Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,710 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Enable unlimited USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth tethering.

Tip us?

Rocket42
Old
Thanks Meter 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostyle View Post
You mean this rom?

If so, I'll apply the mod to it and post a flashable zip tonight. Will be easy to port..
Hi there...I too am on that ROM ...does the link now work on it? Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
*Please Hit Thanks If I Have Helped you and I will do the Same *
Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free!
http://db.tt/3a2gSr5G
*Once you join and install Dropbox from above link , we'll both get an extra 250MB space. Hooray!*FREE*

mostyle
Old
(Last edited by mostyle; 20th November 2012 at 11:31 PM.) Reason: update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by E--Man View Post
Hi, first thank you to OP. Can you advise what the advantages are to tethering using this "native" method vs out of the box besides the carrier not knowing you are doing so? It seems like straight NAT but is there a performance gain?

Thanks.
Well..

Performance wise it isn't any different than the out-of-the-box method.. It IS the out-of-the-box method minus the provisioning app that the out-of-the-box method calls to see if you are 'eligible' before it activates tethering.

The gains:

The out-of-the-box method had no bluetooth tethering.. This does.

The install script deletes 'ProvisionManager.apk' and 'ProvisionManager.odex' since they aren't called any longer so.. You gain device space? Though it may be a moot point given the device capacity.

For me.. This is what mattered: This method isn't a hack. Zero chance of breaking something else on the device. Its a step toward making android perform as it was intended before that carriers perform their surgeries on it. I know this one may just be a personal preference but it really REALLY irritates me that American carriers spend time and effort to block features of the device that the device would have innately done before they modified it.

I wont get into a debate of semantics but if I shell out non-contract prices on a device and buy it outright (as I did in this case) I can't for the life of me figure out how the carrier has the right to tell me what features the device can have. They have every right to dictate service plan features but not device features.

Enough rambling. Back to development discussions. (If you wanna reply to my small rant, please, use PM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42 View Post
Hi there...I too am on that ROM ...does the link now work on it? Thank you
No. I'll make a mod that does and update the OP with a second link as soon as I finish it.. Stay tuned.

UPDATE:
I decompiled the framework-res.apk from this rom. It seems to have the needed edits for tethering to be unlimited. Is tethering missing from that rom? I'm headed out for drinks but I'll flash the complete rom later tonight or tomorrow and test it.
If you found this useful please say thanks!
Current device: Google Nexus 5 (running Cataclysm ROM with misc tweaks added)
Previous devices: AT&T Galaxy S4, AT&T Galaxy Note II running CARBON 1.7 with Bravia enabled, AT&T Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)

Definition of development finally explained with visuals included.
The Following User Says Thank You to mostyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 50821

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hey all. My first mod on the GNII. It's the result of ideas I had (modifying tetheringprovision.apk) and a bud (Electron73) had (modifying framework-res.apk) to restore the innate tethering ability of Android that AT$T loves to nuke for some reason...

The original idea came from Electron's thread post here and seeing as how I just got my new Note II I figured I'd try it out.. Eureka.. It works.

Again as you saw the idea was his.. Just a much cleaner mod that my modded Provision that fooled the simcard.

I've tested it on my device but as usual take the standard precautions... Back up before applying.

My phone is pure stock excluding this mod but I'm sure that'll be changing and I'll keep this up to date as I can.

Good luck and feedback is welcomed.

4Shared link - Flashable zipfile.. I use TWRP but should be fine in CWM.
Nice job! Thanks for sharing!

turilo
Old
Thanks Meter 732

DONATE TO ME
wondering if this will work for rogers here in canada

mostyle
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by turilo View Post
Doubtful.

If you want to PM me an email address you can send me your framework-res and I'll attempt to apply the patch.
Previous devices: AT&T Galaxy S4, AT&T Galaxy Note II running CARBON 1.7 with Bravia enabled, AT&T Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)

ShadowVlican
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Doubtful.

If you want to PM me an email address you can send me your framework-res and I'll attempt to apply the patch.
ygpm
Device: Samsung Note 2 Telus
ROM: slimkat weekly

mostyle
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by turilo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowVlican View Post
ygpm
I gave my email to ShadowVlican.. As soon as I get the framework-res from him I'll take a look.

Flame Red
Old
(Last edited by Flame Red; 22nd November 2012 at 06:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

There has been much discussion about whether or not they can 'see' tethering. In short if they choose to put the time and effort into it by doing packet analyzation or going back and and looking and your browsing then technically, yes it can always be detected. Just be mindful and don't go crazy and you should be fine. The last 3 devices I've had over 4 years were all modded to re-enable tethering and I've been fine but that's my story. Yours might differ. The main thing I'd suggest is to not go crazy and use 20 gigs of mobile data or something obvious.

I average 2-3 gigs a month regular phone usage so getting closer to the throttle ceiling of 5 shouldn't matter that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko0ky View Post
i am using Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control rom when I installed this zip. It seems to be working fine, but now the multiwindow function isn't working. Just curious if anyone has this mod working with Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control ROM?
I flashed with the I317_N7105ZHALJ4 and it activated the teathering, WIFI, BT and USB work great as does Multi-window

However, I am not sure what port this teathering uses. In some platforms, the teathering uses a different port number than other general data that apps use. The carriers can then easily scan for data using this port and send you the nasty SMS or just start charging you their tethering fees. But if the MOD uses the right port - the carriers would have no idea.

Anyone know which port I317_N7105ZHALJ4 ROM uses?

Tenkie
Old
Thanks Meter 13
This should work with the completely stock cleanrom 1.1.1 right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Weapon of choice : Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

45ACP1911
Old
(Last edited by 45ACP1911; 23rd November 2012 at 12:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24
It's what I'm using it on and works perfectly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Tags
tether enable