FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

651 posts
Thanks Meter: 271

By egyptshun, Recognized Themer on 16th November 2012, 04:53 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
13th February 2013, 03:05 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markandmyia

You can download the app "gps status" from the play store (free) and you can verify your signal with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

gps status work perfect i locked some sat so my rom work perfect thanks

20th February 2013, 03:05 PM |#52  
dallaS
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Just a monkey wrench to throw in here.. what if this happens on a NEVER rooted stock JB phone ... any ideas to the cause ?
21st February 2013, 03:47 AM |#53  
Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 5,172

More
Earlier today my GPS had stopped working (i.e. no GPS icon, no satellites shown) after flashing the Task360 AOKP 4.2.2 ROM. After pulling my hair out all day, I fixed it by flashing Bell Canada's ICS ROM and then inputting the dialer code *2767*3855#. I tested it by enabling GPS and running Google Maps.

Just remember guys, as it says in Step 1-3 of post #1, use an *ICS* stock firmware, not Jelly Bean. Otherwise the dialer code will generate an error and your GPS won't get fixed this way!

Then I flashed my stock Jelly Bean firmware from Rogers and all was well again with my GPS in JB. I think I'll stick to TouchWiz from now on....

Here's a link to a quick download to the Bell ICS ROM:
http://filecloud.io/74kmysqr

EDIT: Credit should go to this post from Nov. 8th 2012 (user TheLovableDoodleBear). I'm unable to thank the post for some reason.
Last edited by dsixda; 21st February 2013 at 04:08 AM.
22nd February 2013, 02:13 AM |#54  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 380

More
@egyptshun

I came across and interesting thing while having a gps disappearing issue again. This was my second issue with GPS and I posted my first one earlier in the thread.

So this worked when I did it. I didn't follow your guide. I hope you can add this to the OP to help others out.

When I lost gps on flashing a ROM, I tried wiping everything and flashing my restore again and no gps in my restore.

Here is what worked. I flashed a different ROM and of course the GPS didnt work with no symbol. I then did a factory reset in settings. After a factory reset it worked. I then flash my restore of a saved ROM that I backed up I tried before and I still had my working GPS.

Here is what I think happened and i think is a new way or possible way to fix GPS.

If you had the gps symbol before in a latest stored restore, you can use it to to help fix GPS on the go.

Flash a new rom to see if GPS is working....

If not, factory reset from in settings.

Then you can reflash your restore.

I hope this make sense in some way. I know the directions in the op say to wipe the phone completely so you lose a recovery and root. They way I proposed keeps your root and recovery.
Last edited by Bruce Lee; 22nd February 2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling
22nd February 2013, 02:45 AM |#55  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 271

Donate to Me
More
Tbh I have tried that and it is not a guaranteed method, I had about 0-10% success rate and it didn't last long when it did so I would have put that up there but I think it is too easy for people to mess up and get wrong then flame on here for posting a low success rate thing that isn't quick. People like flaming. flame. underwear. flaming underwear . so yeah, if they want its not a big thread to look through but I don't like when people drop their coffee because of something I wrote.
The Following User Says Thank You to egyptshun For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 03:37 AM |#56  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 380

More
Re: [READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptshun

Tbh I have tried that and it is not a guaranteed method, I had about 0-10% success rate and it didn't last long when it did so I would have put that up there but I think it is too easy for people to mess up and get wrong then flame on here for posting a low success rate thing that isn't quick. People like flaming. flame. underwear. flaming underwear . so yeah, if they want its not a big thread to look through but I don't like when people drop their coffee because of something I wrote.

Oh I didn't know you had already tried that. Good to know. If you think it's necessary I will edit the post if you would like so no one gets confused. Thanks for getting back to me with input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
24th February 2013, 10:00 PM |#57  
Flag Orlando Florida
Thanks Meter: 32

Donate to Me
More
IT WORKS
after weeks of trying to get it fixed....last stop was xda forums and it worked

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

Try that out

TY dude
26th February 2013, 10:28 PM |#58  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 1,456

More
Just my own personal observations.
It doesnt seem to happen to me while "running" a ROM, it mainly happens while flashing OR just after flashing anew ROM(it hasn't mattered which ROM). I did notice that(I just lost the symbol again ) I did a factory reset, and upgraded ROM's yesterday, and I noticed that when it was restoring My Playstore Apps, the battery got REALLY hot. I've noticed this on 3 or 4 different occasions after upgrading, the battery got hotter-n-hell, and the GPS symbol was later gone. Now, I dont use the GPS a whole lot, so I dont see it's gone right away, but those are just what I'm thinking.

Just re-flashed back to stock LEM, did your magic trick to get GPS back and have updated to a custom ROM, so we'll see what happens next
27th February 2013, 03:38 PM |#59  
Account currently disabled
Flag Mississippi
Thanks Meter: 3,012

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangi26

Just my own personal observations.
It doesnt seem to happen to me while "running" a ROM, it mainly happens while flashing OR just after flashing anew ROM(it hasn't mattered which ROM). I did notice that(I just lost the symbol again ) I did a factory reset, and upgraded ROM's yesterday, and I noticed that when it was restoring My Playstore Apps, the battery got REALLY hot. I've noticed this on 3 or 4 different occasions after upgrading, the battery got hotter-n-hell, and the GPS symbol was later gone. Now, I dont use the GPS a whole lot, so I dont see it's gone right away, but those are just what I'm thinking.

Just re-flashed back to stock LEM, did your magic trick to get GPS back and have updated to a custom ROM, so we'll see what happens next

FasterFix and GPS Test are what I use... FasterFix to set it to North America server, and GPS Test to clear and update the A-GPS data, and with GPS Test open, enable GPS... It locks in seconds indoors to 10+ satellites... Part of my setup routine...
Last edited by Quasimodem; 27th February 2013 at 03:45 PM.
28th February 2013, 12:45 AM |#60  
Flag McGuire AFB
Thanks Meter: 131

More
Thanks so much. I just bought a GS3 for my wife off swappa and I'm pretty sure the guy knew about the phone having the problem because he sold it to me at a great deal. Sent a couple bucks your way because you saved me from ripping my hair out. Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to droidmakespwn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2013, 04:29 AM |#61  
Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 5,172

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem

FasterFix and GPS Test are what I use... FasterFix to set it to North America server, and GPS Test to clear and update the A-GPS data, and with GPS Test open, enable GPS... It locks in seconds indoors to 10+ satellites... Part of my setup routine...

This doesn't fix the issue, I had tried already. FasterFix and GPS Test will have no effect if the GPS can't even start.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread