Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,322 Members 50,523 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT][COMPLETE GUIDE]How To Root HTC Droid DNA

Tip us?

HQRaja
Old
(Last edited by HQRaja; 6th December 2012 at 07:03 PM.)
Retired News Writer - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Tutorial [ROOT][COMPLETE GUIDE]How To Root HTC Droid DNA

Here is a complete guide for anyone interested in rooting the HTC Droid DNA. The insecure boot image, TWRP recovery, CWM recovery and SuperSU files used in this guide are not my own developments, and their developers have been credited in the end of this post.
I am only writing this as a newbie-friendly guide for everyone, and am providing my own SuperSU, su and busybox installer zip file that includes everything you need for full root.
  1. Unlock the bootloader of your device by visiting the HTC bootloader unlock page. Warning: This will wipe your data.
    UPDATE: Thanks to Verizon, the official bootloader unlocking method mentioned above no longer works. Please refer to this method for unlocking the bootloader.
  2. Download ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery for the device and rename it to recovery.img (or keep the existing name and change recovery.img in the command below to that name).
  3. Download the SuperSU and busybox package and put it on your SD card.
  4. Put your phone into bootloader mode and connect it to your PC via USB.
  5. On your computer, make sure you are in the folder where you downloaded the recovery file and use this command to flash the recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  6. Finally, reboot your device into recovery, flash the SuperSU and busybox package and reboot your device.

You should now have root access.

Credits:

jcase for unlocking the bootloader after Verizon decided to lock it.
dsb9938 for sharing the CWM port and correcting me regarding my previously posted and now removed second method involving his insecure boot image
Dees_Troy for TWRP recovery.
utkanos for CWM port.
Chainfire for developing SuperSU

I have tried to credit everyone involved but if I have missed out on anyone, please do let me know.
Regards,
Haroon Q. Raja.

Entrepreneur | Writer | Math Teacher | Web Developer | Technology Enthusiast
Retired News Writer at XDA Portal | Senior Editor at AddictiveTips | Founding Editor at HQTech
Visit my Website | Subscribe on Facebook | Follow on Twitter | Add me on Google+
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to HQRaja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hotmonkas
Old
Thanks Meter 8
thanks for the guide!

just one question though. when you say "Download the SuperSU and busybox package and put it on your SD card.", what do you mean exactly by SD card? doesn't the DNA not have a SD card? sorry if this is a dumb question. i've never rooted a phone before :/
The Following User Says Thank You to hotmonkas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

touretts69
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmonkas View Post
thanks for the guide!

just one question though. when you say "Download the SuperSU and busybox package and put it on your SD card.", what do you mean exactly by SD card? doesn't the DNA not have a SD card? sorry if this is a dumb question. i've never rooted a phone before :/
Internal storage would be another name for the SD card.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to touretts69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hotmonkas
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretts69 View Post
Internal storage would be another name for the SD card.
ah okay, thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotmonkas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nyjw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
which device do u use on the htc page?

trickster2369
Old
Thanks Meter 755

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjw View Post
which device do u use on the htc page?
"Other devices", or similar.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to trickster2369 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rajuabju
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Awesomeness.

The fact that this phone is rooted a week before its even out... simply awesome. I love XDA!

So excited for this phone.
DEVICE: Droid DNA
ROM/RADIO: ViperDNA
KERNEL:
The Following User Says Thank You to rajuabju For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dsb9938
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQRaja View Post
Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
  1. adb push su /system/bin/ adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/ adb push busybox /system/xbin/ adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin/su chmod 0644 /system/app/Superuser.apk chmod 04755 /system/xbin/busybox cd /system/xbin busybox --install /system/xbin/ exit exit
  1. Reboot your device.
This will not work. You cannot write to /system except in recovery.

This is why I did not publish my initial root method. Using a package and flashing in recovery is the only way to get files on /system without some really gnarly stuff.

D

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsb9938 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HQRaja
Old
Retired News Writer - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb9938 View Post
This will not work. You cannot write to /system except in recovery.

This is why I did not publish my initial root method. Using a package and flashing in recovery is the only way to get files on /system without some really gnarly stuff.

D

Thanks for your response. =)

Based on my understanding (and my experience with Nexus devices), once you boot using an insecure boot image, you have full root access in ADB since it is running adbd as root on the device. You can then successfully write to the /system partition and the changes persist after reboot. While I can confirm that the above will work on any Nexus device as well as any similar device with an unlocked bootloader and fastboot access, I am not 100% sure if that's how it works on HTC devices that have the S-ON flag. Are you referring to S-ON devices in particular here?
Regards,
Haroon Q. Raja.

Entrepreneur | Writer | Math Teacher | Web Developer | Technology Enthusiast
Retired News Writer at XDA Portal | Senior Editor at AddictiveTips | Founding Editor at HQTech
Visit my Website | Subscribe on Facebook | Follow on Twitter | Add me on Google+

dsb9938
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQRaja View Post
Thanks for your response. =)

Based on my understanding (and my experience with Nexus devices), once you boot using an insecure boot image, you have full root access in ADB since it is running adbd as root on the device. You can then successfully write to the /system partition and the changes persist after reboot. While I can confirm that the above will work on any Nexus device as well as any similar device with an unlocked bootloader and fastboot access, I am not 100% sure if that's how it works on HTC devices that have the S-ON flag. Are you referring to S-ON devices in particular here?
Normally it does work that way. And I was very disappointed that it did not on this phone, as I made the kernel just for that reason.

I think there was an error in the coding where it tells unlock which partitions to remove write protection from. That, or they just wanna make our lives hard for some reason.

Either way, you cannot write to /system while the phone is booted normally without S-Off. Even as root.

D

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsb9938 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]