Kindle Fire HD 8.9" bootloader bug fixed

OP verygreen

25th November 2012, 12:52 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 4

38 posts
Smile KFTT 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen

Hi! Hope everybody is having a nice Thanksgiving (slowly transitioning to Black Friday).

I brought a piece of great news, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (and HD 7", but I don't have a device to test) bootloader has been broken.
All hail to sloppy programmers (as if there were any other kinds, right?)

Thanks to: fattire for noticing a bit of unverified user input, Hashcode for doing some prototype testing on other Kindle devices before we got our hands on actual Kindle HD and a bit of source code.

kindle fire HD 7?? can you tell me about way to unlock bootloader???,can i do it?i has Kdff 7, i hope rom cook for it..
25th November 2012, 01:13 PM   |  #12  
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Yes, please give us details. Do not tease us this way?

Are we talking Hashcode's Safestrap or something else?

/peter

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium
25th November 2012, 03:25 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 7

76 posts
He broke NOOK HD+ bootloadr as well elsewhere in xda.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
25th November 2012, 05:30 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 32

336 posts
What exactly was your method? I don't want a how-to but I am more curious of your exploit.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
25th November 2012, 10:16 PM   |  #15  
OP Recognized Contributor
TN
Thanks Meter: 2,603

1,292 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by craby1925

What exactly was your method? I don't want a how-to but I am more curious of your exploit.

Just as fattire highlighted in this other thread, there's an unchecked length parameter in boot image, so you just make it really long and overwrite the stack of the bootloader, allowing you to transfer control to your code (another copy of uboot in my case).

It seems there are a lot of misunderstandings about how these bootloader fixes work, so we are preparing a document laying it in some more details. It currently only covers Nook Tablet (of Bauwks fame) and just needs to be expanded a bit.
Last edited by verygreen; 25th November 2012 at 10:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verygreen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2012, 08:21 AM   |  #16  
Flag Mount Vernon, IA,USA
Thanks Meter: 188

288 posts
Donate to Me
More
any word on if this will cover the kf2 the non hd one? I can't wait to get my hands on mine in a couple days. But I like the look and feel of cm10. ( I have the latest nightly on my sgs3. ) also, is there any word on actually unlocking the bootloader?
26th November 2012, 08:32 AM   |  #17  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 19

913 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkilo

any word on if this will cover the kf2 the non hd one? I can't wait to get my hands on mine in a couple days. But I like the look and feel of cm10. ( I have the latest nightly on my sgs3. ) also, is there any word on actually unlocking the bootloader?

I think there's quite some distance to cover between "Bootloader cracked" and "CyanogenMod 10 running". CM really only works with source code, and I really can't see Amazon releasing all their source.
26th November 2012, 09:00 AM   |  #18  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,781

1,745 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilverZurfarn

I think there's quite some distance to cover between "Bootloader cracked" and "CyanogenMod 10 running". CM really only works with source code, and I really can't see Amazon releasing all their source.

There is some distance to cover, it's true. But much of that has been covered. CM10 is already running, albeit w/o sound for the moment. And speaking generally, the source for CM10 is available.

Also, it may be wiser in general to get a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 or something similar if simply to support the hardware manufacturers who make it very easy for you to unlock to install your own operating system.
Last edited by fattire; 26th November 2012 at 09:02 AM.
26th November 2012, 09:39 AM   |  #19  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 19

913 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire

CM10 is already running, albeit w/o sound for the moment. And speaking generally, the source for CM10 is available.

Sounds reassuring that CM 10 is already up & running.
Yes, I'm aware of that CM sources are available - but it was Amazons source code I was referring to. I doubt they (Amazon) will release drivers & cetera to facilitate the creation of third party ROMs.
26th November 2012, 03:18 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 433

410 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire

CM10 is already running, albeit w/o sound for the moment.

Which Device has CM10 on it running? KF2, 7"HD or 8.9" HD? and will it be available for all 3 devices?
I am looking forward to this putting some new life in my KindleFire2.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader hack
Previous Thread Next Thread