Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How to root your GC100 Galaxy Camera

OP AdamOutler

16th November 2012, 04:42 AM   |  #1  
Warning
This cannot hurt your device because full recovery is simply a 1.1gig Odin flash away.

Introduction:
This is a Rooted Galaxy Camera CF AutoRoot based on GC100XXALK1.

You Will Need:
Instructions:
  • unzip the CF-Auto-Root-gd1-ekgc100.tar.md5 from the zip package to a place you can find it.
  • Launch the Odin3 application

• place CF-Auto-Root-gd1-ekgc100.tar.md5 in the "PDA" section
  • Put your device into Download Mode:
    Remove and replace the battery.
    Press "Volume down+Camera+Power".
  • Connect your device to your machine
  • click start

Conclusion
By default, this device does not show a Warning Triangle. In the future it may. Go back to stock by using the 1.1G recovery package above after using TriangleAway by Chainfire.
Last edited by AdamOutler; 25th November 2012 at 08:09 PM.
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2012, 03:41 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

60 posts
overclocking
would the method for overclocking below work on the galaxy camera ? or would you need a custom fix ? (s3 overclocking)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1827635

Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Warning
This is untested. This cannot hurt your device because full recovery is simply a 1.1gig Odin flash away.

Introduction:
This is a Rooted Galaxy Camera system.img based on GC100XXALK1. I have bestowed upon it the following modifications.

Added:
SuperSU: /system/app/Superuser.apk (SuperSU authentication app)
Switch User binary: /system/xbin/su (switch user binary needed for superuser)
Busybox: /system/xbin/busybox (a bunch of command line tools usually installed when rooting)
Bash: /system/xbin/bash (the best scriptable shell ever)

You Will Need:

Instructions:
  • unzip the RootedGalaxyCamOdinPackageInside.zip and place the RootedGalaxyCamera.tar.md5 in a place you can find it.
  • Launch the Odin3 application

• place RootedGalaxyCamera.tar.md5 in the "PDA" section
  • connect your device
  • click start

Conclusion:
You're rooted. (or you're not) either way, leave feedback. If it does not work, flash back using the stock image link above.

Sponsored by Open-Source Heimdall One-Click
Plese contribute to Heimdall. Heimdall allows the same capabilities of Odin on Linux, Mac and Windows. When we get Heimdall working, I will release a Heimdall One-Click which will streamline the process above to "download java app, run it and press flash" for all platforms. . Please contribute by building from source for your platform and testing Heimdall on the Galaxy Camera. http://www.glassechidna.com.au/2012/...e-candidate-1/ If it does not work, we need someone with a Linux machine to run Wireshark on USB under Linux while flashing with Odin in a Virtual Machine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pileiba For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th November 2012, 04:52 AM   |  #3  
Flag Reynosa
Thanks Meter: 89

254 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up Rooted
Works, perfectly on my GCam from AT&T Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to robb13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th November 2012, 06:41 AM   |  #4  
^^Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pileiba

would the method for overclocking below work on the galaxy camera ? or would you need a custom fix ? (s3 overclocking)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1827635

Pierre

You probly wouldn't want to run that kernel. I'm not a kernel guy so I can't tell you for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2012, 08:11 AM   |  #5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 72

355 posts
More
Camera
I just picked up a at&t version of this camera at a at&t store and a update came up right after turning on. Will the root method work if I update it
The Following User Says Thank You to djeddieone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2012, 02:59 PM   |  #6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeddieone

I just picked up a at&t version of this camera at a at&t store and a update came up right after turning on. Will the root method work if I update it

yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Warning
You Will Need:

Will this replace the stock recovery? And if so can this be backed up/restored with Odin?

I tend to run pretty much stock (and use something like Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to keep root).

P.S. could a mod verify my account so I don't have to hang around for 5 between posts?
The Following User Says Thank You to molotov_sh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2012, 10:34 PM   |  #8  
[QUOTE=molotov_sh;34462793]Will this replace the stock recovery? And if so can this be backed up/restored with Odin?

I tend to run pretty much stock (and use something like Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to keep root).[QUOTE]it will flash GC100XXALK1 recovery. the real work is in the cache. Don't worry about the recovery. If you're worried about warranty, then just flash GC100XXALK1 to your device and call it a day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2012, 05:28 PM   |  #9  
Flag KRAGUJEVAC
Thanks Meter: 8

178 posts
More
This mean this, after I root, I have and CWM, it is corect?
The Following User Says Thank You to dejanxxxx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2012, 06:03 PM   |  #10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanxxxx

This mean this, after I root, I have and CWM, it is corect?

No. CWM requires someone with knowledge of kernel development. Unfortunately my forte is hardware and software. I suck at firmware and middle-ware. That requires C language which is where I draw my line.

As far as I know, there are no kernel developers working on this device thus far.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread