Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,416 Members 38,983 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Tip us?

jstn76rs
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Ape1 View Post
It will not wipe any data and can be used to root any version android on the Sprint gs3.
Thanks for the quick reply. Will give this a go as soon as my wife gives me the ok.

Skunk Ape1
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 4,969

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn76rs View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Will give this a go as soon as my wife gives me the ok.
Really?
If you need anything, I monitor this thread and will provide support if needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skunk Ape1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iced327
Old
(Last edited by iced327; 25th November 2012 at 11:35 PM.) Reason: added third question
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks!

As a TOTAL noob: appreciate the easy explanation! Waiting to do this myself, but have a few quick questions first. I've done a lot of reading up on rooting but I'm still not entirely clear on a few things so I'm hoping someone can explain it to me like I'm five:

1. Can I accept over-the-air updates from Sprint on a rooted phone? i.e. when they push Android 4.2. If not, do I unroot and reroot to update? Do I have to uninstall everything?

2. Is there something I need to install after doing this? I previously rooted an HTC EVO and remember having to install Superuser immediately after. Anything similar here? Looking to ultimately run wifi tether so any advice toward that end would be greatly appreciated.

3. I'm a little confused about rooting/flashing and some basic definitions. Are they the same thing? I hear a lot about CyanogenMod - what is it and is it coming into play here?

Thanks so much!!

Skunk Ape1
Old
(Last edited by Skunk Ape1; 27th November 2012 at 02:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4,969

DONATE TO ME
As a TOTAL noob: appreciate the easy explanation! Waiting to do this myself, but have a few quick questions first. I've done a lot of reading up on rooting but I'm still not entirely clear on a few things so I'm hoping someone can explain it to me like I'm five:

1. Can I accept over-the-air updates from Sprint on a rooted phone? i.e. when they push Android 4.2. If not, do I unroot and reroot to update? Do I have to uninstall everything?

This is not going to be a straight up yes or no answer. If an update comes ota to your phone, you will be able to receive it providing you:

1. reflash stock recovery before accepting it.
2. haven't flashed a custom rom
3. haven't removed any required software. The ota will look for certain software and files. if the required software and files aren't present the ota will fail

None of this should concern you though. There are ALWAYS ways to get the updates while being rooted

2. Is there something I need to install after doing this? I previously rooted an HTC EVO and remember having to install Superuser immediately after. Anything similar here? Looking to ultimately run wifi tether so any advice toward that end would be greatly appreciated.

These instructions seem like you are doing many things. You aren't. There are really only 5 steps. I just broke all the steps down in detail. Really all this is:

1. Downloading all the files to your computer
2. Installing your Samsung Drivers to your computer
3. Copying one file to your phones sd or external sd card. (Team_Epic Root_From Recovery)
4. Flashing CWM Recovery to your phone with Odin.
5. Flashing TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip with CWM Recovery

The Team Epic File that you are flashing in recovery installs superuser, busy box, and in addition removes two files needed to make recovery stick.

3. I'm a little confused about rooting/flashing and some basic definitions. Are they the same thing? I hear a lot about CyanogenMod - what is it and is it coming into play here?

Rooting is really nothing more than giving you the user, the right to access root or system files. It has very little to do with flashing as you can flash updates with stock recovery.

Flashing is simply installing something in a tar, img, or zip format. tar files are flashed with Odin, zips are flashed from recovery and img files are flashed or pushed with adb (Android Debug Bridge)or fastboot.

Cyanogen is a rom. roms are very simply the phones operating system and user interface. They're called roms because their files are kept on read only memory. There are many roms out there for our phone.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skunk Ape1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iced327
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Awesome, appreciate the prompt response - thanks so much!!

brianando
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Thanks!

Thanks for putting this together. My new gs3 arrives tomorrow and I have already prepped my computer with your files in anticipation.

I'll report back how it works out.

Thanks again!

brianando
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default One more thing

When I do get my phone should I activate it first or root it first or does it matter?

I know it voids the warranty but I guess I could unroot to take it in for service if needed?

Thanks again.

Skunk Ape1
Old
Thanks Meter 4,969

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianando View Post
When I do get my phone should I activate it first or root it first or does it matter?

I know it voids the warranty but I guess I could unroot to take it in for service if needed?

Thanks again.
I would activate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skunk Ape1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SpazticWonder
Old
(Last edited by SpazticWonder; 27th November 2012 at 12:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
This works with the 4.1 update, correct?

amadeo38
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I previously had the Galaxy S1 (Epic) and went through several custom ROMs before finally going back to a stable release with root because of dissatisfaction with the ROMs. My phone never really returned to perfect functionality after this experimentation, and always had some buggy glitches and many FC's. Now that I have a perfectly running GS3 with Android 4.1, I would love to be able to wifi tether and install apps like adblock and Titanium Backup Pro, but I am hesitant because of my past experience.

Do you think there is any reason at all that simply doing this root procedure would change the functionality of my perfectly smooth-running GS3?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe