Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,713 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Native SMS Nexus 7 3G texting send/receive/manage with stock JB mms.apk

Tip us?

UberSlackr
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kRt_uK View Post
Tested and fully working in my N7 3G.

Download file
Unzip
Load "mms.apk" into system/app and set permissions
Reboot

Thanks to theos0o.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1591989
Is this going to require Root?
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:
I called Google Device Support the other day, and asked about the possibility of Modem/Radio within the Nexus 7 3G.. and The CSR answer was "No you can not plug a Phone Cord or Ethernet cable into the device, and if you want to listen to the radio you must download a 3rd Party App or Try our Google Music service, but it's not a radio" - Couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably for 10min straight. ~UberSlackr

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSlackr View Post
Is this going to require Root?
Either root or a custom recovery to flash the zip. Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to phonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kRt_uK
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4CK_H0PP3R View Post
Is there any chance to make it work on wifi model ? with the help of dongle ? or any other way?
Wi-fi doesnt receive sms texts direct. So I think you need to use 'go sms' but not sure since I never used it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Wi-fi doesnt receive sms texts direct. So I think you need to use 'go sms' but not sure since I never used it.

Assuming your SIM/plan can support texting, using this MMS.apk should work fine. You can use GoSMS if you want, but you don't have to.

kRt_uK
Old
(Last edited by kRt_uK; 19th November 2012 at 08:03 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Phonic, he is talking about wi-fi model.
Text goes to the dongle direct. You could retrieve it only if, in same way, the dongle transmits the sms to N7. But I think the dongle doesn't have such capability.

UberSlackr
Old
(Last edited by UberSlackr; 19th November 2012 at 07:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Phonic, he is talking about wi-fi model.
Text goes to the dongle direct. You could retrieve it only if, in same way, the dongle transmits the sms to N7 over wi-fi. But I think the dongle doesn't have such capability.
Is this the Exact file provided be the OP in the Thread you listed?

If so, would it be possible to use the Original, not modified version (other than whats need to work on N7), MMS/SMS app?
I don't like CM's pop up reply, or "No smiley on keyboard" as I use them more than a "New Line."
Trying to stay as much "stock" as possible.....
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:
I called Google Device Support the other day, and asked about the possibility of Modem/Radio within the Nexus 7 3G.. and The CSR answer was "No you can not plug a Phone Cord or Ethernet cable into the device, and if you want to listen to the radio you must download a 3rd Party App or Try our Google Music service, but it's not a radio" - Couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably for 10min straight. ~UberSlackr

kRt_uK
Old
(Last edited by kRt_uK; 19th November 2012 at 08:04 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Is this the Exact file provided be the OP in the Thread you listed?

If so, would it be possible to use the Original, not modified version (other than whats need to work on N7), MMS/SMS app?
I don't like CM's pop up reply, or "No smiley on keyboard" as I use them more than a "New Line."
Trying to stay as much "stock" as possible.....
Yes it is.
The problem is that in Nakasig stock (N73g) you'll not find the mms.apk. You need to look for a stock mms.apk in others 4.2 stock roms. Not sure about ID assign problems.
The apk referred is very plain and I think the only mod was about the increasing number of characters which is good.
You can find the original Nexus 4 JB 4.2 System Apps here:
http://www.androidtaskforce.com/2012...4-system-dump/

UberSlackr
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Yes it is.
The problem is that in Nakasig stock (N73g) you'll not find the mms.apk. You need to look for a stock mms.apk in others 4.2 stock roms. Not sure about ID assign problems.
The apk referred is very plain and I think the only mod was about the increasing number of characters which is good.
You can find the original Nexus 4 JB 4.2 System Apps here:
http://www.androidtaskforce.com/2012...4-system-dump/

Under "Features" it lists
No smiley on keyboard, new line support instead (thanks to mikko3024)
A little bit bigger text message box (when it expands) so you can have a better view of your text, not much scrolling.

But I will try the Nexus 4 Stock you linked to.
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:

kRt_uK
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Under "Features" it lists
No smiley on keyboard, new line support instead (thanks to mikko3024)
A little bit bigger text message box (when it expands) so you can have a better view of your text, not much scrolling.

But I will try the Nexus 4 Stock you linked to.
Sorry I misunderstood you. You are right.
Not sure but I think that N4 is an odexed rom, the thread file is a deodexed one. Just to remember.

Synman
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 452

DONATE TO ME
anyone able to send MMS messages? I'm using the provided ATT microsim and can send/receive SMS just fine.... but I get an ANR when trying to send MMS.

Code:
Select Code
11-20 00:01:30.145: W/dalvikvm(3497): threadid=27: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40d5f930)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): FATAL EXCEPTION: WorkingMessage.send MMS
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.google.android.mms.pdu.PduPersister.persist
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage.createDraftMmsMessage(WorkingMessage.java:1532)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage.sendMmsWorker(WorkingMessage.java:1391)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage.access$700(WorkingMessage.java:76)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage$2.run(WorkingMessage.java:1192)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:856)
11-20 00:01:30.145: W/ActivityManager(490):   Force finishing activity com.android.mms/.ui.ComposeMessageActivity
Looks like MMS is incomplete in the stock ROM. I have a full MMS port I did for MMS out of one of my own apps I'll have to try.
AR.Pro - Poke Back - Adaptive Tuner --<>-- G-Tablet, Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Streak 7 4G, MID PD10 3G, Galaxy GT-I9100, & GT-I9250