onemeila
Old
(Last edited by onemeila; 6th June 2013 at 04:12 AM.) Reason: 8.1.4
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Default KFHD System.img Recovery Tool

THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9 ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
2. Run SR Tool

That's it, wait for the tool to finish. Be patient this can take a few minutes. To exit fastboot use option 6 or hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. When you reboot the first time it may seem to loop once but this is normal and will boot up. Once again be patient, especially if you chose to erase cache and userdata. The system needs to rebuild those partitions. Hope this helps some of you in the community. Again sorry for the size of the download, this is why I made this a separate tool instead of combining it with the HD7 version.

Downloads:
KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

UPDATES:
12-24-12
System v8.1.4
12-12-12:
System backup from v8.1.3 KFHD_SRTool_v2.0
Option menu has changed
New options: Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk, enable fastboot with device powered on or off.
Option 4 removed due to new option of enable fastboot

DOWNGRADE:
I no longer own this device so I cannot make backups of newer system versions, for the time being here are instructions for downgrading to 8.1.4:
1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backups from 8.1.4) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 folder
2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 to flash system.img.
3.) Erase userdata and cache
4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
Use these cmds:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
5- Reboot.

Thanks to mdblaze for bringing to my attention that a factory cable is not needed with this device
Again Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to onemeila For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mdblaze
Old
(Last edited by mdblaze; 24th November 2012 at 05:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Thank you for adding the 8.9 to your tool onemeila. I appreciate the work you've done.

I can confirm this does work to fix an hd stuck on the kindle fire logo. Thanks again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdblaze For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FroyoShark
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
I can't download it :/
When I click "download anyway" it just refreshes the page.
Phones:
LG G2 | ROM: Madhi (2/16/14)
Nexus 5 (Sold)
EVO 4G LTE | ROM: Omni ROM 4.4.2
EVO V 4G (Sold)
Motorola Triumph (In the process of fixing)
LG Optimus V (Sold)

Tablets:
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (Sold)
Kindle Fire 1 (Sold)

onemeila
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroyoShark View Post
I can't download it :/
When I click "download anyway" it just refreshes the page.
Don't know what is going on there. I just went to the link and had no problem. Try again and let me know. If it doesn't work pm me and I'll send you another link.

FroyoShark
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemeila View Post
Don't know what is going on there. I just went to the link and had no problem. Try again and let me know. If it doesn't work pm me and I'll send you another link.
Hmm, it lets me download it on my desktop, but no matter what browser I try to download it on with my laptop it does the same thing. Weird.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I got it working, but how do I get Apex launcher working again after the update?
Phones:
Nexus 5 (Sold)
EVO V 4G (Sold)
LG Optimus V (Sold)

Tablets:
Kindle Fire 1 (Sold)

onemeila
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hmm, it lets me download it on my desktop, but no matter what browser I try to download it on with my laptop it does the same thing. Weird.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I got it working, but how do I get Apex launcher working again after the update?
Yeah sorry I made those backups before the update. Download from the play store, go into your file manager and move it from /data/app/ folder to /system/app/ folder then reboot.
Did you have to re-root.

FroyoShark
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemeila View Post
Yeah sorry I made those backups before the update. Download from the play store, go into your file manager and move it from /data/app/ folder to /system/app/ folder then reboot.
Did you have to re-root.
That worked, thanks. I did have to re-root. Maybe make it so it installs the OTA Rootkeeper as well?
Phones:
Nexus 5 (Sold)
EVO V 4G (Sold)
LG Optimus V (Sold)

Tablets:
Kindle Fire 1 (Sold)

onemeila
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That worked, thanks. I did have to re-root. Maybe make it so it installs the OTA Rootkeeper as well?
OTA Rootkeeper does not work. There are a couple system apps that can be altered to stop updates, I can't think of them but they are in another thread. Now that you have your device working I would recommend making a backup of your own of all the partitions. If you mess something else up outside the system partition this restore tool won't fix it. Very easy to do check out this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1930656

synergye
Old
Thanks Meter 8296

DONATE TO ME
Firstly, good work. Play store wouldn't open for me, so I ended up needing to manually copy all files from gapps onto the device. It seems that you might be missing the gapps framework permission files. It's painfully slow however, and apps are constantly closing. I full wiped using fastboot.

onemeila
Old
(Last edited by onemeila; 5th December 2012 at 10:58 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergye View Post
Firstly, good work. Play store wouldn't open for me, so I ended up needing to manually copy all files from gapps onto the device. It seems that you might be missing the gapps framework permission files. It's painfully slow however, and apps are constantly closing. I full wiped using fastboot.
Yeah the google framework was installed as user app on those backups. I don't like installing things as system apks if its not necessary, just more chances of problems. I'm in the process of adding an option to install that separately, via adb. At first I was just trying to keep everything as close to out of the box as possible so people would just have a clean slate, but its nice to have the options of add-ons in one shot if they are wanted.
I was in a hurry when I made the mods to this version for the 8.9 and just haven't had the time to look back over it. So I apologize if something is off. Please let me know if you or anyone catches something. Was it slow after the the restore?

The Following User Says Thank You to onemeila For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]