Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 45,478 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hard Brick Prevention and developing UnBrickable SD

Tip us?

AdamOutler
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9,623

DONATE TO ME
Default Hard Brick Prevention and developing UnBrickable SD

Some general rules:
It is not recommended to flash bootloaders on your device unless necessary. When flashing bootloaders, make sure the model number matches the device you are flashing. Also, always use a new cable without any wiggle room or cable damage.

To get into download mode to use Odin or Heimdall:
Remove and replace battery.
hold Volume Down & Home then press power while continuing to hold power.
You can now use Odin or Heimdall to flash a stock ROM package.

The Fix for Hard Bricks:
In the event that you cannot get to download mode, please contact me. I am developing a boot-from-sdcard fix for bricked Galaxy Cameras based on the methods used in i9300 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34139922. The hardware mod must be located to boot Odin Mode (Loke Daemon) the SDCard. JTAG will not work on Exynos 4412 devices.

I am subscribed to this thread.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
Wanna see the longest Linux BASH script ever made? click here.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trogdan
Old
(Last edited by trogdan; 30th November 2012 at 09:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
Some general rules:
It is not recommended to flash bootloaders on your device unless necessary. When flashing bootloaders, make sure the model number matches the device you are flashing. Also, always use a new cable without any wiggle room or cable damage.

To get into download mode to use Odin or Heimdall:
Remove and replace battery.
hold Volume Down & Home then press power while continuing to hold power.
You can now use Odin or Heimdall to flash a stock ROM package.

The Fix for Hard Bricks:
In the event that you cannot get to download mode, please contact me. I am developing a boot-from-sdcard fix for bricked Galaxy Cameras based on the methods used in i9300 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34139922. The hardware mod must be located to boot Odin Mode (Loke Daemon) the SDCard. JTAG will not work on Exynos 4412 devices.

I am subscribed to this thread.
Why will JTAG not work on Exynos 4412? Also, if i wanted to view UART output from the GT-I9300, is all i need a linux box with a cable like this?

--UPDATE: looks like you did a video for the Captivate on your UART jig. Taking a look now for resistor values regarding the GS3, perhaps an oscilloscope would help here?

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9,623

DONATE TO ME
There is no UART output on USB on this device. Also Exynos4412 JTAG is usually disabled except for the Nexus10.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline

trogdan
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
There is no UART output on USB on this device. Also Exynos4412 JTAG is usually disabled except for the Nexus10.
Bummer, I just saw that it looks like you had to interface directly to 2 board pins on the Galaxy Camera to get UART i imagine it will be similar on the GS3.

umfaruki
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Touch screen not responding

hi, i am not sure if its the right place to post or not. i tried to root my camera with galaxy s3's kernel(using sgs3 toolkit) and after flashing the kernel nothing happen but my cameras screen stop responding. i tried to flash default frimware via odin but touch screen isnt working.
any advice please

regards

robb13
Old
Thanks Meter 88

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by umfaruki View Post
hi, i am not sure if its the right place to post or not. i tried to root my camera with galaxy s3's kernel(using sgs3 toolkit) and after flashing the kernel nothing happen but my cameras screen stop responding. i tried to flash default frimware via odin but touch screen isnt working.
any advice please

regards
Why would you do that when Adam gave us a specific root method for our GCams? You should probably post this in general section. I sure hope someone can help you out. It would be a bummer if you lost your camera

Good Luck.
Visit AndroideMex my Spanish speaking Android Community.
Follow us @androide_mex
Like us on Facebook
Or add us to your circles on Google +

rudie_techie
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I have a bricked GC100. efs screwed up. boot loops. boots in recover, boots in download mode flashes all available stock firmware, doesn't boot normally. tried booting up after flashing, factory settings after flashing. Any hope for this device?
Phones - Nokia 1100 | Nokia 3650 | Nokia 6280 | Spice QT66 | Blackberry Curve 8520 | Don't remember all 15 phones sorry... | Micromax a60 | Motorola Milestone - CM7.2.4d | Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 GT-P3100 [SOLD] | Samsung Galaxy Camera EK GC100 [Stock - Rooted - CWM] |

Android FTw

BB Pin : 29452C07

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9,623

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudie_techie View Post
I have a bricked GC100. efs screwed up. boot loops. boots in recover, boots in download mode flashes all available stock firmware, doesn't boot normally. tried booting up after flashing, factory settings after flashing. Any hope for this device?
. Did you do a factory reset/wipe data?

rudie_techie
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Yeah... installed stock recover, didn't work, tried with CWR, didn't work... went through all available post, nothing helped... boot animation shows, samsung logo shows then again boot animation...
Phones - Nokia 1100 | Nokia 3650 | Nokia 6280 | Spice QT66 | Blackberry Curve 8520 | Don't remember all 15 phones sorry... | Micromax a60 | Motorola Milestone - CM7.2.4d | Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 GT-P3100 [SOLD] | Samsung Galaxy Camera EK GC100 [Stock - Rooted - CWM] |

Android FTw

rudie_techie
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Finally got it fixed. As GC100 is similar to S3, downloaded efs file for S3 flashed it via odin through bootloader and voila... attaching the file for reference if anyone else gets into trouble!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Restore_EFS_GC100.tar.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.2 KB, 7 views)

Android FTw