Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 52,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] editing the build.prop has no effect on Polaroid PMID4311

Tip us?

iJimaniac
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] editing the build.prop has no effect on Polaroid PMID4311

Hello, I have a few questions concerning the Polaroid PMID4311 (a cheapo 4.3 inch allwinner CPU device running 4.0 my little brother picked up). Fist off let me say I am no noob at android, and have had much experience modding my galaxy player. The problem is he wants to play some Gameloft games (nova 2, asphalt 6), but of course they give infamous "this device is not compatible request a refund" message. So no biggie, I just change the model in build.prop, right? Now here is the mystery; it doesn't make any difference what I change the model to - it still gives the error and still shows the original model under "about device" in system settings. I have done this countless times on other devices with no problem. I have checked the default.prop, and the boot image is insecure (ro.secure=0). The device came rooted. Any thoughts? Also, if anyone has this device, I seem to have lost my backup of the original build.prop, and would appreciate a copy. Thank you!

Sent from my YP-G1 running Nebula B1
Get R.E.D.D ->> Got R.E.D.D? <<- Get R.E.D.D

Asking an ETA for a rom is like asking for a hug from Chuck Norris. Moral: NO ETA'S!

Flashing CyanogenMod on a YP-G1 before backing up the EFS is like punching Chuck Norris before you're ready to die. Moral: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR EFS!

jonahly
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Default Mh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
Hello, I have a few questions concerning the Polaroid PMID4311 (a cheapo 4.3 inch allwinner CPU device running 4.0 my little brother picked up). Fist off let me say I am no noob at android, and have had much experience modding my galaxy player. The problem is he wants to play some Gameloft games (nova 2, asphalt 6), but of course they give infamous "this device is not compatible request a refund" message. So no biggie, I just change the model in build.prop, right? Now here is the mystery; it doesn't make any difference what I change the model to - it still gives the error and still shows the original model under "about device" in system settings. I have done this countless times on other devices with no problem. I have checked the default.prop, and the boot image is insecure (ro.secure=0). The device came rooted. Any thoughts? Also, if anyone has this device, I seem to have lost my backup of the original build.prop, and would appreciate a copy. Thank you!

I got two things.. >>Random> We both have the same device :0

Ok.. Try compiling it on your computer once finished? That may help.

And I don't have a original my brother messes with my tablet.. I'm just starting to code in C++
The Following User Says Thank You to jonahly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iJimaniac
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahly View Post
I got two things.. >>Random> We both have the same device :0

Ok.. Try compiling it on your computer once finished? That may help.

And I don't have a original my brother messes with my tablet.. I'm just starting to code in C++
Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure I understand what you want me to compile?

And if you're just starting to code in c++, you're 1-up on me

Asking an ETA for a rom is like asking for a hug from Chuck Norris. Moral: NO ETA'S!

Flashing CyanogenMod on a YP-G1 before backing up the EFS is like punching Chuck Norris before you're ready to die. Moral: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR EFS!

jonahly
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Default l

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure I understand what you want me to compile?

And if you're just starting to code in c++, you're 1-up on me

Try compiling the Build.prop once edited (Edit, Save, Compile.) If that doesn't work google.

iJimaniac
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Try compiling the Build.prop once edited (Edit, Save, Compile.) If that doesn't work google.
I have never heard of compiling build.prop before, what do you use to compile it?

jonahly
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Don't worry about 'compiling" use a usb - edit on computer save it. Put it back where it goes I wasn't good at it earlier.. But I got it figured out.. please give me a thanks

Sent from my PMID4311 using xda premium
Devices
Sprint LG Optimus G
ROM: Blue Lightning
Kernel: 1.7Ghz
Lenovo ThinkPad A1000
Soft-Bricked.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonahly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iJimaniac
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Don't worry about 'compiling" use a usb - edit on computer save it. Put it back where it goes I wasn't good at it earlier.. But I got it figured out.. please give me a thanks

Well, I have edited it, and I do know what I am doing, but there is no effect. I'll give you a thanks just because I like making people happy.

jonahly
Old
Thanks Meter 130
What OS are you using? If you use windows it won't work.. Try getting Gedit on your computer.

Devices
Sprint LG Optimus G
Lenovo ThinkPad A1000
Soft-Bricked.

iJimaniac
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What OS are you using? If you use windows it won't work.. Try getting Gedit on your computer.

I use notepad++ on windows, but have also edited it on the device using root explorer. I know this isn't the issue since certain properties will work if I change them (example: I can change the firmware version from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2).

jonahly
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Ok, get root explorer plus, using web. Edit build.prop with text editor. Delete backup. Turn off tablet. Turn back on. Done!

Devices
Sprint LG Optimus G
Lenovo ThinkPad A1000
Soft-Bricked.