Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD] Enable unlimited USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth tethering.

OP mostyle

19th November 2012, 01:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Augusta, Ga
Thanks Meter: 165

380 posts
More
Hey all. My first mod on the GNII. It's the result of ideas I had (modifying tetheringprovision.apk) and a bud (Electron73) had (modifying framework-res.apk) to restore the innate tethering ability of Android that AT$T loves to nuke for some reason...

The original idea came from Electron's thread post here and seeing as how I just got my new Note II I figured I'd try it out.. Eureka.. It works.

Again as you saw the idea was his.. Just a much cleaner mod that my modded Provision that fooled the simcard.

I've tested it on my device but as usual take the standard precautions... Back up before applying.

My phone is pure stock excluding this mod but I'm sure that'll be changing and I'll keep this up to date as I can.

Good luck and feedback is welcomed.

4Shared link - Flashable zipfile.. I use TWRP but should be fine in CWM.
Last edited by mostyle; 19th November 2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Indicate flashable zip
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mostyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th November 2012, 01:34 AM   |  #2  
Flag stockton
Thanks Meter: 11

30 posts
Donate to Me
More
Angry how to flash
Is this flash-able through Clock work recovery. Sorry if its a dumb question also will ATT see our usage like always and send us nasty emails trying to force us to a tethering plan. thanks in advance for your time and help.
19th November 2012, 03:41 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Augusta, Ga

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMEEKS

Is this flash-able through Clock work recovery. Sorry if its a dumb question also will ATT see our usage like always and send us nasty emails trying to force us to a tethering plan. thanks in advance for your time and help.

Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

There has been much discussion about whether or not they can 'see' tethering. In short if they choose to put the time and effort into it by doing packet analyzation or going back and and looking and your browsing then technically, yes it can always be detected. Just be mindful and don't go crazy and you should be fine. The last 3 devices I've had over 4 years were all modded to re-enable tethering and I've been fine but that's my story. Yours might differ. The main thing I'd suggest is to not go crazy and use 20 gigs of mobile data or something obvious.

I average 2-3 gigs a month regular phone usage so getting closer to the throttle ceiling of 5 shouldn't matter that much.
Last edited by mostyle; 19th November 2012 at 03:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mostyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th November 2012, 04:05 AM   |  #4  
Flag stockton
Thanks Meter: 11

30 posts
Donate to Me
More
Wink much appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostyle

Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

There has been much discussion about whether or not they can 'see' tethering. In short if they choose to put the time and effort into it by doing packet analyzation or going back and and looking and your browsing then technically, yes it can always be detected. Just be mindful and don't go crazy and you should be fine. The last 3 devices I've had over 4 years were all modded to re-enable tethering and I've been fine but that's my story. Yours might differ. The main thing I'd suggest is to not go crazy and use 20 gigs of mobile data or something obvious.

I average 2-3 gigs a month regular phone usage so getting closer to the throttle ceiling of 5 shouldn't matter that much.

Thank you for your response and great advice it is much appreciated. Have a great holiday.
19th November 2012, 04:32 PM   |  #5  
Just to NOTE. That AT&T Lte data plan & if your on an unlimited plan than your data cap is set to 10 gigs, b4 they slow you down. :what:
But we'll b using this thanx

Side note: when I tethered my Xbox from my phone they sent me a msg telling me about tethering plan. But just for normal use everyone will b ok. I get no msg from AT&T ever!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bajanman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th November 2012, 11:07 PM   |  #6  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 7

188 posts
More
i am using Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control rom when I installed this zip. It seems to be working fine, but now the multiwindow function isn't working. Just curious if anyone has this mod working with Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control ROM?
19th November 2012, 11:14 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Augusta, Ga

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko0ky

i am using Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control rom when I installed this zip. It seems to be working fine, but now the multiwindow function isn't working. Just curious if anyone has this mod working with Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control ROM?

You mean this rom?

If so, I'll apply the mod to it and post a flashable zip tonight. Will be easy to port..
The Following User Says Thank You to mostyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2012, 06:57 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 30

196 posts
This is probably the first thing I will flash on my GN2. Haven't seen anything else worth it except multi-window support. I need to tether my 4G with my Nexus 7! Been using FoxFi but prefer the native tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
20th November 2012, 03:56 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 19

117 posts
Hi, first thank you to OP. Can you advise what the advantages are to tethering using this "native" method vs out of the box besides the carrier not knowing you are doing so? It seems like straight NAT but is there a performance gain?

Thanks.
20th November 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #10  
Flag Ventura, Ca.
Thanks Meter: 84

278 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by E--Man

Hi, first thank you to OP. Can you advise what the advantages are to tethering using this "native" method vs out of the box besides the carrier not knowing you are doing so? It seems like straight NAT but is there a performance gain?

Thanks.

Thanks Mo for sharing, I have been trying to find a tether that works with the GNII and your solution worked like a champ! I got my GT-8013 Tethered to the phone along with the Two Wifi PS Vita's attached with no issues and working perfectly! Happy Holidays indeed to all!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
tether enable
Previous Thread Next Thread