Did This Guide Help You?

• Total voters
Search This thread

cybervibin

Mar 18, 2012
Pallet town
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Easiest guide to flash a custom ROM and custom kernel

Lets accept it,we all have been here,confused what should do after i root/boot unlock
we think i know enough so lets get this going but then, we get stuck in the splash/welcome screen and we think **** this was such a bad idea
SO i created this thread for anyone who ever is confused,lost,seeking help.
IF YOU FIND THIS THREAD HELPFUL, BE SURE TO RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS AND PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON :d

Thread Contents

1.Common terms/Android Slangs
2.Basic Requirements
3.Download links for Recovery Images for PRIMO U/ PRIMO C]
4.How To flash recovery
5.FAST BOOT FILES(download links) : HTC ONE V DRIVER (DOWLOAD LINKS)
6.How To Back Up Your Current Rom
7.Installing Your ROM
8.Choose Your Kernel(download links)
9.Flashing The Kernel[windows]
*Flashing The Kernel[MAC]
10.people who have already flashed a ROM and are confused how to upgrade it
11.Upgrading KERNEL
12.Stuck in Bootloops, Cant Pass the HTC welcome Screen
13.Some tips from me

Hope u have successfully rooted and boot unlocked

Common Terms/Android Slangs

a small guide on some of the android terms my Diablo67

Bootloader:This small program's only job is to load other data and programs which are then executed from RAM.Often, multiple-stage boot loaders are used, during which several programs of increasing complexity load one after the other in a process of chain loading.

Fastboot:A diagnostic protocol used primarily to modify the flash filesystem in Android smartphones from another computer over a USB connection. It is part of the Android Debug Bridge library.
Utilizing the Fastboot protocol requires that the device be started in a boot loader or Second Program Loader mode in which only the most basic hardware initialization is performed. After enabling the protocol on the device itself it will accept any command sent to it over USB via a command line. Some of most commonly used fastboot commands include:

•flash - Overwrites a partition in flash with a binary image stored on the host computer.
•erase - Erases a partition in flash.
•reboot - Reboots the device into the either the main operating system or the system recovery partition.
•devices - Displays a list of all devices (with Serial #) connected to the host computer.

Flashing:The ROM memory used in smartphones and tablets etc. is often same as flash memory found in SD cards and USB flash drives, simply optimized for better speed and performance while running the operating system.

Kernel:A kernel is a layer of code that allows the OS and applications to interface with your phone's hardware. The degree in which you can access your phone's hardware features depends on the quality of code in the kernel. The homebrew (rooting) community for HTC has made several kernel code improvements that give us additional features from our hardware that the stock kernel does not. When you flash a custom ROM, you automatically get a kernel. But you can also flash a standalone kernel ROM on top of the existing one, effectively overwriting it. These days, the difference in custom kernels is less about new features and more about alternate configurations. Choosing a custom kernel is basically choosing one that works best with your ROM.

Nandroid:To backup the current running rom.

Recovery Mode:A small separate operating mode you can boot your device into, used for device administration. Two popular custom recovery modes are Amon Ra and Clockwork.

Basic Requirements

1.A Boot-unlocked and Rooted HTC One V
2.Charge it till above 75% battery
2.A PC(this guide is for now only for windows)
3.usb cable
4.HTC driver download here or HTC SYNC
5.FastBoot Files[ click here>>> download them and put in a folder in c drive ]
> example c:\fastboot or c:\android
6.A recovery image(for image scroll down)
7.A Rom(thats ur choice)
8.boot image(scroll down)
9.put the rom(.zip file) in sd card

Here Are The Recovery Images

Recovery Images[PRIMO U/GSM]

1. CWM 6 by Lloir
2. TWRP 2.6.0 <<Ill Recommend [very user friendly]
3. CWM v5 Touch Recovery

Recovery Images[PRIMO C/CDMA

1. [VM/PRIMOC][RECOVERY] CWM Recovery
2. [VM/PRIMOC][RECOVERY] TWRP2 Recovery
3. [RECOVERY] [PRIMOC/CDMA] CWM 6.0.1.5

How To flash recovery

HOPE U HAVE THE FAST BOOT FILES
[IF NOT]

click here download them and put in a folder in c drive
example c:\fastboot)

>>Now enter Fast boot(power button +volume DOWN(for 15 + sec))<<<
u might have arrived at Hboot boot mode>>> now move up down by pressing the volume buttons and select fastbootwith the power button

Flash it via cmd(command prompt)
Enter these commands

Code:
[B][COLOR="Red"]fastboot flash recovery recovery.img 
[/COLOR][/B]

How To Back Up Your Current Rom

(must for first time flashers)(nand=backup of current ROM)

1. Once the CWM/TWRP recovery installed:
  • Now enter Fast boot(power button +volume DOWN(for 15 + sec))
  • now move up down by pressing the volume buttons and select fastbootwith the power button

2. Once you are in the RECOVERY menu:
  • click backup and restore
  • click backup
  • the backup process is running. It will be a max 20 minutes to complete.
(optional step just to be sure)

3. once complete, check whether the backup is successful
  • click restore
  • you will see your backup files, for example 2012-11-27 11-7
  • it should complete with in a span of time

4.Now if that is over go back to the previous menu
  • use the back button
  • click reboot system now to boot your device

Installing Your ROM

5.just do a factory reset and wipe cache, then click on install from sd card

6.flash it(the ROM in ur sd card shud be in a .zip format)

7.NOW.DON'T REBOOT UR PHONE GO TO FAST BOOT MODE (VOLUME DOWN+ POWER BUTTON)(or there will be a option to reboot into bootloader)

Choose Your Kernel

9.download whichever kernel u want

[CDMA/PRIMO C]

[GSM/PRIMO U]

Flashing The Kernel[windows]

8.HOPE U HAVE THE FAST BOOT FILES (if not click here download them and put in a folder in c drive)
  • rename it boot.img and put it in the folder as the fastboot files
  • GO TO FAST BOOT MODE (VOLUME DOWN+ POWER BUTTON)(or there will be a option to reboot in recovery)

10.flash it via CMD
Enter these commands
Code:
11.[B][COLOR="Red"]Fastboot flash boot boot.img [/COLOR][/B]
12.[B][COLOR="Red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR][/B]

Flashing The Kernel[MAC] by kalaker

1. Go developer.android.com and download the SDK & move it to your home directory ("~" or /Users/<username>)
  2. Go to <sdk-location>/tools and launch "Android"
  3. Download the platform tools
  4. Open terminal
  5. Open Finder to <sdk-location>/platform-tools
  6. In terminal, type "sudo cp"; drag adb from the Finder window into the Terminal window; type "/usr/bin/"; hit enter
  7. Enter your password
  8. Repeat the above three steps, but drag "fastboot" instead of "adb"
  9. Close terminal
  10. Open terminal (it sounds weird, but just do it)
Now, and forever, do this to install a kernel:
  1. Download kernel
  2. Connect phone to computer
  3. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled (Settings>Development>USB Debugging)
  4. In terminal, type "adb reboot bootloader"
  5. In terminal, type "fastboot flash boot"; drag in the kernel from finder; hit enter

Examples:
Code:
sudo cp /Users/Username/android-sdk-mac/platform-tools/adb /usr/bin/
adb reboot recovery
fastboot flash boot /Users/Username/Downloads/boot.img

13.enjoy
First boot takes some time have patience......be sure to ask questions or doubts

Ok For people who have already flashed a ROM and are confused how to upgrade it

Upgrading ROM

1.download your needed ROM
2.put in SD card
3.boot into recovery
4.no need to wipe everything,wipe caches(and if the dev says to full wipe do it)
5. (Unless u come from a different ROM eg.From Amazing Sense To CM10, in this case a factory reset i needed
6.flash the ROM
7.reboot
8.flash GAPPS
9. enjoy

Upgrading KERNEL

1.boot in bootloader
2.do the required steps(as mentioned above)
3.wipe caches
5.enjoy

Stuck in Bootloops, Cant Pass the HTC welcome Screen

ok, calm down, everyone has this problem while flashing, i get it so many times, they can cause by the following reasons

bad flash
wrong rom
you forgot to flash the kernel
wrong kernel
messed up the order in flashing

ok,

1.Bad flash-this occurs if the .zip file is corrupted
solution:= re flash the ROM, if still no, download the file again and try

2.wrong ROM- u may have downloaded a ROM that is not for ur device or a ROM which is of not ur description
for example u might me a PRIMO C device/CDMA and u downloaded a PRIMO U/GSM ROM

3.Wrong Kernel-Kernel is the link between ur software and hardware, if u flash the wrong one like the case mentioned above , download the correct one and re flash

4.[ FLASHING YOUR KERNEL SHOULD BE THE LAST STEP][UNLESS U HAVE A S-OFF DEVICE]

Ok Some Tips Which May Help You

1.Battery Draining fast?
-----get an app called BetterBatteryStats,run it over night.then next morning open it and check whats waking your device

2.Can i use scripts?
-----Your wish, the rom works perfect,running a script can ruin it in some cases(chill,even i run some)

3.Good/best/recommended ROMS?
-----all roms are good in their own way, but i can give u a list of recently updated roms
-----1.sphongle(4.2.2) 2.Slimbean 3.Cm10

will add more :) cheers

Hope this helps u

Last edited:

paarthdesai

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 2, 2012
mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S21+
more detailed work should be there.. like you said install cwm or twrp.... give a link to where they are embedded in the words will be good...
and the above goes for the flashing rom part also...embed the link to the dev section
make it easy and tidy instead of all those ugly looking clutters you did ;)

Sent from my One V

thetuxracer

Jan 2, 2010
Nashik | Pune
m sorry abt that! guess missed it! wrote the thread throygh my phone! :p
any other problems i corrected the one u said!

Yeah, you could try creatign sub sections, like thinigs to have before swap, then steps after that. Eg in step 1 you say

and

1.Flash CWM 6 by lloir
or TWRP 2.3.1.0 ill recommend TWRP
>>PRIMO C /CDMA click here<<

To flash recovery HOPE U HAVE THE FAST BOOT FILES(IF NOT click here download them and put in a folder in c drive
example c:\fastboot

First you mention the ROM, then out of the blue you mention recovery. ROM should be introduced after a nand backup. You should also explain in short what a nand backup is. A sentence with an analogy is sufficient. I am a software developer and I would like to share a rule that I follow: If you need to add a comment in your code, that means the code is not readable. In the same way, when you mention something in bracket, it itself means that the sentence is no clear, and need rephrasing and rewording.

Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to insult or berate or anything, but I got it read by a friend who wants to flash his One V, and he got back to me with more questions than the guide answered. There a some step holes in the guide, and you have to write is as if you are a noob :)

Lastly, thanks a lot, this particular guide and your answers have been really helpful to me and the community.

Cheers!

Reactions: sohamssd

cybervibin

Mar 18, 2012
Pallet town
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Nice, I liked this!:)

Sent from my One V using xda app-developers app

Yeah, you could try creatign sub sections, like thinigs to have before swap, then steps after that. Eg in step 1 you say

First you mention the ROM, then out of the blue you mention recovery. ROM should be introduced after a nand backup. You should also explain in short what a nand backup is. A sentence with an analogy is sufficient. I am a software developer and I would like to share a rule that I follow: If you need to add a comment in your code, that means the code is not readable. In the same way, when you mention something in bracket, it itself means that the sentence is no clear, and need rephrasing and rewording.

Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to insult or berate or anything, but I got it read by a friend who wants to flash his One V, and he got back to me with more questions than the guide answered. There a some step holes in the guide, and you have to write is as if you are a noob :)

Lastly, thanks a lot, this particular guide and your answers have been really helpful to me and the community.

Cheers!

how about now, noob friendly enough?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Easiest guide to flash a custom ROM and custom kernel

Lets accept it,we all have been here,confused what should do after i root/boot unlock
    we think i know enough so lets get this going but then, we get stuck in the splash/welcome screen and we think **** this was such a bad idea
    SO i created this thread for anyone who ever is confused,lost,seeking help.
    IF YOU FIND THIS THREAD HELPFUL, BE SURE TO RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS AND PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON :d

Thread Contents

1.Common terms/Android Slangs
    2.Basic Requirements
    3.Download links for Recovery Images for PRIMO U/ PRIMO C]
    4.How To flash recovery
    5.FAST BOOT FILES(download links) : HTC ONE V DRIVER (DOWLOAD LINKS)
    6.How To Back Up Your Current Rom
    7.Installing Your ROM
    8.Choose Your Kernel(download links)
    9.Flashing The Kernel[windows]
    *Flashing The Kernel[MAC]
    10.people who have already flashed a ROM and are confused how to upgrade it
    11.Upgrading KERNEL
    12.Stuck in Bootloops, Cant Pass the HTC welcome Screen
    13.Some tips from me

Hope u have successfully rooted and boot unlocked

Common Terms/Android Slangs

a small guide on some of the android terms my Diablo67

Bootloader:This small program's only job is to load other data and programs which are then executed from RAM.Often, multiple-stage boot loaders are used, during which several programs of increasing complexity load one after the other in a process of chain loading.

