Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,880 Members 51,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Tip us?

Skunk Ape1
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 4,989

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazticWonder View Post
This works with the 4.1 update, correct?
Yes it works with all software versions for the Sprint GS3.

Skunk Ape1
Old
(Last edited by Skunk Ape1; 27th November 2012 at 03:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4,989

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeo38 View Post
I previously had the Galaxy S1 (Epic) and went through several custom ROMs before finally going back to a stable release with root because of dissatisfaction with the ROMs. My phone never really returned to perfect functionality after this experimentation, and always had some buggy glitches and many FC's. Now that I have a perfectly running GS3 with Android 4.1, I would love to be able to wifi tether and install apps like adblock and Titanium Backup Pro, but I am hesitant because of my past experience.

Do you think there is any reason at all that simply doing this root procedure would change the functionality of my perfectly smooth-running GS3?
I also had the og epic. I know your pain. This phone is light years ahead of it and the roms are much more stable. I run wicked sensations and it is as stable and reliable as the software that came with the phone.

That being said, rooting your phone should have no effect on it's stability.

amadeo38
Old
(Last edited by amadeo38; 27th November 2012 at 01:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks man!

In an earlier post, you mention that if we wanted to accept the 4.2 update (assuming we will get this eventually) we would have to re-flash to stock recovery. How does one go about doing that?

Skunk Ape1
Old
(Last edited by Skunk Ape1; 27th November 2012 at 02:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4,989

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks man!

In an earlier post, you mention that if we wanted to accept the 4.2 update (assuming we will get this eventually) we would have to re-flash to stock recovery. How does one go about doing that?
I will provide the stock recovery if needed. It is already posted in several places here. I will also add the stock recovery zip to the root kit. To go back to stock recovery you will just flash the zip in custom recovery.

Reinstalling stock recovery is only one method of updating. There will most likely be 4 or 5 different methods to get your update. Some of which you will be able to do without removing root or custom recovery.

When it comes time to update, I will make a thread very much like I did at AC. Click here for sample of what to expect.

Binary Droids
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Thanks OP for this quick and easy guide. Not new to the Android scene, but just got my S3 today and got root on the first try with your guide. It's a little awkward trying to hold all three buttons at once as I'm coming from an S2 and only had to hold two, but it's doable. Again, THANKS!
Phone: Nexus 5 | ROM: Paranoid Android | Kernel: franco.kernel
Old Devices: Galaxy SIII, Galaxy SII, Samsung Admire
My Site: Binary Droids | Follow Me: Google+ | Facebook | Twitter
The Following User Says Thank You to Binary Droids For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Skunk Ape1
Old
Thanks Meter 4,989

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Droids View Post
Thanks OP for this quick and easy guide. Not new to the Android scene, but just got my S3 today and got root on the first try with your guide. It's a little awkward trying to hold all three buttons at once as I'm coming from an S2 and only had to hold two, but it's doable. Again, THANKS!
Yup... the most common mistake people make is letting their phones reboot before flashing the team epic file in recovery.

amadeo38
Old
(Last edited by amadeo38; 27th November 2012 at 03:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Have you been able to use wifi tether with this root? I cant get the wifi tether app(s) to work (wifi tether or barnacle) with any of their settings (i tried every combination).

Just wondering if all roots are equal or if this root could be different than others or if it is a product of JellyBean (Android 4.1.1) not being compatible with wifi tether apps just yet?

Skunk Ape1
Old
(Last edited by Skunk Ape1; 27th November 2012 at 04:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4,989

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Have you been able to use wifi tether with this root? I cant get the wifi tether app(s) to work (wifi tether or barnacle) with any of their settings (i tried every combination).

Just wondering if all roots are equal or if this root could be different than others or if it is a product of JellyBean (Android 4.1.1) not being compatible with wifi tether apps just yet?
It has nothing to do with the root process. It is JellyBean, Wifi tether doesn't work with JellyBean unless you have the hacked version of wifi tether found HERE

The Following User Says Thank You to Skunk Ape1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amadeo38
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I stumbled across this modded wifi tether shortly after my last post and it didn't work at first until I installed the SuperSU program from the Play Store.

Thanks for your help again.

ThisIsDanial@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Ahh thanks for the great guide SkunkApe but I have 1 question..

I'm a complete idiot and tried to root at 3 in the morning and I'm half asleep and I didn't realize that the option "F. Reset Time" was still checked and I clicked Start on Odin. I started to panic after about a minute because your guide says it should only take about 10-20 seconds to get that Success message. Anyways after 2 minutes and 5 seconds I got the message and proceeded to flash TWRP recovery and start up my phone. Everything works fine and I see I have Superuser as well. My question is should I re-root since I messed up the initial process or should I just leave it be and thank god nothing happened? Lol thanks again.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe