I am only writing this as a newbie-friendly guide for everyone, and am providing my own SuperSU, su and busybox installer zip file that includes everything you need for full root.
- Unlock the bootloader of your device by visiting the HTC bootloader unlock page. Warning: This will wipe your data.
UPDATE: Thanks to Verizon, the official bootloader unlocking method mentioned above no longer works. Please refer to this method for unlocking the bootloader.
- Download ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery for the device and rename it to recovery.img (or keep the existing name and change recovery.img in the command below to that name).
- Download the SuperSU and busybox package and put it on your SD card.
- Put your phone into bootloader mode and connect it to your PC via USB.
- On your computer, make sure you are in the folder where you downloaded the recovery file and use this command to flash the recovery:Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Finally, reboot your device into recovery, flash the SuperSU and busybox package and reboot your device.
You should now have root access.
jcase for unlocking the bootloader after Verizon decided to lock it.
dsb9938 for sharing the CWM port and correcting me regarding my previously posted and now removed second method involving his insecure boot image
Dees_Troy for TWRP recovery.
utkanos for CWM port.
Chainfire for developing SuperSU
I have tried to credit everyone involved but if I have missed out on anyone, please do let me know.