Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,432 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][4.2.1/4.2][JOP40D/JOP40C] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Tip us?

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCALkID View Post
What do you mean by customized?... there's a difference between an odexed apk and deodexed apk and that will change the size of it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
What I mean is, when I decompile, modify and recompile the framework.apk file, making only a 1 character change effectively, the filesize of the apk goes from ~9MB to ~5MB.

heliumv2
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I receive text messages. I think it is possible to have voice calls enabled, it is Just a matter of time.
Google Nexus 5 White 32GB + LG G Pad 8.3 White + Z Ultra 4G White

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliumv2 View Post
I receive text messages. I think it is possible to have voice calls enabled, it is Just a matter of time.
The two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

ben1066
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 223
I highly doubt the actual hardware is any different, it would be more expensive to produce two different pieces of silicon. They may be "disabled" physically, however I doubt it, it is most likely the radio's firmware.

stridger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1066 View Post
I highly doubt the actual hardware is any different, it would be more expensive to produce two different pieces of silicon. They may be "disabled" physically, however I doubt it, it is most likely the radio's firmware.
I agree with that. It will be similar to the 3G Galaxy Tab, where you can enable the functionality through a custom radio:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1875024

I don't know whether this was a leaked or a hacked radio, but I'm sure it must be possible in software, it just may be very hard.

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 480
We're off topic here but just to point out, if it's a radio hack then part of the challenge is finding radio firmware for a comparable device that does have phone functionality enabled. On the Samsung devices, many of th em have parts in common that made it easy to cross flash radios.

Asus has not released very many phones as they have concentrated on the tablet market. Neither of the Padfones uses a Tegra 3 so I wouldn't imagine the radios would be cross compatible.

brainmaster
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4491

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonic View Post
What I mean is, when I decompile, modify and recompile the framework.apk file, making only a 1 character change effectively, the filesize of the apk goes from ~9MB to ~5MB.
Because its been compressed.

Buy me a Coffee - here for US and here for EU.

bohlool
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default details

Thanks for this. Would you please give more detail about how you did it? Where can I found the fixed apktool (latest one from google code site is not working for framework-res)?

Also after unpacking, which setting did you change to enable tethering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridger View Post
PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES.

You may have noticed that the Nexus 7 3G does not have the tethering options enabled by default.

I couldn't live with that (that was partially the point why I got the 3G version), so have patched the framework to enable those options. Partial credits go to PaulOBrien@MoDaCo who has fixed the apktool for Android 4.2 .

To get it to work just flash the ZIP below. It will only work on the newest JOP40C release, and obviously only if you have a 3G device. Please do not try it on the WiFi-only Nexus 7 .

Please note that it doesn't do a backup of the original framework-res.apk, so you can either make one yourself, or you can reflash the factory system image if you want to go back to stock later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9c2jslwq6...abletether.zip
Google Nexus One (T-Mobile), Rooted stock Gingerbread 2.3.3 (Locked boot-loader )

punshkin
Old
Thanks Meter 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonic View Post
Yes and no. You can enable the FUNCTION of voice calling in the framework (it's in values/bools.xml). All this does is allow the dialer to come up. However, so far, no one has been able to actually get voice calls to work through it.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Is there a reason why customized versions of framework.apk are half the size of the original?
people have suggested, a build.prop modification might work - however noone has tried it yet. Have you tried this before? might be worth a shot
[ROM][4.4.2] Nexus 7 3G (2012) Omni-Rom Unofficial [with Multi-Window]
[Themed][App]Sony Ericsson LiveView AOSP/Vanilla[Yes, watch's screen itself!]
[Themed][App]Sony Ericsson LiveView Black`n`White[Yes, watch's screen itself!]
HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1 >Cyanogenmod 7.2<
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 >Cyanogenmod 10.2 nightly<
Sony Ericsson Original LiveView >OpenLiveView<
iPod Touch 4G 32gb >iOS 5.1.1/Jailbroken<
Asus Nexus7 3G >Android 4.4 Omni Rom<

chung0816
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The tethering function work but I got a problem that I can't use check in in Facebook and cannot use GPS navigation in Google map at 4.21