[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

OP egyptshun

20th December 2012, 11:09 PM   |  #21  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271

646 posts
Donate to Me
np buddies, this is what xda is for, collaborating ideas and knowledge to make our phones better.
21st December 2012, 02:00 AM   |  #22  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 120

908 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjranucci

Stock JB rooted with Google Wallet fix. Steps 4 - 12 fixed my GPS issues. Thanks a ton.

This

I tried steps 1-3 bit hot an error on the dial code. Did the rest and it worked.
7th January 2013, 08:50 PM   |  #23  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 372

2,099 posts
More
Can I use mobile odin for GPS fix? I have no GPS and I am on the go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
7th January 2013, 10:52 PM   |  #24  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 72

327 posts
More
While this works great to fix GPS (part one, deleting Maps updates, restarting, and reinstalling) I have to do this about every other week. The real question is why does GPS keep breaking. I only realize it is broke when I am in the car and need it. Pretty frustrating.
7th January 2013, 11:07 PM   |  #25  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 423

560 posts
More
Unhappy
Well, it looks like GPS is really wonky on my wife's S3 as well. She is running stock rooted AT&T ROM. At random times while driving with GPS on GPS would just stop working, no icon showing at all, GPS Status doesn't show any sats. The only cure is to reboot the phone. Toggling GPS on/off doesn't help. I did full wipe reinstall before and the problem persists.

It feels like software problem. The weird thing is that init.rc on the phone does reference some gps daemon that doesn't exists in /system/bin and I suspect that all the GPS data is coming from RIL and modem firmware. But I don't see anything suspicious in logcat.
8th January 2013, 04:51 AM   |  #26  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 372

2,099 posts
More
Just fixed mine. Did the no GPS symbol at all method and it worked. Good to know thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
8th January 2013, 04:44 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
gps lock, but not accurate?
I followed all the steps in the OP, and flashed the gps zip as well, now it gives me "location set by GPS" in the notifications, but when I go into Maps, it says it's "accurate to 1000 meters"... I've had GPS working correctly on this phone previously...

running CM 10.1 nightlies, i know GPS was working as of a couple weeks ago, but hadn't really checked recently until today.

any ideas?
8th January 2013, 06:45 PM   |  #28  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 170

520 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomancer

Well, it looks like GPS is really wonky on my wife's S3 as well. She is running stock rooted AT&T ROM. At random times while driving with GPS on GPS would just stop working, no icon showing at all, GPS Status doesn't show any sats. The only cure is to reboot the phone. Toggling GPS on/off doesn't help. I did full wipe reinstall before and the problem persists.

It feels like software problem. The weird thing is that init.rc on the phone does reference some gps daemon that doesn't exists in /system/bin and I suspect that all the GPS data is coming from RIL and modem firmware. But I don't see anything suspicious in logcat.

This is exactly what's happening to me. I've only had my phone for a month and a half or so, and I was trying to stick to stock. I'm running stock JB, not rooted. I use GPS every day, so I've been thinking about rooting and flashing a custom ROM to try to fix this, but it seems like a lot of people are having this problem.
8th January 2013, 07:31 PM   |  #29  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 72

327 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunurb

I followed all the steps in the OP, and flashed the gps zip as well, now it gives me "location set by GPS" in the notifications, but when I go into Maps, it says it's "accurate to 1000 meters"... I've had GPS working correctly on this phone previously...

running CM 10.1 nightlies, i know GPS was working as of a couple weeks ago, but hadn't really checked recently until today.

any ideas?

If you are running nightlies, you should expect this to happen more often than not. If you depend on your GPS, I would recommend running a stable release.
The Following User Says Thank You to cjranucci For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2013, 01:07 AM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
My phone did the same GPS trick. But after re-flashing the last rom that had a working gps, the gps came back to life.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread