.5 to 400MB, and /Data from 380 to 420mb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flashtool 1.jpg
Views:	17032
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1484986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-15-10-50-56.jpg
Views:	16649
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1484987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-16-01-17-20.jpg
Views:	16571
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1484988  
(2001) Ericsson R520 => (2006) SE K750 => (2011) SE XPERIA neo (Silver) MIUIv4 (VDS 1.2 kernel)

Were donated: 25 USD
Great thanks for support: LBee
The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to MaxWorks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vinhpz0
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Need someone to confirm

Sent from my Xperia Neo using xda app-developers app
The Knife Song And Lyrics

mttca
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhpz0 View Post
Need someone to confirm

Sent from my Xperia Neo using xda app-developers app
Should work as many have confirmed. But be aware of the drawback before deciding if this mod is the right for you.
Me - not (explained in an another topic)

Sent from my MT15i using xda app-developers app

venoma333
Old
Thanks Meter 140
What's the drawback, I haven't experienced any problems and I've been using it for a few days now.

archer928
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I just used the one from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1766539 but we need to fix the camera if we used stock ROM

kuzenka
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWorks View Post
Hello Team.

Not everyone knows that the NEO was somewhat offended. For some unknown reason to me NEO section /System and /Data partitions are smaller than on other models Xperia 2011.
It is should be fixed!

We will need:
- FlashTool latest versions (version above 8)
- Installed driver in the system (located in the flashtool\drivers)
- Downloaded NEO V (MT11) .587 FW (Find it in the header. Localization does not matter, I Used nordic)
- Installed CWM on the phone (to make a backup of the installed firmware, and restore it after that)

1. We go to the CWM and do a full backup of your ROM. (you can skip, but will have to re-install the ROM again)
2. Run FlashTool and Flash previously downloaded FW from NEO V 587 with this markers:

3. After flashing reboot and go back to CWM. Do factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache. And restores the previously made backup.

So what we had:

And what we have now:

As you can see /System increased from 312.5 to 400MB, and /Data from 380 to 420mb.
thanks mate ! it works ! ^^

---------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone : Xperia Neo
Baseband : .77
Kernel : LuPuS v8 inside zip
Bootloader : Unlocked
ROM : moPROJECT42

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------------------------------------------------------------

HIT THANKS IF MY REPLY WAS USEFUL !

The Following User Says Thank You to kuzenka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

grizzlyspid86
Old
Thanks Meter 90

DONATE TO ME
Every Xperia Neo user should have done this. Great tutorial there. I've been using it for about 5 month now and never experience drawbacks or whatsoever.

medozse7s
Old
Thanks Meter 298
where is the downloaded FW from NEO V 587 ?
i can't find it ?
can you give me link for download it
sorry for bad english

BorjaRRR
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I've been using it for 2 months and no problems !

mttca
Old
Thanks Meter 16
It's good that you didn't notice any drawback. it means this mod worked for you as you wanted.

Here is the reason I don't want that.
After the mod, /system increased from 312.5MB to 400MB (88MB difference) and /data from 380MB to 420MB (40MB increased).
From where the space from? It is from the partition intended for /system/vendor. After modding - /system/vendor mount point disappeared, means its contents is now in /system partition.

As I do not use stock rom, the 133MB partition intended for /system/vendor can be wasted. But thanks to alliance kernel, it is (automatically) mounted and used for dalvik cache (described HERE). Without it all the dalvik cache would occupy a lot of space in /data.

In MY CASE, the dalvik cache directory is as big as 98MB. By a simple calculation, I just think the mod can increase the data partition in 40MB, but will cause 98MB of dalvik cache to be moved to /data. So I decided that this new partitioning schema is not for me. I need more space in /data rather than /system.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mttca For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]