Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 51,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT]Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Tip us?

Ravynmagi
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Android: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3 LTE, Nook HD+
iOS: iPhone 5S, iPad Mini with Retina LTE
Windows: Lumia 521, Venue 8 Pro

somdave2005
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to somdave2005 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ravynmagi
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
If I run "adb devices" from the Android SDK, it shows the Kindle Fire.
However if I run "adb devices" from the batch file link above, it never finds it.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Well I had to install the Android SDK. Then copy the Platform-Tools folder into this script's "\stuff" folder.

Now ADB finds my Kindle Fire HD.

I tried option 1, it seemed to complete fine, but no Super User in apps. So I tried option 2, again no Super User. Which method are people using with success?

jmoak
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
If I run "adb devices" from the Android SDK, it shows the Kindle Fire.
However if I run "adb devices" from the batch file link above, it never finds it.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Well I had to install the Android SDK. Then copy the Platform-Tools folder into this script's "\stuff" folder.

Now ADB finds my Kindle Fire HD.

I tried option 1, it seemed to complete fine, but no Super User in apps. So I tried option 2, again no Super User. Which method are people using with success?
Option 2, I followed along with the video. Entering every command even if they didn't appear to work.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
It worked! Thanks OP!

Anything we can do about apps that don't work? ie google maps, tasks apps, google currents, etc?

Are you guys using a different launcher now, like ADW launcher or NovaLauncher?
I tried both Go Launcher HD and Apex Launcher. I like Apex better so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmoak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ravynmagi
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak View Post
Option 2, I followed along with the video. Entering every command even if they didn't appear to work.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

I tried both Go Launcher HD and Apex Launcher. I like Apex better so far.
Are you getting permission denied errors with the first two commands?

jmoak
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Are you getting permission denied errors with the first two commands?
I believe so but I do not fully remember. I do know I was getting errors but just kept pushing on. It even mentions you will get errors in the video. I do remember getting errors on the last two commands thinking something was wrong but he also gets the same error in the video.

Start watching the video at about the 7 minute mark. That is when he roots a tablet.

Ravynmagi
Old
(Last edited by Ravynmagi; 18th November 2012 at 09:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak View Post
I believe so but I do not fully remember. I do know I was getting errors but just kept pushing on. It even mentions you will get errors in the video. I do remember getting errors on the last two commands thinking something was wrong but he also gets the same error in the video.

Start watching the video at about the 7 minute mark. That is when he roots a tablet.
I decided to just a factory restore and start over.

Unfortunately it's still not working. No Super User, no root access. No idea why this isn't working for me.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Have no clue what I was doing wrong or what went wrong the half a dozen previous tries. But now Super SU is installed and root access is confirmed.

Got Google apps installed, but can't sign in with YouTube though. It crashes when trying to sign in.

Edit: Got the YouTube issue resolved as well. Was missing the GoogleLoginService.apk. It's all finally coming together nicely.

Technogen
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Is this surviving reboot? Also has anyone attempted to do a factory reset to see if it clears it? I've had this thing 3 days I really want Google Play on it so I can access my apps but don't really want to nuke the warranty just yet. :/

onemeila
Old
Thanks Meter 237

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
Is this surviving reboot? Also has anyone attempted to do a factory reset to see if it clears it? I've had this thing 3 days I really want Google Play on it so I can access my apps but don't really want to nuke the warranty just yet. :/
Yes it does work, but no a factory reset will not clear it. If you what to get rid of root you have to move superuser.apk from /system/app folder,to /data/app folder, install it in that location. Then delete the su binary from /system/xbin/. After all that the factory reset will restore to original.

Technogen
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Somethings I ran into that may help other people.

If you do all the steps and still can't see the kindle in ADB run a driver update on the kindle, ADB showed up for me after that.

After the kindle rebooted it was not seeing the device as being back up after a 2 minute wait. I unpluged and reconnected the USB cable and this correct it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Technogen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]