Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

OP egyptshun

3rd December 2012, 03:59 PM   |  #11  
Senior Member
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 132
 
747 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Confirming that I did all steps except without doing Odin back to non root stock ROM. I was on intergalactic ROM the whole time and got GPS back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
3rd December 2012, 06:30 PM   |  #12  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptshun

Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
(OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
(IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
7. reboot the phone
8. Update google maps (very important)
9.reboot for safe measure
10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
11. boot up maps
12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.

DUDE!!!! a thousand thank you's to you my friend. Got my Freaking GPS working thanks to this post.

For those that may have same problem here is my story:
flashed a 747 graystone AT&T and restored Titanium back up. thats when GPS started not showing up. flashed another rom and nothing. when back to stock unrooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 and nothing. Then I say this post. Went back to original stock rom, got stuck at samsung logo, went into stock recovery using hardware buttons and performed both cache and factory wipe. was able to get thru the logo but no GPS. went into dial and put the # combo provided in step #2 and voila! you really have to go into maps WITH 4G/LTE ON! in order to check whether GPS icon goes on.

now back to rooting lol
4th December 2012, 05:30 AM   |  #13  
egyptshun's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaldeano

DUDE!!!! a thousand thank you's to you my friend. Got my Freaking GPS working thanks to this post.

For those that may have same problem here is my story:
flashed a 747 graystone AT&T and restored Titanium back up. thats when GPS started not showing up. flashed another rom and nothing. when back to stock unrooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 and nothing. Then I say this post. Went back to original stock rom, got stuck at samsung logo, went into stock recovery using hardware buttons and performed both cache and factory wipe. was able to get thru the logo but no GPS. went into dial and put the # combo provided in step #2 and voila! you really have to go into maps WITH 4G/LTE ON! in order to check whether GPS icon goes on.

now back to rooting lol

I'm just glad it worked for you guys

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app
5th December 2012, 07:40 AM   |  #14  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptshun

I'm just glad it worked for you guys

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

I found that going from stock over to CWM10 sometimes breaks GPS... What I did to resolve the issue was wipe cache/data > Odin to stock rooted > Flash CWM10 again.

Worked for me! Hope it works for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to war6763 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th December 2012, 09:11 PM   |  #15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptshun

Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
(OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
(IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
7. reboot the phone
8. Update google maps (very important)
9.reboot for safe measure
10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
11. boot up maps
12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.



I did the first 4 steps to a T, worked for me! Had to flash the stock firmware for ICS via Odin, then did the hard reset using that phone code *2767*3855#, brought my gps back to life! I suggest EVERYONE try this before going back to their phone carrier and getting their phone replaced!

Thanks so much man!

SGS-i747M - Bell Canada.
6th December 2012, 03:03 PM   |  #16  
bradhoschar's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 51
 
134 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by war6763

I found that going from stock over to CWM10 sometimes breaks GPS... What I did to resolve the issue was wipe cache/data > Odin to stock rooted > Flash CWM10 again.

Worked for me! Hope it works for you!


That's what I had to do....as much as I enjoy flashing ROMs and trying new stuff out, it is a pain to go all the way back to stock...but I wish I would've read this first!
Big thanks!
6th December 2012, 03:26 PM   |  #17  
mellojoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
375 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Thank you! This worked. Followed your guide and my GPS is back. Awesome.
6th December 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #18  
Neflhiem's Avatar
Member
Clearwater
Thanks Meter: 2
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Thanks
Lost my GPS after with Black Jelly Rom, went to Rooted Stock JB update from Mr. Robinsons post and still didnt have GPS. I couldnt get the coded Factory reset to work but doing it in the phone worked like a champ. Thanks for the info!
18th December 2012, 06:34 AM   |  #19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 280
 
1,510 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptshun

I'm just glad it worked for you guys

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

Thanks bro. Nothing else worked except for the first 4 steps. I tried factory resetting on JB and ICS from the 3e recovery like another thread said to, but yours worked on rooted LG1.

Cheers man.
19th December 2012, 08:18 PM   |  #20  
cjranucci's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 72
 
330 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Stock JB rooted with Google Wallet fix. Steps 4 - 12 fixed my GPS issues. Thanks a ton.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes