Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 48,756 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

Tip us?

rxnelson
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Default Re: My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnelson View Post
Thank you. Mine freezes as soon as I touch the box icon in Astro. Maybe time to RMA and see what happens?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
So I reflashed 4.2.2 and let it restore apps. Astro didn't restore. I think I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times to try to fix it. So I downloaded it and it worked like a champ. Crazy device...can't reflash every time I hit an app it doesn't like.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bigmatty
Old
(Last edited by bigmatty; 1st March 2013 at 10:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 52
Glad I finally found this thread! Started in the normal-human-forums but SO happy to advance to the tech-guru-forums!

I am no dev, so no true program knowledge here - but I am an IT guy, so I am good at "troubleshooting". Here is what I did:
-I am on 4.2.2
-Using a 3 day test cycle, my goal was to see the unit on w/ no crash for 72 hours
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug
-Dont even sign in to Google, just let the tablet sit there
-Occasionally turn it on to check uptime

The uptime got to 69 hours before it crashed & rebooted! No Chrome use! No extra apps installed! Nothin! Anyways, I do see now that even if you dont connect a Google Account, both Play and Maps still run in the background and "perform activites". So who knows - maybe if I would have added 'disable all disableable services' I would have been able to get 72. (So close!)

I chimed in on that Google thread too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigmatty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scottws
Old
Thanks Meter 5

Mine has been running great since I reflashed. I got over 7 days of uptime before I rebooted to update the SuperSU binary. Bootlog Uptime shows that as a crash but it wasn't. Zero real crashes so far.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

SayWhat10
Old
Thanks Meter 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatty View Post
Glad I finally found this thread! Started in the normal-human-forums but SO happy to advance to the tech-guru-forums!

I am no dev, so no true program knowledge here - but I am an IT guy, so I am good at "troubleshooting". Here is what I did:
-I am on 4.2.2
-Using a 3 day test cycle, my goal was to see the unit on w/ no crash for 72 hours
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug

The uptime got to 69 hours before it crashed & rebooted! No Chrome use! No extra apps installed! Nothin! Anyways, I do see now that even if you dont connect a Google Account, both Play and Maps still run in the background and "perform activites". So who knows - maybe if I would have added 'disable all disableable services' I would have been able to get 72. (So close!)

wow thats crazy. crashing with NOTHING
glad u took time out to do this though
would take me forever if i was trying to find a faulty app one by one

pfmiller
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:

-I am on 4.2.2
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug

After having been on 4.2.2 for a while now, it does seem like the crashes are much less frequent, which is great. I've also noticed that they don't seem to happen for a couple of days right after a cold boot. It would not surprise me if a memory leak was responsible which causes problem after 3 or so days of uptime.

bigmatty
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottws View Post
Mine has been running great since I reflashed. I got over 7 days of uptime before I rebooted to update the SuperSU binary. Bootlog Uptime shows that as a crash but it wasn't. Zero real crashes so far.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
All the threads I've looked at re: Nexus 10 errors are bleeding together in my mind, so forgive me that I cant cite the exact links where I saw this, but I've seen people say even after a Recovery generated factory wipe that actifacts are still left in the file system. Is that true? When I have been "factory resetting" I have not been transferring a .img file... I know that photos and stuff I take get wiped out via the method I've been doing.

Can anyone advise?

scottws
Old
Thanks Meter 5

Quote:
All the threads I've looked at re: Nexus 10 errors are bleeding together in my mind, so forgive me that I cant cite the exact links where I saw this, but I've seen people say even after a Recovery generated factory wipe that actifacts are still left in the file system. Is that true? When I have been "factory resetting" I have not been transferring a .img file... I know that photos and stuff I take get wiped out via the method I've been doing.

Can anyone advise?
I did a complete wipe and re flash of the 4.2.2 image using the Android SDK. Not just a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to scottws For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bigmatty
Old
(Last edited by bigmatty; 2nd March 2013 at 03:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottws View Post
I did a complete wipe and re flash of the 4.2.2 image using the Android SDK. Not just a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Ok, I will try that. Could you help me out and verify this is the best advised way?:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=210

I currently am rooted w/ SuperSU and have TWRP installed. I belive 'flash-all' completly overwrites these?

I will try this method (after a recharge here) and then start my "install and do nothing" test again.

~bigmatty

irishrally
Old
(Last edited by irishrally; 2nd March 2013 at 05:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 501
Quote:
Ok, I will try that. Could you help me out and verify this is the best advised way?:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=210

I currently am rooted w/ SuperSU and have TWRP installed. I belive 'flash-all' completly overwrites these?

I will try this method (after a recharge here) and then start my "install and do nothing" test again.

~bigmatty
Yep that should work. The flash-all commands are listed below. If you don't want to lose user data then skip the erase userdata step and remove the "-w" from the last command.

Code:
Select Code
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata 
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-manta-mantalj12.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot -w update image-mantaray-jdq39.zip
I usually just do:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot update factoryimage.zip (or "fastboot -w update factoryimage.zip" if you want to erase userdata too)

... but can't hurt to do the other erase commands.
The Following User Says Thank You to irishrally For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bigmatty
Old
(Last edited by bigmatty; 2nd March 2013 at 07:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 52
Thank you irishrally!

---------------------------
update - success! a small change in my troubleshooting plan, this time i did sign in to my google account. the other aspects will remain the same - i am now going to not do anything other than power on the screen to check the Status -> Uptime to monitor for reboots. goal = 72 hours. so.... *ahem* my guess i'll be back in less than 3 days time... :|