5,597,815 Members 37,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Enable unlimited USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth tethering.

Tip us?
 
mostyle
Old
(Last edited by mostyle; 19th November 2012 at 02:42 AM.) Reason: Indicate flashable zip
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Posts: 380
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Augusta, Ga
Talking [MOD] Enable unlimited USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth tethering.

Hey all. My first mod on the GNII. It's the result of ideas I had (modifying tetheringprovision.apk) and a bud (Electron73) had (modifying framework-res.apk) to restore the innate tethering ability of Android that AT$T loves to nuke for some reason...

The original idea came from Electron's thread post here and seeing as how I just got my new Note II I figured I'd try it out.. Eureka.. It works.

Again as you saw the idea was his.. Just a much cleaner mod that my modded Provision that fooled the simcard.

I've tested it on my device but as usual take the standard precautions... Back up before applying.

My phone is pure stock excluding this mod but I'm sure that'll be changing and I'll keep this up to date as I can.

Good luck and feedback is welcomed.

4Shared link - Flashable zipfile.. I use TWRP but should be fine in CWM.
If you found this useful please say thanks!
Current device: Google Nexus 5 (running Cataclysm ROM with misc tweaks added)
Previous devices: AT&T Galaxy S4, AT&T Galaxy Note II running CARBON 1.7 with Bravia enabled, AT&T Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)

Definition of development finally explained with visuals included.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mostyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
BMEEKS
Old
#2  
BMEEKS's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: stockton

 
DONATE TO ME
Angry how to flash

Is this flash-able through Clock work recovery. Sorry if its a dumb question also will ATT see our usage like always and send us nasty emails trying to force us to a tethering plan. thanks in advance for your time and help.
 
mostyle
Old
(Last edited by mostyle; 19th November 2012 at 02:50 AM.)
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Posts: 380
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Augusta, Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMEEKS View Post
Is this flash-able through Clock work recovery. Sorry if its a dumb question also will ATT see our usage like always and send us nasty emails trying to force us to a tethering plan. thanks in advance for your time and help.
Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

There has been much discussion about whether or not they can 'see' tethering. In short if they choose to put the time and effort into it by doing packet analyzation or going back and and looking and your browsing then technically, yes it can always be detected. Just be mindful and don't go crazy and you should be fine. The last 3 devices I've had over 4 years were all modded to re-enable tethering and I've been fine but that's my story. Yours might differ. The main thing I'd suggest is to not go crazy and use 20 gigs of mobile data or something obvious.

I average 2-3 gigs a month regular phone usage so getting closer to the throttle ceiling of 5 shouldn't matter that much.
If you found this useful please say thanks!
Current device: Google Nexus 5 (running Cataclysm ROM with misc tweaks added)
Previous devices: AT&T Galaxy S4, AT&T Galaxy Note II running CARBON 1.7 with Bravia enabled, AT&T Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)

Definition of development finally explained with visuals included.
The Following User Says Thank You to mostyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
BMEEKS
Old
#4  
BMEEKS's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: stockton

 
DONATE TO ME
Wink much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostyle View Post
Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

There has been much discussion about whether or not they can 'see' tethering. In short if they choose to put the time and effort into it by doing packet analyzation or going back and and looking and your browsing then technically, yes it can always be detected. Just be mindful and don't go crazy and you should be fine. The last 3 devices I've had over 4 years were all modded to re-enable tethering and I've been fine but that's my story. Yours might differ. The main thing I'd suggest is to not go crazy and use 20 gigs of mobile data or something obvious.

I average 2-3 gigs a month regular phone usage so getting closer to the throttle ceiling of 5 shouldn't matter that much.
Thank you for your response and great advice it is much appreciated. Have a great holiday.
 
Bajanman
Old
#5  
Bajanman's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3822
Posts: 4,682
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles Ca.

 
DONATE TO ME
Just to NOTE. That AT&T Lte data plan & if your on an unlimited plan than your data cap is set to 10 gigs, b4 they slow you down. :what:
But we'll b using this thanx

Side note: when I tethered my Xbox from my phone they sent me a msg telling me about tethering plan. But just for normal use everyone will b ok. I get no msg from AT&T ever!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

I CAN'T PROMISE to fix all your problems but I CAN PROMISEyou won't face them alone.


[How To][Guide] Att Apn List

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bajanman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ko0ky
Old
#6  
ko0ky's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 180
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
i am using Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control rom when I installed this zip. It seems to be working fine, but now the multiwindow function isn't working. Just curious if anyone has this mod working with Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control ROM?
--

Current Device: Samsung Note 2 i317
Current Carrier: AT&T
ROM: STOCK
--

...I'm a forum.xda-developers.com junkie...
HTC 2125, 8525, TilT, Fuze, TilT2, ( embarrassed to add motorola backflip) Aria, Inspire,OneX
 
mostyle
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Posts: 380
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Augusta, Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko0ky View Post
i am using Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control rom when I installed this zip. It seems to be working fine, but now the multiwindow function isn't working. Just curious if anyone has this mod working with Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control ROM?
You mean this rom?

If so, I'll apply the mod to it and post a flashable zip tonight. Will be easy to port..
If you found this useful please say thanks!
Current device: Google Nexus 5 (running Cataclysm ROM with misc tweaks added)
Previous devices: AT&T Galaxy S4, AT&T Galaxy Note II running CARBON 1.7 with Bravia enabled, AT&T Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)

Definition of development finally explained with visuals included.
The Following User Says Thank You to mostyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
kkl0wn
Old
#8  
kkl0wn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 134
Join Date: Dec 2007
This is probably the first thing I will flash on my GN2. Haven't seen anything else worth it except multi-window support. I need to tether my 4G with my Nexus 7! Been using FoxFi but prefer the native tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
Motorola Atrix 4G with webtop [ EPinter's CM10 JellyBean / EPinters CM10 1.3Ghz kernel ]
ASUS Nexus 7 16Gb [ Cookies&Cream 1.2.1 / faux123 b4 kernel ]
ASUS Nexus 7 8Gb [ Stock 4.1.2 / no root ]

HP Touchpad (DEAD) [ Infamous battery w/ ? ]
 
E--Man
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 109
Join Date: May 2012
Hi, first thank you to OP. Can you advise what the advantages are to tethering using this "native" method vs out of the box besides the carrier not knowing you are doing so? It seems like straight NAT but is there a performance gain?

Thanks.
 
hkeyman
Old
#10  
hkeyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 84
Posts: 282
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ventura, Ca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E--Man View Post
Hi, first thank you to OP. Can you advise what the advantages are to tethering using this "native" method vs out of the box besides the carrier not knowing you are doing so? It seems like straight NAT but is there a performance gain?

Thanks.
Thanks Mo for sharing, I have been trying to find a tether that works with the GNII and your solution worked like a champ! I got my GT-8013 Tethered to the phone along with the Two Wifi PS Vita's attached with no issues and working perfectly! Happy Holidays indeed to all!
Transported from Hkeyman's
[TABLET] Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 - GT-N8013
[Phone] AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - SM-900A
[ ROM ] Stock...for now
[Kernel] Stock 3.4.0-1562818
[Baseband] Rooted JSS15J.N900AUCUBMI1

Tags
tether enable
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes