Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,643 Members 39,727 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Tip us?

Deggy
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Confirming that I did all steps except without doing Odin back to non root stock ROM. I was on intergalactic ROM the whole time and got GPS back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
One of the best sites for wallpapers for computers (and maybe smartphones) -> http://wallbase.cc/random

Add me on Google+! -> http://bit.ly/V1wJmi

Elaldeano
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptshun View Post
Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
(OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
(IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
7. reboot the phone
8. Update google maps (very important)
9.reboot for safe measure
10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
11. boot up maps
12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.
DUDE!!!! a thousand thank you's to you my friend. Got my Freaking GPS working thanks to this post.

For those that may have same problem here is my story:
flashed a 747 graystone AT&T and restored Titanium back up. thats when GPS started not showing up. flashed another rom and nothing. when back to stock unrooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 and nothing. Then I say this post. Went back to original stock rom, got stuck at samsung logo, went into stock recovery using hardware buttons and performed both cache and factory wipe. was able to get thru the logo but no GPS. went into dial and put the # combo provided in step #2 and voila! you really have to go into maps WITH 4G/LTE ON! in order to check whether GPS icon goes on.

now back to rooting lol

egyptshun
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 271

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaldeano View Post
DUDE!!!! a thousand thank you's to you my friend. Got my Freaking GPS working thanks to this post.

For those that may have same problem here is my story:
flashed a 747 graystone AT&T and restored Titanium back up. thats when GPS started not showing up. flashed another rom and nothing. when back to stock unrooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 and nothing. Then I say this post. Went back to original stock rom, got stuck at samsung logo, went into stock recovery using hardware buttons and performed both cache and factory wipe. was able to get thru the logo but no GPS. went into dial and put the # combo provided in step #2 and voila! you really have to go into maps WITH 4G/LTE ON! in order to check whether GPS icon goes on.

now back to rooting lol
I'm just glad it worked for you guys

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

New Xperia ICX Theme [CM10.1, CM9, AOKP, Paranoid Android]
Check it out on Google Play <--You won't be sorry! (: [ ITS FREE ]
[Theme suggestion box and QnA HERE ]

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” -Gandhi

Old 2012 themes:

war6763
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

I found that going from stock over to CWM10 sometimes breaks GPS... What I did to resolve the issue was wipe cache/data > Odin to stock rooted > Flash CWM10 again.

Worked for me! Hope it works for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to war6763 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

killah.kam
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
(OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
(IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
7. reboot the phone
8. Update google maps (very important)
9.reboot for safe measure
10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
11. boot up maps
12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.

I did the first 4 steps to a T, worked for me! Had to flash the stock firmware for ICS via Odin, then did the hard reset using that phone code *2767*3855#, brought my gps back to life! I suggest EVERYONE try this before going back to their phone carrier and getting their phone replaced!

Thanks so much man!

SGS-i747M - Bell Canada.

bradhoschar
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by war6763 View Post
I found that going from stock over to CWM10 sometimes breaks GPS... What I did to resolve the issue was wipe cache/data > Odin to stock rooted > Flash CWM10 again.

Worked for me! Hope it works for you!

That's what I had to do....as much as I enjoy flashing ROMs and trying new stuff out, it is a pain to go all the way back to stock...but I wish I would've read this first!
Big thanks!

mellojoe
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Thank you! This worked. Followed your guide and my GPS is back. Awesome.
mellojoe
Samsung Galaxy S3
AT&T

Neflhiem
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Default Thanks

Lost my GPS after with Black Jelly Rom, went to Rooted Stock JB update from Mr. Robinsons post and still didnt have GPS. I couldnt get the coded Factory reset to work but doing it in the phone worked like a champ. Thanks for the info!

d3athsd00r
Old
Thanks Meter 279
Quote:

Thanks bro. Nothing else worked except for the first 4 steps. I tried factory resetting on JB and ICS from the 3e recovery like another thread said to, but yours worked on rooted LG1.

Cheers man.

cjranucci
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Stock JB rooted with Google Wallet fix. Steps 4 - 12 fixed my GPS issues. Thanks a ton.