How to root your GC100 Galaxy Camera

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Warning
This cannot hurt your device because full recovery is simply a 1.1gig Odin flash away.

Introduction:
This is a Rooted Galaxy Camera CF AutoRoot based on GC100XXALK1.

You Will Need:

Instructions:
  • unzip the CF-Auto-Root-gd1-ekgc100.tar.md5 from the zip package to a place you can find it.
  • Launch the Odin3 application

Odin3-v1-85-download-Step-by-Step-guide-to-Root-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-with-Latest-Original-KE8-Firmware-Kernel-300x214.png

• place CF-Auto-Root-gd1-ekgc100.tar.md5 in the "PDA" section
  • Put your device into Download Mode:
    Remove and replace the battery.
    Press "Volume down+Camera+Power".
  • Connect your device to your machine
  • click start

Conclusion
By default, this device does not show a Warning Triangle. In the future it may. Go back to stock by using the 1.1G recovery package above after using TriangleAway by Chainfire.

Last edited:

pileiba

Aug 8, 2008
overclocking

would the method for overclocking below work on the galaxy camera ? or would you need a custom fix ? (s3 overclocking)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827635

Pierre

Warning
This is untested. This cannot hurt your device because full recovery is simply a 1.1gig Odin flash away.

Introduction:
This is a Rooted Galaxy Camera system.img based on GC100XXALK1. I have bestowed upon it the following modifications.

Added:
SuperSU: /system/app/Superuser.apk (SuperSU authentication app)
Switch User binary: /system/xbin/su (switch user binary needed for superuser)
Busybox: /system/xbin/busybox (a bunch of command line tools usually installed when rooting)
Bash: /system/xbin/bash (the best scriptable shell ever)

You Will Need:

Instructions:
  • unzip the RootedGalaxyCamOdinPackageInside.zip and place the RootedGalaxyCamera.tar.md5 in a place you can find it.

Odin3-v1-85-download-Step-by-Step-guide-to-Root-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-with-Latest-Original-KE8-Firmware-Kernel-300x214.png

• place RootedGalaxyCamera.tar.md5 in the "PDA" section
  • connect your device
  • click start

Conclusion:
You're rooted. (or you're not) either way, leave feedback. If it does not work, flash back using the stock image link above.

Sponsored by Open-Source Heimdall One-Click
Plese contribute to Heimdall. Heimdall allows the same capabilities of Odin on Linux, Mac and Windows. When we get Heimdall working, I will release a Heimdall One-Click which will streamline the process above to "download java app, run it and press flash" for all platforms. . Please contribute by building from source for your platform and testing Heimdall on the Galaxy Camera. http://www.glassechidna.com.au/2012/devblogs/heimdall-1-4-release-candidate-1/ If it does not work, we need someone with a Linux machine to run Wireshark on USB under Linux while flashing with Odin in a Virtual Machine.

molotov_sh

Aug 30, 2010
Warning
You Will Need:

Will this replace the stock recovery? And if so can this be backed up/restored with Odin?

I tend to run pretty much stock (and use something like Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to keep root).

P.S. could a mod verify my account so I don't have to hang around for 5 between posts?

Reactions: xaser66

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Will this replace the stock recovery? And if so can this be backed up/restored with Odin?

I tend to run pretty much stock (and use something like Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to keep root).
it will flash GC100XXALK1 recovery. the real work is in the cache. Don't worry about the recovery. If you're worried about warranty, then just flash GC100XXALK1 to your device and call it a day.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
This mean this, after I root, I have and CWM, it is corect?

No. CWM requires someone with knowledge of kernel development. Unfortunately my forte is hardware and software. I suck at firmware and middle-ware. That requires C language which is where I draw my line.

As far as I know, there are no kernel developers working on this device thus far.

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Rooting a camera... NEVER ever EVER thought that I'd hear those words together! :)

I wish I had this camera, because I'd make a video on how to do this.

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
Rooting a camera... NEVER ever EVER thought that I'd hear those words together! :)

I wish I had this camera, because I'd make a video on how to do this.

Well, many Canon cameras have been rootable for some time to allow you to run the "Magic Lantern" software. But doing that would let you use more of what the sensor was capable of. Still didn't let you run apps :D

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Well, many Canon cameras have been rootable for some time to allow you to run the "Magic Lantern" software. But doing that would let you use more of what the sensor was capable of. Still didn't let you run apps :D

I run Magic Lantern 2.3 on my Canon 60D. The start/stop recording instantly after it stops is freaking amazing.

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Thanks Adam. You're like the Galaxy Camera Guru for now! A real shame there isn't a lot of development interest in this device at present.

Just two questions..

if I flash the back to the stock GC100XXALK1 ROM you advised us to download, using ODIN, will that be sufficient for warranty purposes?
and will we still get OTA updates using your rooting method or again will we need to flash back to that stock ALK1 ROM?

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

mikyhow

Jun 28, 2008
No. CWM requires someone with knowledge of kernel development. Unfortunately my forte is hardware and software. I suck at firmware and middle-ware. That requires C language which is where I draw my line.

As far as I know, there are no kernel developers working on this device thus far.

cwm ok..
8221167516_35861efb9e_o.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning
    This cannot hurt your device because full recovery is simply a 1.1gig Odin flash away.

Introduction:
    This is a Rooted Galaxy Camera CF AutoRoot based on GC100XXALK1.

You Will Need:

Instructions:
    • unzip the CF-Auto-Root-gd1-ekgc100.tar.md5 from the zip package to a place you can find it.

• place CF-Auto-Root-gd1-ekgc100.tar.md5 in the "PDA" section
    • Put your device into Download Mode:
      Remove and replace the battery.
      Press "Volume down+Camera+Power".
    • Connect your device to your machine
    • click start

Conclusion
    By default, this device does not show a Warning Triangle. In the future it may. Go back to stock by using the 1.1G recovery package above after using TriangleAway by Chainfire.
    overclocking

would the method for overclocking below work on the galaxy camera ? or would you need a custom fix ? (s3 overclocking)

Pierre

Warning
    This is untested. This cannot hurt your device because full recovery is simply a 1.1gig Odin flash away.

Introduction:
    This is a Rooted Galaxy Camera system.img based on GC100XXALK1. I have bestowed upon it the following modifications.

Added:
    SuperSU: /system/app/Superuser.apk (SuperSU authentication app)
    Switch User binary: /system/xbin/su (switch user binary needed for superuser)
    Busybox: /system/xbin/busybox (a bunch of command line tools usually installed when rooting)
    Bash: /system/xbin/bash (the best scriptable shell ever)

You Will Need:

Instructions:
    • unzip the RootedGalaxyCamOdinPackageInside.zip and place the RootedGalaxyCamera.tar.md5 in a place you can find it.

• place RootedGalaxyCamera.tar.md5 in the "PDA" section
    • connect your device
    • click start

Conclusion:
    You're rooted. (or you're not) either way, leave feedback. If it does not work, flash back using the stock image link above.

Sponsored by Open-Source Heimdall One-Click
    Plese contribute to Heimdall. Heimdall allows the same capabilities of Odin on Linux, Mac and Windows. When we get Heimdall working, I will release a Heimdall One-Click which will streamline the process above to "download java app, run it and press flash" for all platforms. . Please contribute by building from source for your platform and testing Heimdall on the Galaxy Camera. http://www.glassechidna.com.au/2012/devblogs/heimdall-1-4-release-candidate-1/ If it does not work, we need someone with a Linux machine to run Wireshark on USB under Linux while flashing with Odin in a Virtual Machine.
    Has anyone tried chainfires root app based on the exynos exploit?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050297

[ROOT EXPLOIT+PATCH][2012.12.18] ExynosAbuse APK v1.30

Sent from my SGS3 using Tapatalk
    ROM Sotmax Ultimate V10
    Kernel Yank555.lu-V2.8d

In theory, it should work. Ill give it a go later and report back

Sent from my GT-P5110 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

In theory, it should work. Ill give it a go later and report back

Sent from my GT-P5110 using xda premium

Root by exploit worked fine

All below successful on Stock rom 4.1.1 (GC100XXALK4) -
    Rooted successfully
    Disabled exploit with no effect on camera
    Disabled explot on boot with no effect on camera
    Unrooted using supersu
    However, after unroot, device status is now 'Custom'. I then did a reboot and status is now official again

Sent from my EK-GC100 using xda premium
    ^^Great.

Pierre

You probly wouldn't want to run that kernel. I'm not a kernel guy so I can't tell you for sure.

it will flash GC100XXALK1 recovery. the real work is in the cache. Don't worry about the recovery. If you're worried about warranty, then just flash GC100XXALK1 to your device and call it a day.