Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

OP egyptshun

16th November 2012, 05:53 AM   |  #1  
egyptshun's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
(OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
(IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
7. reboot the phone
8. Update google maps (very important)
9.reboot for safe measure
10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
11. boot up maps
12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Some people asked about if mobile odin is usable when going back to stock, and yeah it is just be safe doing it and make sure it is the whole package.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.
Last edited by egyptshun; 20th January 2013 at 03:59 AM.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to egyptshun For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2012, 05:51 PM   |  #2  
egyptshun's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
Sticky? Since ALOT of people have this problem on all ROMs...
OP updated with new info.
Last edited by egyptshun; 16th November 2012 at 07:05 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to egyptshun For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2012, 11:42 PM   |  #3  
crypted's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 4,138
 
2,473 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Donate to Me
More
I added your content across my S3 posts for the aGPS Patch.

Thank you for helping out. A lot of people were being real assholes without really using their mental facilities to connect the dots.

This definitely clarifies the matter and proves that I'm not their issue. GPS no work, patch no work, no blame patch...eh? That's how I see it anyway...

Gracias.
17th November 2012, 01:17 AM   |  #4  
egyptshun's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted

I added your content across my S3 posts for the aGPS Patch.

Thank you for helping out. A lot of people were being real assholes without really using their mental facilities to connect the dots.

This definitely clarifies the matter and proves that I'm not their issue. GPS no work, patch no work, no blame patch...eh? That's how I see it anyway...

Gracias.

No problemo hombre!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app
26th November 2012, 01:42 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
80 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2
27th November 2012, 09:14 AM   |  #6  
egyptshun's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fabe

Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2

Yup yup! No problem.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to egyptshun For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th November 2012, 05:14 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
More
Quote:

[With no GPS icon showing up]
(OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no a)
3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
(IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

I flashed unrooted stock and did the hard reset, then found out that all my things on my internal sdcard (pictures, music, downloads,nand backups) were all gone.

Pretty misleading, especially since "no internal storage will be lost except the usual data" is stated.

Backup the things you want to keep before doing this.
Last edited by Tarantino5; 30th November 2012 at 05:19 PM.
3rd December 2012, 04:41 AM   |  #8  
egyptshun's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantino5

I flashed unrooted stock and did the hard reset, then found out that all my things on my internal sdcard (pictures, music, downloads,nand backups) were all gone.

Pretty misleading, especially since "no internal storage will be lost except the usual data" is stated.

Backup the things you want to keep before doing this.

It doesn't.you must have gone in stock recovery and factory reset. That's how you format the internal. Don't blame me buddy.

Samsung says it won't format internal.
Me doing that code 20+ times before I found this method to work also proves that it doesn't.
Last factor that could have played out in this is you. Blame yourself.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app
3rd December 2012, 07:59 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Temple, TX
Thanks Meter: 125
 
312 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Donate to Me
More
Lost GPS from JB leaks when I flashed Bacon JB rom. Just did a factory reset from within the settings menu of current Bacon JB Rom 1.0.1 and my GPS is back. Just FYI.
3rd December 2012, 12:19 PM   |  #10  
egyptshun's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartx

Lost GPS from JB leaks when I flashed Bacon JB rom. Just did a factory reset from within the settings menu of current Bacon JB Rom 1.0.1 and my GPS is back. Just FYI.

second line of OP already... read everything.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes