Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[ROOT] Superboot - Nexus 10 root solution

OP paulobrien

20th November 2012, 04:25 PM   |  #1  
paulobrien's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 5,684
 
4,437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2003
Introducing.... Superboot!

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy!

P
The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2012, 05:17 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Sydney, NSW
Thanks Meter: 8
 
207 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien

Introducing.... Superboot!

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

  • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy!

P

I almost asked if anyone could confirm that this works... then I saw that it was written by Paul O'Brien himself.

Awesome!

So this won't wipe anything at all, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to noodlesfordaddy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2012, 06:02 PM   |  #3  
treyy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
176 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
the superuser not. But u have to unlock it before and that wipe your device
20th November 2012, 10:07 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyy

the superuser not. But u have to unlock it before and that wipe your device

How can i save all program, data, internal storage, aplications, etc, before unlock bootloader?
comand "adb backup" save all this? and then, how restore the backup┐?

This method of root changus the stock recovery? Or only installs ths superuser whitout changes on any stock system?

For OTA updates, i need to relock recovery or not?

Thank you
21st November 2012, 12:18 AM   |  #5  
paulobrien's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 5,684
 
4,437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesfordaddy

I almost asked if anyone could confirm that this works... then I saw that it was written by Paul O'Brien himself.

Awesome!

So this won't wipe anything at all, right?

Correct, unlocking does though.





Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus-

How can i save all program, data, internal storage, aplications, etc, before unlock bootloader?
comand "adb backup" save all this? and then, how restore the backup┐?

This method of root changus the stock recovery? Or only installs ths superuser whitout changes on any stock system?

For OTA updates, i need to relock recovery or not?

Thank you

No recovery change, just Superuser, no need to relock for OTA.

P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2012, 12:51 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 236
 
423 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Just rooted. Thanks!
21st November 2012, 09:34 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien

Correct, unlocking does though.







No recovery change, just Superuser, no need to relock for OTA.

P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you, but unlock bootloader wipe all..
For backup, only with command "adb backup" works fine?
Last edited by rufus-; 21st November 2012 at 09:51 AM.
21st November 2012, 09:38 AM   |  #8  
paulobrien's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 5,684
 
4,437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2003
Yes, the oem unlock wipes, use adb backup.

P
21st November 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
So I've had my Nexus 10 a few days and unlocked only. Can I use this as is or do I need to wipe my device first? Noob here and have been hearing horror stories of boot loops etc with the other methods so this appeals to me....won't lose any of my data or app installs because it's already unlocked right?
21st November 2012, 02:54 PM   |  #10  
Mike02z's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Holland, PA/Lake Ariel, PA
Thanks Meter: 335
 
950 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjSvb

So I've had my Nexus 10 a few days and unlocked only. Can I use this as is or do I need to wipe my device first? Noob here and have been hearing horror stories of boot loops etc with the other methods so this appeals to me....won't lose any of my data or app installs because it's already unlocked right?

This does not wipe your device. Unlocking it does. If you have already unlocked, this will not erase anything. Just an easy way to get root.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes