My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

OP dankerton

23rd February 2013, 05:53 AM   |  #351  
Thanks Meter: 76

676 posts
Re: My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnelson

Thank you. Mine freezes as soon as I touch the box icon in Astro. Maybe time to RMA and see what happens?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

So I reflashed 4.2.2 and let it restore apps. Astro didn't restore. I think I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times to try to fix it. So I downloaded it and it worked like a champ. Crazy device...can't reflash every time I hit an app it doesn't like.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
1st March 2013, 11:37 PM   |  #352  
Thanks Meter: 52

165 posts
Glad I finally found this thread! Started in the normal-human-forums but SO happy to advance to the tech-guru-forums!

I am no dev, so no true program knowledge here - but I am an IT guy, so I am good at "troubleshooting". Here is what I did:
-I am on 4.2.2
-Using a 3 day test cycle, my goal was to see the unit on w/ no crash for 72 hours
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug
-Dont even sign in to Google, just let the tablet sit there
-Occasionally turn it on to check uptime

The uptime got to 69 hours before it crashed & rebooted! No Chrome use! No extra apps installed! Nothin! Anyways, I do see now that even if you dont connect a Google Account, both Play and Maps still run in the background and "perform activites". So who knows - maybe if I would have added 'disable all disableable services' I would have been able to get 72. (So close!)

I chimed in on that Google thread too.
Last edited by bigmatty; 1st March 2013 at 11:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigmatty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 12:29 AM   |  #353  
Thanks Meter: 5

39 posts
Mine has been running great since I reflashed. I got over 7 days of uptime before I rebooted to update the SuperSU binary. Bootlog Uptime shows that as a crash but it wasn't. Zero real crashes so far.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
2nd March 2013, 12:31 AM   |  #354  
Miami
Thanks Meter: 198

2,428 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatty

Glad I finally found this thread! Started in the normal-human-forums but SO happy to advance to the tech-guru-forums!

I am no dev, so no true program knowledge here - but I am an IT guy, so I am good at "troubleshooting". Here is what I did:
-I am on 4.2.2
-Using a 3 day test cycle, my goal was to see the unit on w/ no crash for 72 hours
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug

The uptime got to 69 hours before it crashed & rebooted! No Chrome use! No extra apps installed! Nothin! Anyways, I do see now that even if you dont connect a Google Account, both Play and Maps still run in the background and "perform activites". So who knows - maybe if I would have added 'disable all disableable services' I would have been able to get 72. (So close!)

wow thats crazy. crashing with NOTHING
glad u took time out to do this though
would take me forever if i was trying to find a faulty app one by one
2nd March 2013, 12:38 AM   |  #355  
Thanks Meter: 79

598 posts
More
Quote:

-I am on 4.2.2
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug

After having been on 4.2.2 for a while now, it does seem like the crashes are much less frequent, which is great. I've also noticed that they don't seem to happen for a couple of days right after a cold boot. It would not surprise me if a memory leak was responsible which causes problem after 3 or so days of uptime.
2nd March 2013, 02:37 AM   |  #356  

165 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottws

Mine has been running great since I reflashed. I got over 7 days of uptime before I rebooted to update the SuperSU binary. Bootlog Uptime shows that as a crash but it wasn't. Zero real crashes so far.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

All the threads I've looked at re: Nexus 10 errors are bleeding together in my mind, so forgive me that I cant cite the exact links where I saw this, but I've seen people say even after a Recovery generated factory wipe that actifacts are still left in the file system. Is that true? When I have been "factory resetting" I have not been transferring a .img file... I know that photos and stuff I take get wiped out via the method I've been doing.

Can anyone advise?
2nd March 2013, 02:46 AM   |  #357  
Thanks Meter: 5

39 posts
Quote:

All the threads I've looked at re: Nexus 10 errors are bleeding together in my mind, so forgive me that I cant cite the exact links where I saw this, but I've seen people say even after a Recovery generated factory wipe that actifacts are still left in the file system. Is that true? When I have been "factory resetting" I have not been transferring a .img file... I know that photos and stuff I take get wiped out via the method I've been doing.

Can anyone advise?

I did a complete wipe and re flash of the 4.2.2 image using the Android SDK. Not just a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to scottws For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 03:28 AM   |  #358  

165 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottws

I did a complete wipe and re flash of the 4.2.2 image using the Android SDK. Not just a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I will try that. Could you help me out and verify this is the best advised way?:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=210

I currently am rooted w/ SuperSU and have TWRP installed. I belive 'flash-all' completly overwrites these?

I will try this method (after a recharge here) and then start my "install and do nothing" test again.

~bigmatty
Last edited by bigmatty; 2nd March 2013 at 04:17 AM.
2nd March 2013, 06:43 AM   |  #359  
California
Thanks Meter: 503

3,321 posts
Quote:

Ok, I will try that. Could you help me out and verify this is the best advised way?:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=210

I currently am rooted w/ SuperSU and have TWRP installed. I belive 'flash-all' completly overwrites these?

I will try this method (after a recharge here) and then start my "install and do nothing" test again.

~bigmatty

Yep that should work. The flash-all commands are listed below. If you don't want to lose user data then skip the erase userdata step and remove the "-w" from the last command.

Code:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata 
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-manta-mantalj12.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot -w update image-mantaray-jdq39.zip
I usually just do:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot update factoryimage.zip (or "fastboot -w update factoryimage.zip" if you want to erase userdata too)

... but can't hurt to do the other erase commands.
Last edited by irishrally; 2nd March 2013 at 06:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to irishrally For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 07:48 AM   |  #360  

165 posts
Thank you irishrally!

---------------------------
update - success! a small change in my troubleshooting plan, this time i did sign in to my google account. the other aspects will remain the same - i am now going to not do anything other than power on the screen to check the Status -> Uptime to monitor for reboots. goal = 72 hours. so.... *ahem* my guess i'll be back in less than 3 days time... :|
Last edited by bigmatty; 2nd March 2013 at 08:54 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread