Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Microsoft Surface RT Videos (Reviews, Tips, Apps)

OP vgjfelix

20th November 2012, 11:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 151

313 posts
Hi all,

I am starting a series of videos that will look at every aspect of the Surface RT tablet. I do reviews on different aspects of the device, basic tutorials to learn how to use the device and app reviews on the best, most useful and free apps.

I have previously done very successful videos on the Asus Transformer Prime (150 videos) and the Nexus 7 (100 videos) but I see this as being my biggest project to date since Windows 8 is such a radical departure from previous version that I'll be posting many videos as I learn new and interesting things. Here are a few videos just to give you a flavour of my work.

I am literally scratching the surface (every pun intended) of this device and will be kicking out a couple of videos everyday for a good few weeks. I'll be updating this thread regularly. I hope you find them useful, entertaining and informative.

Thanks in advance,

vgjfelix
The Following User Says Thank You to vgjfelix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2012, 03:06 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 21

178 posts
Cool - Couple of comments.

On the Tile Screen, if you drag one app way to the bottom, it will also shrink the size of the start screen overall, making it easier to drag long distances accross many groups. I am finding this crucial, since my start screen is getting really long - over 70 apps. Which brings me to my next comment - Hopefully MS or a 3rd party developer will come up with an option to group tiles into folders as you can do on Ipads and Android, as app management is going to be an issue with the current layout and no ability to group into folders

Regarding the charging cable - I am surprised you made no comment how tough it is sometimes to get the magnetic connection to seat properly and start charging even though it appears to be connected - I think MS failed on the design. Apparent in your video when you are using 2 hands to get it seated correctly. I had heard this can be fixed by filing the sharp edges of the connector but have not been brave enough to do it yet.

Other than that - Good job - Keep them coming . .
21st November 2012, 06:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

313 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar1969

Cool - Couple of comments.

On the Tile Screen, if you drag one app way to the bottom, it will also shrink the size of the start screen overall, making it easier to drag long distances accross many groups. I am finding this crucial, since my start screen is getting really long - over 70 apps. Which brings me to my next comment - Hopefully MS or a 3rd party developer will come up with an option to group tiles into folders as you can do on Ipads and Android, as app management is going to be an issue with the current layout and no ability to group into folders

Regarding the charging cable - I am surprised you made no comment how tough it is sometimes to get the magnetic connection to seat properly and start charging even though it appears to be connected - I think MS failed on the design. Apparent in your video when you are using 2 hands to get it seated correctly. I had heard this can be fixed by filing the sharp edges of the connector but have not been brave enough to do it yet.

Other than that - Good job - Keep them coming . .

Thanks for the comment. Thanks for the app drag tip. I am learning just like everyone else at the moment so whenever someone tells me something like this I think 'this needs a video' so I'll probably do one about it.

I have noticed since doing the plug review that is it a little tricky to connect up the charger. I might bring this up in a later video.

vgjfelix
21st November 2012, 07:00 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

313 posts
Two more videos here.

First of all I know this review is completely out of number sequence, I just wanted to put this one up as soon as I did because this topic is important to me.

Font sizes. Once again another tablet fails to deliver when it comes to giving us the freedom to set font sizes how we would like. That's what we do a lot of the time with tablets, and you can always resize fonts in books readers. So why doesn't this extend to apps and the tablet (and I'm talking about tablets in general here) eco system as a whole. Well one app in this video proves it is possible with a brilliant feature.

And the second one: here begins my App-Snack videos. First one is a simple live clock and date tile:

vgjfelix
22nd November 2012, 09:03 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

313 posts
A quick look on my experiences (so far) of how the tablet lock and unlocks

22nd November 2012, 09:36 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,782

5,862 posts
More
If you use the legacy (non-Metro) control panel, you can adjust the DPI to enlarge text and everything in the screen. However, this may push the display below the minimum resolution to use metro-style apps.
22nd November 2012, 06:44 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

313 posts
This video is a quick test about using the tablet in a confined space:

22nd November 2012, 11:27 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

313 posts
Today is a quick look at an odd problem with the youtube reply button on the browser.

23rd November 2012, 08:05 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

313 posts
Just in case you didn't know. You don't have to get an official HDMI cable:

24th November 2012, 11:07 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

313 posts
This is a video about some of my first impressions tile arrangement on the start screen:

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread