Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,406 Members 42,361 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Tip us?

egyptshun
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 271

DONATE TO ME
np buddies, this is what xda is for, collaborating ideas and knowledge to make our phones better.

New Xperia ICX Theme [CM10.1, CM9, AOKP, Paranoid Android]
Check it out on Google Play <--You won't be sorry! (: [ ITS FREE ]
[Theme suggestion box and QnA HERE ]

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” -Gandhi

Old 2012 themes:

nest75068
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjranucci View Post
Stock JB rooted with Google Wallet fix. Steps 4 - 12 fixed my GPS issues. Thanks a ton.
This

I tried steps 1-3 bit hot an error on the dial code. Did the rest and it worked.
Mine
LG G3 rooted w/ Towelroot - running Xposed framework and G3 Tweaks

Wife's

Bruce Lee
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 369
Can I use mobile odin for GPS fix? I have no GPS and I am on the go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Phone:
16GB Black Nexus 5 running Stock 4.4.4 with CharizardX Kernel

Past Devices:
ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII
ATT Motorola Dual Core Atrix 4G
ATT Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Unlocked HTC G1
32GB Nexus 7
Blackberry Playbook

Google+ page for chatty XDA members!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102405...48467738/posts

cjranucci
Old
Thanks Meter 72
While this works great to fix GPS (part one, deleting Maps updates, restarting, and reinstalling) I have to do this about every other week. The real question is why does GPS keep breaking. I only realize it is broke when I am in the car and need it. Pretty frustrating.
AT&T Galaxy S5

Technomancer
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 423
Well, it looks like GPS is really wonky on my wife's S3 as well. She is running stock rooted AT&T ROM. At random times while driving with GPS on GPS would just stop working, no icon showing at all, GPS Status doesn't show any sats. The only cure is to reboot the phone. Toggling GPS on/off doesn't help. I did full wipe reinstall before and the problem persists.

It feels like software problem. The weird thing is that init.rc on the phone does reference some gps daemon that doesn't exists in /system/bin and I suspect that all the GPS data is coming from RIL and modem firmware. But I don't see anything suspicious in logcat.

Bruce Lee
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 369
Just fixed mine. Did the no GPS symbol at all method and it worked. Good to know thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Phone:
16GB Black Nexus 5 running Stock 4.4.4 with CharizardX Kernel

Past Devices:
ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII
ATT Motorola Dual Core Atrix 4G
ATT Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Unlocked HTC G1
32GB Nexus 7
Blackberry Playbook

Google+ page for chatty XDA members!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102405...48467738/posts

brunurb
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default gps lock, but not accurate?

I followed all the steps in the OP, and flashed the gps zip as well, now it gives me "location set by GPS" in the notifications, but when I go into Maps, it says it's "accurate to 1000 meters"... I've had GPS working correctly on this phone previously...

running CM 10.1 nightlies, i know GPS was working as of a couple weeks ago, but hadn't really checked recently until today.

any ideas?

Bzow
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
Well, it looks like GPS is really wonky on my wife's S3 as well. She is running stock rooted AT&T ROM. At random times while driving with GPS on GPS would just stop working, no icon showing at all, GPS Status doesn't show any sats. The only cure is to reboot the phone. Toggling GPS on/off doesn't help. I did full wipe reinstall before and the problem persists.

It feels like software problem. The weird thing is that init.rc on the phone does reference some gps daemon that doesn't exists in /system/bin and I suspect that all the GPS data is coming from RIL and modem firmware. But I don't see anything suspicious in logcat.
This is exactly what's happening to me. I've only had my phone for a month and a half or so, and I was trying to stick to stock. I'm running stock JB, not rooted. I use GPS every day, so I've been thinking about rooting and flashing a custom ROM to try to fix this, but it seems like a lot of people are having this problem.
Samsung Galaxy S3
ROM: S3Rx 3.0

HTC Inspire 4G (Retired)
ROM: aospX
Radio: 12.69a.60.29U_26.17.14.11_M
RIL: HTC-RIL 2.2.0018G
Need Dropbox?

cjranucci
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunurb View Post
I followed all the steps in the OP, and flashed the gps zip as well, now it gives me "location set by GPS" in the notifications, but when I go into Maps, it says it's "accurate to 1000 meters"... I've had GPS working correctly on this phone previously...

running CM 10.1 nightlies, i know GPS was working as of a couple weeks ago, but hadn't really checked recently until today.

any ideas?
If you are running nightlies, you should expect this to happen more often than not. If you depend on your GPS, I would recommend running a stable release.
AT&T Galaxy S5
The Following User Says Thank You to cjranucci For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

norocelpopa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My phone did the same GPS trick. But after re-flashing the last rom that had a working gps, the gps came back to life.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2