Fastboot:A diagnostic protocol used primarily to modify the flash filesystem in Android smartphones from another computer over a USB connection. It is part of the Android Debug Bridge library.
    Utilizing the Fastboot protocol requires that the device be started in a boot loader or Second Program Loader mode in which only the most basic hardware initialization is performed. After enabling the protocol on the device itself it will accept any command sent to it over USB via a command line. Some of most commonly used fastboot commands include:

•flash - Overwrites a partition in flash with a binary image stored on the host computer.
    •erase - Erases a partition in flash.
    •reboot - Reboots the device into the either the main operating system or the system recovery partition.
    •devices - Displays a list of all devices (with Serial #) connected to the host computer.

Flashing:The ROM memory used in smartphones and tablets etc. is often same as flash memory found in SD cards and USB flash drives, simply optimized for better speed and performance while running the operating system.

Kernel:A kernel is a layer of code that allows the OS and applications to interface with your phone's hardware. The degree in which you can access your phone's hardware features depends on the quality of code in the kernel. The homebrew (rooting) community for HTC has made several kernel code improvements that give us additional features from our hardware that the stock kernel does not. When you flash a custom ROM, you automatically get a kernel. But you can also flash a standalone kernel ROM on top of the existing one, effectively overwriting it. These days, the difference in custom kernels is less about new features and more about alternate configurations. Choosing a custom kernel is basically choosing one that works best with your ROM.

Nandroid:To backup the current running rom.

Recovery Mode:A small separate operating mode you can boot your device into, used for device administration. Two popular custom recovery modes are Amon Ra and Clockwork.

Basic Requirements

1.A Boot-unlocked and Rooted HTC One V
    2.Charge it till above 75% battery
    2.A PC(this guide is for now only for windows)
    3.usb cable
    4.HTC driver download here or HTC SYNC
    5.FastBoot Files[ click here>>> download them and put in a folder in c drive ]
    > example c:\fastboot or c:\android
    6.A recovery image(for image scroll down)
    7.A Rom(thats ur choice)
    8.boot image(scroll down)
    9.put the rom(.zip file) in sd card

Here Are The Recovery Images

Recovery Images[PRIMO U/GSM]

1. CWM 6 by Lloir
    2. TWRP 2.6.0 <<Ill Recommend [very user friendly]
    3. CWM v5 Touch Recovery

Recovery Images[PRIMO C/CDMA

1. [VM/PRIMOC][RECOVERY] CWM Recovery
    2. [VM/PRIMOC][RECOVERY] TWRP2 Recovery
    3. [RECOVERY] [PRIMOC/CDMA] CWM 6.0.1.5

How To flash recovery

HOPE U HAVE THE FAST BOOT FILES
    [IF NOT]

click here download them and put in a folder in c drive
    example c:\fastboot)

u might have arrived at Hboot boot mode>>> now move up down by pressing the volume buttons and select fastbootwith the power button

Flash it via cmd(command prompt)
    Enter these commands

Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"]fastboot flash recovery recovery.img 
    [/COLOR][/B]

How To Back Up Your Current Rom

(must for first time flashers)(nand=backup of current ROM)

1. Once the CWM/TWRP recovery installed:
    • Now enter Fast boot(power button +volume DOWN(for 15 + sec))
    • now move up down by pressing the volume buttons and select fastbootwith the power button

2. Once you are in the RECOVERY menu:
    • click backup
    • the backup process is running. It will be a max 20 minutes to complete.
    (optional step just to be sure)

3. once complete, check whether the backup is successful
    • click restore
    • you will see your backup files, for example 2012-11-27 11-7
    • it should complete with in a span of time

4.Now if that is over go back to the previous menu
    • use the back button
    • click reboot system now to boot your device

Installing Your ROM

5.just do a factory reset and wipe cache, then click on install from sd card

6.flash it(the ROM in ur sd card shud be in a .zip format)

7.NOW.DON'T REBOOT UR PHONE GO TO FAST BOOT MODE (VOLUME DOWN+ POWER BUTTON)(or there will be a option to reboot into bootloader)

Choose Your Kernel

9.download whichever kernel u want

[CDMA/PRIMO C]

[GSM/PRIMO U]

Flashing The Kernel[windows]

8.HOPE U HAVE THE FAST BOOT FILES (if not click here download them and put in a folder in c drive)
    • rename it boot.img and put it in the folder as the fastboot files
    • GO TO FAST BOOT MODE (VOLUME DOWN+ POWER BUTTON)(or there will be a option to reboot in recovery)

10.flash it via CMD
    Enter these commands
    Code:
    11.[B][COLOR="Red"]Fastboot flash boot boot.img [/COLOR][/B]
    12.[B][COLOR="Red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR][/B]

Flashing The Kernel[MAC] by kalaker

1. Go developer.android.com and download the SDK & move it to your home directory ("~" or /Users/<username>)
    2. Go to <sdk-location>/tools and launch "Android"
    3. Download the platform tools
    4. Open terminal
    5. Open Finder to <sdk-location>/platform-tools
    6. In terminal, type "sudo cp"; drag adb from the Finder window into the Terminal window; type "/usr/bin/"; hit enter
    7. Enter your password
    8. Repeat the above three steps, but drag "fastboot" instead of "adb"
    9. Close terminal
    10. Open terminal (it sounds weird, but just do it)
    Now, and forever, do this to install a kernel:
    1. Download kernel
    2. Connect phone to computer
    3. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled (Settings>Development>USB Debugging)
    4. In terminal, type "adb reboot bootloader"
    5. In terminal, type "fastboot flash boot"; drag in the kernel from finder; hit enter

Examples:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    fastboot flash boot /Users/Username/Downloads/boot.img

13.enjoy
    First boot takes some time have patience......be sure to ask questions or doubts

Ok For people who have already flashed a ROM and are confused how to upgrade it

Upgrading ROM

1.download your needed ROM
    2.put in SD card
    3.boot into recovery
    4.no need to wipe everything,wipe caches(and if the dev says to full wipe do it)
    5. (Unless u come from a different ROM eg.From Amazing Sense To CM10, in this case a factory reset i needed
    6.flash the ROM
    7.reboot
    8.flash GAPPS
    9. enjoy

Upgrading KERNEL

1.boot in bootloader
    2.do the required steps(as mentioned above)
    3.wipe caches
    5.enjoy

Stuck in Bootloops, Cant Pass the HTC welcome Screen

ok, calm down, everyone has this problem while flashing, i get it so many times, they can cause by the following reasons

bad flash
    wrong rom
    you forgot to flash the kernel
    wrong kernel
    messed up the order in flashing

ok,

1.Bad flash-this occurs if the .zip file is corrupted
    solution:= re flash the ROM, if still no, download the file again and try

2.wrong ROM- u may have downloaded a ROM that is not for ur device or a ROM which is of not ur description
    for example u might me a PRIMO C device/CDMA and u downloaded a PRIMO U/GSM ROM

3.Wrong Kernel-Kernel is the link between ur software and hardware, if u flash the wrong one like the case mentioned above , download the correct one and re flash

4.[ FLASHING YOUR KERNEL SHOULD BE THE LAST STEP][UNLESS U HAVE A S-OFF DEVICE]

Ok Some Tips Which May Help You

1.Battery Draining fast?
    -----get an app called BetterBatteryStats,run it over night.then next morning open it and check whats waking your device

2.Can i use scripts?
    -----Your wish, the rom works perfect,running a script can ruin it in some cases(chill,even i run some)

3.Good/best/recommended ROMS?
    -----all roms are good in their own way, but i can give u a list of recently updated roms
    -----1.sphongle(4.2.2) 2.Slimbean 3.Cm10

will add more :) cheers

Hope this helps u
    more detailed work should be there.. like you said install cwm or twrp.... give a link to where they are embedded in the words will be good...
    and the above goes for the flashing rom part also...embed the link to the dev section
    make it easy and tidy instead of all those ugly looking clutters you did ;)

Sent from my One V
    i think hes referring to an app which does not use the mobile data......other than spirit fm, there are no good fm radio apps
    another get thanks quick scheme thread? o_O

Sent from my One V
    No but that work word is pissing me off ..... For using it in a inappropriate place

Don't read it

Sent from my One V