Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 46,251 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Player5][GUIDE] Unbrick + Recovery + Backup Instructions for YP-G70

Tip us?

Mevordel
Old
(Last edited by Mevordel; 11th March 2013 at 08:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1033
Arrow [Player5][GUIDE] Unbrick + Recovery + Backup Instructions for YP-G70

I am in the process of updating and expanding this thread to a useful state, so it's a bit disorganized right now.

Don't panic.

The first step in recovering your device is to examine the situation. Which variant of the Galaxy Player 5.0 do you have? If you have a 3.6, 4.0, or 4.2, leave now before you break something! If you have a physical home button (that moves when you push it), you have an "international" device. If your home button is flat, you have a "USA" device. If you have a Korean or 16GB model, ask and I will add more specific instructions.

Next, what is your problem?
  • My device will not turn on, and is stuck at a black screen.
    First, of course, make sure the battery is not dead. If the screen does not show anything even with the device plugged in, go to step 1.
  • My device only shows a black screen with "Phone -- ! -- PC" in the middle.
    You are actually in download mode. It just looks different. Go to step 2.
  • My device shows a mostly black screen with a "loading" circle in the middle when I turn it on, but still can enter download mode.
    Drain your battery fully, and you should be fixed. See *link* for more information.
  • My device shows a yellow triangle with "Downloading" at the top.
    You are in download mode. If you are stuck here, you need to flash a kernel. Go to step 2.
  • My device is stuck at a non-animated Samsung logo.
    You need to flash a kernel or a firmware. Head to step 2.
  • My device is stuck at a boot animation indefinitely.
    You are in what is called a "boot loop." See step 4.
  • My device boots fine. I just want to make a backup.
    Good job thinking ahead. See post four for instructions.
  • I not know what download mode is.
    Step 2 gives a brief explanation.
  • I do not know what CWM is.
    Step 3 gives a brief explanation.
  • I cannot flash things in download mode, even with a PIT.
    See the section of post three about DD dumps and fdisk.
  • I just want to go back to stock
    See step 2.

Step 1 - Restoring Bootloaders
If your device is stuck at a completely black screen (no Samsung logo), then something is wrong with the Player's boot loaders. Your device cannot do anything until these are fixed (as they provide the download mode used in step 2). There is a tool that can help you fix them, but it does not work in every case. If it does not work for you, there is nothing you can do but pay someone to fix your player, or send it back to where you bought it from.

What you will need:
  • A computer running Linux (if you have never used Linux before, Ubuntu is considered a good place to start).
  • A USB cable and a port on the back of your computer (if it is a desktop). No hubs!

Boot into Linux and make sure Java is installed. Download *tool*, *bootloaders*, *heimdall* and the *appropriate PIT for your device*.

To run the Unbrickable Resueerctor tool, double-click the .jar file (or right-click and open with java), or on the command line, run
Code:
Select Code
java -jar ~/path/to/jarfile
Technical Explanation:

Step 2 - Flashing a Kernel
Now that your device has functional boot loaders, you can enter and use download mode. There are two tools you can use on your PC to flash things while your device is in this mode: Odin and heimdall. Odin is proprietary software made by Samsung that only runs on windows; heimdall is an open-source, cross-platform replacement.

Technical Explanation:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mevordel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mevordel
Old
(Last edited by Mevordel; 16th February 2013 at 05:44 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1033
Step 3 - Flashing Firmware

Technical Explanation:

Step 4 - Getting out of a boot loop
The simple solution is to boot into recovery and "wipe data/factory reset." The next boot will take a while, but it should succeed. If it does not, you will need to re-flash your firmware.

Technical Explanation:

There are 3 reasons you can get into a bootloop:
  • Missing/corrupted system files
  • Data left over from a previous firmware
  • Unsupported or corrupted filesystem
The Following User Says Thank You to Mevordel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mevordel
Old
(Last edited by Mevordel; 16th February 2013 at 05:30 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1033
Fixing partitions the hard way
The fdisk method
This requires more typing and is more prone to error, but may take less time and is the only way if your device variant does not have an available dd dump.

Technical Explanation:

The dd method
Some people have gotten themselves into a place where their partitions are messed up and repartitioning with a PIT file is of no use. As an alternative to the fdisk method, here is a full dd dump for use in recovering your player. This file WILL NOT get you fully up and running again by itself. DO NOT flash it with Odin. In order to make the file small enough to not take days to download (literally), I zeroed out some partitions that would have gotten formatted anyways. Please read the instructions for use below. If you want to make a dump of your player, see instructions in the second post.

Files
Mevordel's SGP 5.0 (post-JTAG): http://www.mediafire.com/?ugzfkcaqcq1cacs (There is a small possibility that this file may have some issues - remember, I had to get my player JTAG'd - but I wouldn't worry too much, as it boots my player now. If you're paranoid, ask in the thread for someone else to make one.)
  1. Get your player into CWM recovery mode. I don't care how. Recommended way: use resurrector if needed to flash Entropy512's kernel in download mode.
  2. Download a dump file onto your computer.
  3. Write file to your device. There are three basic options here.:
    1. Use an SD card. Once you've downloaded the file, extract it, and, on your Linux-based system (like Ubuntu), find out the device node associated with your SD card by running 'dmesg' in a terminal right after plugging it in. It should be a three-letter code in brackets starting with 'sd', like '[sdc]'. When you type it later, do not type the brackets. Make sure it is unmounted, and then, in the terminal, run:
      Code:
      Select Code
      dd if="/path/to/extracted/mmcblk0" of=/dev/sdX && sync && sync
      where sdX is the node you found earlier. This will erase everything on your SD card! Now put your SD card in your player. Open up an ADB shell and type:
      Code:
      Select Code
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=32768 count=242432
      This will take a few hours, so make sure your computer does not go to sleep, and do not unplug your player, or you'll have to start over. Once it is done, run 'sync' a few times, and exit the ADB shell. Now move to step 4. (To put your SD card back to normal, put it back in your PC and use gparted or WIndows Disk Manager to delete all of its partitions and create a new FAT32 partition filling it up.)
    2. ADB push. This is untested, but it should work. (If adb complains about running out of space, you'll have to try another way, and please report back.) Extract the lzma file on your computer. Then open a terminal/command prompt and run:
      Code:
      Select Code
      adb push /path/to/extracted/mmcblk0 /dev/block/mmcblk0
      This will take an hour or two, so make sure your computer does not go to sleep, and do not unplug your player, or you'll have to start over. Once it is done, run 'adb shell sync' a few times for good measure, and move on to step 4.
    3. Extract the file on your device. This is the least likely to work, but may be the fastest. Open a terminal/command prompt and run:
      Code:
      Select Code
      adb push /path/to/downloaded/mmcblk0.lzma /tmp/
      Now in an ADB shell, run:
      Code:
      Select Code
      lzcat /tmp/mmcblk0.lzma > /dev/block/mmcblk0
      This will take a few hours, so make sure your computer does not go to sleep, and do not unplug your player, or you'll have to start over. If you get errors about running out of memory, I can try using a different compression format, but you're basically out of luck. Once it is done, run 'sync' a few times, and exit the ADB shell. Now move to step 4.
  4. Optionally, unplug your player, use the CWM menu to turn it off, and enter recovery with the button combo. This will test if the write was successful. If you try the button combo a few times and can't get it, try flashing again or use a different method.
  5. In CWM, go to 'Mounts and Storage,' and format /system, /datadata, /cache, and /data. (For some reason, formatting /emmc does not work, but that's not really an issue.)
  6. Install a (preferrable stock or stock-based) firmware. Either reboot into download mode and use Odin (without repartitioning!) or install a zip from the external SD card.
  7. Reboot into Android. It will tell you you need to format your storage. Do it. If it fails, go to Settings -> SD card and device storage -> Format USB storage.
  8. ???
  9. Profit!

