5,815,095 Members 38,353 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Keeping Unlimited Data?

Tip us?

Diversion
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I just got back from VZW Corporate store.

I have 4 lines on a family account, i'm the owner of the entire account - I have TWO upgrades on my account and there's literally no way to be able to keep the unlimited data if the upgrade is on the line that has unlimited. It only works if you use a tiered line's upgrade for your unlimited line.

I know this might seem hard to follow but in short:

Unlimited Line has upgrade = wasted, nothing you can do with it
Tiered line has upgrade = useful for unlimited line

I don't find really any phone being with $600 to $700 after tax. That's just plain robbery. I've been doing it on my past 2 phones and now that I have upgrades actually available, i'm plainly fed up. I threaten to close my account with VZW but they would LOVE for that to happen because they don't want unlimited plan folks on their network anymore.

Now it's a game to test my wits.. How long can I go with my SG3 before going insane? I have to wait another year for one of my tiered lines to have an upgrade available.

kimdoocheol
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

I have 4 lines on a family account, i'm the owner of the entire account - I have TWO upgrades on my account and there's literally no way to be able to keep the unlimited data if the upgrade is on the line that has unlimited. It only works if you use a tiered line's upgrade for your unlimited line.

I don't find really any phone being with $600 to $700 after tax. That's just plain robbery. I've been doing it on my past 2 phones and now that I have upgrades actually available, i'm plainly fed up. I threaten to close my account with VZW but they would LOVE for that to happen because they don't want unlimited plan folks on their network anymore.

Now it's a game to test my wits.. How long can I go with my SG3 before going insane? I have to wait another year for one of my tiered lines to have an upgrade available.
So why don't you use the tiered line upgrade and then switch the note to your line? I'm not really following this since you said two upgrades are available one on the tiered line and one on the unlimited.

XstitchCowgirl
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Speaking of lines and unlimited. Our plan states that both are smartphones share the unlimited data. I keep hearing people talking about no unlimited data on certain lines??

I did preorder Note2 full price so we could keep unlimited and we were not eligible anyway as my line isn't up till Feb.

I can't imagine not having unlimited with the Note2, because its so powerful and with large screen, plan to use Netflix and music a lot!!

eganraC
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'll be buying outright simple because they tacked on a $30 upgrade fee when I tried to preorder...Yea I know it makes no sense but its a principle thing now...haha
Motorola XOOM EOS
Nexus 7 - EOS
Verizon Galaxy Nexus - EOS
Logitec Revue (x2)

xdadevnube
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by eganraC View Post
I'll be buying outright simple because they tacked on a $30 upgrade fee when I tried to preorder...Yea I know it makes no sense but its a principle thing now...haha
If you purchase the phone outright, say from Verizon or Amazon Wireless, and pop in your working SIM, you don't have to pay the upgrade fee?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

geoff5093
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdadevnube View Post
If you purchase the phone outright, say from Verizon or Amazon Wireless, and pop in your working SIM, you don't have to pay the upgrade fee?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Nope, I bought my DNA yesterday with no upgrade fee when I paid full retail. I also had no fee when buying my GS3 or MAXX HD.

swan3609
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

I have an unlimited data line and I was due for the upgrade, I moved the upgrade to my dads 4gb tiered line and pre ordered on his line and everything appears to be just fine.. I wonder what the difference was? Did you try and go online and do this? I am not second guessing you, I just dont know what the difference is between our situations..

mi7chy
Old
Thanks Meter 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum747 View Post
I will be giving up unlimited data this go around. After getting laid off of my job of 6 years I had to take a lower paying gig and the only way I could talk my wife into the Note 2 was if we combine our plans. I have never used more than 8 gb in a month and she uses 1 gb. We will either go with the 8 gb shared and save $30 a month by combining or maybe the 10gb plan. Its a small price to pay for me to upgrade from my X to the N2. It is what it is, I will make it work even though it does suck.
Have you considered dropping carrier texting and lowering minutes to 450 while keeping unlimited data and using Google Voice and Groove IP for unlimited calls and unlimited SMS over data? You can also look into applying a corporate discount on your plan. As far as the Note II you're bound to find a good deal on Craigslist.

omgitswes
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah I'm buying it at full retail just to keep unlimited. This will also be my last phone with Verizon. Moving to prepaid T-mobile after this one, hopefully they have real 4G by then

Cgc2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've got a 5th line with a 3g dumb phone on Family Share Unlimited plan. Upgrading that to the Note 2 for 2year contract discount. Killing that in 24 hrs and transferring N2 to me/current Gnex and putting dumb phone back on 5th line. Keep unlimited data