Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] Superboot - Nexus 10 root solution

Tip us?

paulobrien
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5,683
Default [ROOT] Superboot - Nexus 10 root solution

Introducing.... Superboot!

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy!

P
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien

Follow MoDaCo Android on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

noodlesfordaddy
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien View Post
Introducing.... Superboot!

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy!

P
I almost asked if anyone could confirm that this works... then I saw that it was written by Paul O'Brien himself.

Awesome!

So this won't wipe anything at all, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to noodlesfordaddy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

treyy
Old
Thanks Meter 14
the superuser not. But u have to unlock it before and that wipe your device
Don't tell me the sky's the limit when I know there are footprints on the moon...

rufus-
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyy View Post
the superuser not. But u have to unlock it before and that wipe your device
How can i save all program, data, internal storage, aplications, etc, before unlock bootloader?
comand "adb backup" save all this? and then, how restore the backup┐?

This method of root changus the stock recovery? Or only installs ths superuser whitout changes on any stock system?

For OTA updates, i need to relock recovery or not?

Thank you

paulobrien
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesfordaddy View Post
I almost asked if anyone could confirm that this works... then I saw that it was written by Paul O'Brien himself.

Awesome!

So this won't wipe anything at all, right?
Correct, unlocking does though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus- View Post
How can i save all program, data, internal storage, aplications, etc, before unlock bootloader?
comand "adb backup" save all this? and then, how restore the backup┐?

This method of root changus the stock recovery? Or only installs ths superuser whitout changes on any stock system?

For OTA updates, i need to relock recovery or not?

Thank you
No recovery change, just Superuser, no need to relock for OTA.

P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

akhan47
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Just rooted. Thanks!

rufus-
Old
(Last edited by rufus-; 21st November 2012 at 08:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien View Post
Correct, unlocking does though.

No recovery change, just Superuser, no need to relock for OTA.

P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you, but unlock bootloader wipe all..
For backup, only with command "adb backup" works fine?

paulobrien
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5,683
Yes, the oem unlock wipes, use adb backup.

P

AjSvb
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So I've had my Nexus 10 a few days and unlocked only. Can I use this as is or do I need to wipe my device first? Noob here and have been hearing horror stories of boot loops etc with the other methods so this appeals to me....won't lose any of my data or app installs because it's already unlocked right?

Mike02z
Old
Thanks Meter 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjSvb View Post
So I've had my Nexus 10 a few days and unlocked only. Can I use this as is or do I need to wipe my device first? Noob here and have been hearing horror stories of boot loops etc with the other methods so this appeals to me....won't lose any of my data or app installs because it's already unlocked right?
This does not wipe your device. Unlocking it does. If you have already unlocked, this will not erase anything. Just an easy way to get root.
HTC One (M8)
Microsoft Surface Pro 3