Technical Explanation:

LG Nexus 5 (Omni 4.4 / Franco.kernel) | Galaxy Player 5.0 (CM10.2 M1)
NOGAPPS -- HoloGlass -- NexusLouder | Chip v1.5 (XXKPL)
I only use free/libre/open-source software (except DriveDroid; it's that awesome)

Mevordel
Old
(Last edited by Mevordel; 11th March 2013 at 08:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1033
Making/Restoring a Backup

/efs Backups

Technical Explanation:

"Nandroid" Backups

Technical Explanation:

Odin/Heimdall-Flashable Backups
Making an Odin or Heimdall-flashable backup involves pulling partitions off your device onto your computer, and then packaging them in a way Odin or Heimdall will understand. First, here is a table of all of the partitions on your device. It shows their device names, their sizes, and the PIT-mapping file name (the name Odin uses).
Code:
Select Code

Device			Size (KiB) Mount       Name               Notes
/dev/block/mmcblk0      7757824                                   Internal eMMC disk device
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1    1                                         Extended partition containing everything else
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5    256                    boot.bin           Initial+Primary Bootloaders
/dev/block/mmcblk0p6    256                    YPG70_8G-0304.pit  Partition Information Table
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7    1280                   Sbl.bin            Secondary Bootloader
/dev/block/mmcblk0p8    1280                   Sbl.bin            SBL backup
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9    5120       /mnt/.lfs   param.lfs          param.blk and boot logos - source of recovery loops
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10   10240      /efs        efs.rfs            WiFi and BT MAC addresses - causes missing lockscreen
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11   7680                   zImage             Kernel
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12   7680                   zImage             "Recovery" kernel that is never used
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13   296960     /system     factoryfs.rfs      System partition
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14   137216     /dbdata     dbdata.rfs         Various Android/app databases
/dev/block/mmcblk0p15   65536      /cache      cache.rfs          Cache partition
/dev/block/mmcblk0p16   1970176    /data       datafs.rfs         Data partition (apps and their data)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p17   5252096    /sdcard     userfs_8G.rfs      "Emmc" "Usb Storage" - where your media goes
/dev/block/mmcblk1      <varies>                                  External SD Card disk device
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1    <varies>   /sdcard/external_sd            External SD Card partition
Pulling files off your device
Many of these files are in use while android is booted (they are mounted filesystems), so it is highly recommended to extract the files in recovery. To do that, you will need an "insecure" kernel--one that gives you root access in CWM, like Entropy's or rj's. Either way, you will need adb. Enter a root shell, and for each partition you want to back up, run the following, with device and name coming from the appropriate columns in the table above.
Code:
Select Code
adb pull <device> <name>
Putting them in an Odin tar

Making a Heimdall One-click package

Technical Explanation:

This partition information was taken from the commands "mount" and "cat /proc/partitions" on the device, and "heimdall print-pit" on the PC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mevordel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

exodus454
Old
(Last edited by exodus454; 1st December 2012 at 05:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Thanks again for this image. I just got my player working again and am in the process of restoring it right now. I can say so far that methods 'b' and 'c' didn't work for me. B complained about no free space after 30 mins or so, and C gave some protocol error with an unknown status.

I'm about to give the first option a try and see how that goes. I don't have an SD card reader though so I'm gonna try restoring the Image through my phone.. don't see why it wouldn't work but I guess well see.

Ok, so I got the image copied from my phone internal memory to the sd card with terminal emulator. Popped the SD card in my SGP, ran the dd command through adb shell and after copying for an hour or so now my player is completely unresponsive again. I can use UnBrickable to get back into download mode, but nothing I flash will stick and I keep getting a "there is no PIT partiton" error in ODIN, even after flashing a PIT. I also can't get into CWM anymore so I can't try copying mmcblk0 again with ADB.

Any ideas? Is there a way to flash the entire mmcblk0 with ODIN? Or maybe you could split the partitions up?
Galaxy Player 5.0 US - EXODUS kernel, chiprom, 1.5ghz! - currently being unbricked
I747 - Philz CWM, leankernel, pac rom 4.3 nightlies
The Following User Says Thank You to exodus454 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrlightman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm a N00B and I had my SGP YP-G70 intl accidentally bricked. I've been doing my best to learn with my mistake and to learn geeking to recover the SGP.
It's been very dificult to me but I won't give up. I was able to use the Unbrickable Resurrector R40 to get SGP into download mode. I flashed the Froyo ROM, Bootloaders provided in Adam's thread and r14 kernel. All of them says PASS in Odin, despite that SGP wont reboot or turn on.

I really need your help to find out what is going wrong. I suspect something is wrong with Bootloaders or something.

Would that be possible to drive me step by step to make it using Heimdall and share the appropriate YP-G70 Intl files I will need?

Thanks in advance.

lolo9393
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlightman View Post
I'm a N00B and I had my SGP YP-G70 intl accidentally bricked. I've been doing my best to learn with my mistake and to learn geeking to recover the SGP.
It's been very dificult to me but I won't give up. I was able to use the Unbrickable Resurrector R40 to get SGP into download mode. I flashed the Froyo ROM, Bootloaders provided in Adam's thread and r14 kernel. All of them says PASS in Odin, despite that SGP wont reboot or turn on.

I really need your help to find out what is going wrong. I suspect something is wrong with Bootloaders or something.

Would that be possible to drive me step by step to make it using Heimdall and share the appropriate YP-G70 Intl files I will need?

Thanks in advance.
My suggestion is you should post opening a new thread related to your issue because your request will stay buried in this OP and may be never answered as well.
In order to understand what's going on tell if your are able to go to recovery and wipe everything. If done what are the messages given at this step. this would clarify in case of "poluted partition".
Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Many Thanks Mr Mevordel, this is a great achievment.

Mevordel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1033
Default Re: [Player5][GUIDE] Unbrick + Recovery + Backup Instructions for YP-G70

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Your best bet is to flash boot loaders only with the correct PIT. Then try going into download mode.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
I only use free/libre/open-source software (except DriveDroid; it's that awesome)

mrlightman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo9393 View Post
My suggestion is you should post opening a new thread related to your issue because your request will stay buried in this OP and may be never answered as well.
In order to understand what's going on tell if your are able to go to recovery and wipe everything. If done what are the messages given at this step. this would clarify in case of "poluted partition".
Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Many Thanks Mr Mevordel, this is a great achievment.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've already tried to open a new thread but had no answers.

I cant get it into recovery mode, is there any way to force it. What I can do is get it into Download Mode, using Unbrickable Ressurector, so I flash it using Odin but it wont boot or turn on.

Really need help from experienced people: senior members.

Thank you very much

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevordel View Post
Your best bet is to flash boot loaders only with the correct PIT. Then try going into download mode.

I've tryied that too, the matter is that I can't enter into download mode without using Unbrickable Ressurector 'cause when I flash the bootloaders or ROMs the process goes till the end and says: SUCESS but SGP wont turn on or reboot by itself.

Please give me some light.

Regards

Mevordel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1033
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I've already tried to open a new thread but had no answers.

I cant get it into recovery mode, is there any way to force it. What I can do is get it into Download Mode, using Unbrickable Ressurector, so I flash it using Odin but it wont boot or turn on.

Really need help from experienced people: senior members.

Thank you very much

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

I've tryied that too, the matter is that I can't enter into download mode without using Unbrickable Ressurector 'cause when I flash the bootloaders or ROMs the process goes till the end and says: SUCESS but SGP wont turn on or reboot by itself.

Please give me some light.

Regards
Try using heimdall.