Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 51,478 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Signature image restrictions

Tip us?

GldRush98
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 266
Default Signature image restrictions

I know this board is HUGE and I'm just one voice, but I wanted to get this out there.

Signature images should be disallowed.
That, or sig image sizes need to be heavily restricted.
It has gotten really out of hand as of late and makes the forum a scroll-fest. It is unnecessary and downright frustrating when surfing via a phone or tablet.

Case and point... 2 posts. One with one word, one with a very short sentence. 2 posts take up the ENTIRE screen. Come on...

Neither image adds anything useful to either poster's content and neither image is really useful for anything else.
Even more annoying is some user's sig images eat up an entire page by themselves. When half a thread's space is eaten up with worthless sig images, it just makes the board look like a cluttered mess.

Venting over.
The Following User Says Thank You to GldRush98 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Deadly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3901

DONATE TO ME
you are right about images being a bit large in some cases which annoys me too when i am on PC.. but you mentioned its hard to navigate in site due to this at mobile and tablet.. there are apps for mobiles and tablets for that reason.. so why use site through browser when you have app which doesnt show these signatures?

there are some images which are too large which makes it hard.. but the above 2 doesnt seems to be that big.. but nice suggestion.. may be you should say this here to get mods/admins attention better..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1987254
"Thanks button is just to avoid "thanks" posts in threads. Nothing more than that. Don't ask in signature or post for it and defeat the purpose why it was introduced"

a.cid
Old
Recognized Contributor / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2586
You should report it to your fsm, with a link to the user profiles...
Do not engage yourself, as people may not always agree with you...

Just report to a mod, works everytime for me :thumbup:

This signature space is dedicated to the OT Thanks feature. RIP OT thanks, you shall be missed.

It_ler
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 14856
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98 View Post
I know this board is HUGE and I'm just one voice, but I wanted to get this out there.

It has gotten really out of hand as of late and makes the forum a scroll-fest. It is unnecessary and downright frustrating when surfing via a phone or tablet.

Case and point... 2 posts. One with one word, one with a very short sentence. 2 posts take up the ENTIRE screen. Come on...
Neither image adds anything useful to either poster's content and neither image is really useful for anything else.
Even more annoying is some user's sig images eat up an entire page by themselves. When half a thread's space is eaten up with worthless sig images, it just makes the board look like a cluttered mess.

Venting over.
The first signature doesn't look too big IMO.
The post would be of same length without the signature.
Can't really say something about the second signature, as it does not end at the end of your screenshot.
So that could in deed be too big.

Extremely big signature should be reported to the forum specific maoderator (FSM), but if you feel that it is only "a little bit" too big, than you can PM the user in a friendly way.
I have done this several times like: "You have a very nice signature and a really good looking picture in there. Maybe you can even improve your signature by using a smaller picture or optimizing the arrangement of the parts in your signature so that your post can be read better. And this could also save some space in the threads as well."

All users that I PMed like this answered very pleased that they feel thankful for my tips and changed their signatures.
Maybe I was lucky ... but if you provide your help to optimize their sigantures, most people will at least tolerate it IMO.
Device: SGS5 (SM-G900F)
ROM: AllianceROM v5
Kernel: Stock XXU1ANE2 kernel
Recovery: PhilZ-touch recovery
Modem: XXU1ANG2
If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread,
... for your SGS5, just ask in the Noob friendly Galaxy S5 All in one support thread.
If you need general help/assistance, please go to XDA Assist.
The Following User Says Thank You to It_ler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Deadly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3901

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by It_ler View Post
All users that I PMed like this answered very pleased that they feel thankful for my tips and changed their signatures.
Maybe I was lucky ... but if you provide your help to optimize their sigantures, most people will at least tolerate it IMO.
You are right.. this has worked for me too.. told 2 guys.. they both happily did it..

I did tell they might get into trouble for having such large signature though

**Nothing is True... Everything is Permited**
Muffins.. Yay, i want muffins!
"Thanks button is just to avoid "thanks" posts in threads. Nothing more than that. Don't ask in signature or post for it and defeat the purpose why it was introduced"

XperienceD
Old
(Last edited by XperienceD; 22nd November 2012 at 05:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98 View Post
Here's the same shot on my 1920x1080 screen...

...so what you have to complain about others don't, but I do think sig pics/banners should have a limit, your picture is nothing compared to this...

...now that is taking the p*$s!

It_ler
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 14856
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperienceD View Post
Here's the same shot on my 1920x1080 screen...
...so what you have to complain about others don't, but I do think sig pics/banners should have a limit, your picture is nothing compared to this...
...now that is taking the p*$s!
Yes, you found the extreme example.
Saw this guy's signature already in another thread ... he seems to like his phone ... and his own face
But some other users may not like to see this large picture below each of his posts.
Here a [HIDE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/HIDE] would be a solution ... for him to keep his big picture and for all other to not see it
Device: SGS5 (SM-G900F)
ROM: AllianceROM v5
Kernel: Stock XXU1ANE2 kernel
Recovery: PhilZ-touch recovery
Modem: XXU1ANG2
If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread,
... for your SGS5, just ask in the Noob friendly Galaxy S5 All in one support thread.
If you need general help/assistance, please go to XDA Assist.

Roxy
Old
Thanks Meter 404
@ExperienceD

Holy !@#$% @ the last picture. Damn, that guy's signature is huge!

[ My Home Screen ]
[ Current Phone | 32GB White Nexus 5 | PA | Franco Kernel ]
[ Previous Phone | Nexus 4 | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus One ]
[ 11" Macbook Air 2013 | i7 4650U | HD 5000 | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD ]
[ Gaming Rig | i5 2500K 4.5ghz | GTX 670 FTW SLI | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HD ]

the_scotsman
Old
Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee / Haggis Muncher
Thanks Meter 9110

DONATE TO ME
We do police image sizes to an extent. if one is larger than it needs to be, we'll ask the member to reduce the size or remove it.

But remember you can hide signatures from being shown in your profile settings. http://forum.xda-developers.com/prof...do=editoptions
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_scotsman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radepoznic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Size pixel? Format?

Samsung Galaxy S2
Rom: NeatROM lite v4.0
Kernel: jeboo_kernel_i9100_v1-1