Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10

OP dalingrin

25th November 2012, 05:40 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,760
 
1,412 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
For now this post is primarily a feeler to see if there are any other developers that want to work on dual booting Android and a Linux distribution. My Nexus 10 has shipped but has not yet arrived so I've not done any work on it yet.

The Samsung Chromebook is able to run Ubuntu without issues and it has the same SoC. Hopefully, the Nexus 10 kernel will be similar and can easily use the Linux GPU blobs without a lot of work.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rome_a15&num=1

The Nexus 10's fast CPU in combination with a keyboard case should result in a relatively good experience when running a traditional Linux distribution with KDE Plasma Active or the like.
Last edited by dalingrin; 25th November 2012 at 05:57 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dalingrin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th November 2012, 05:18 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag illinois
Thanks Meter: 58
 
343 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
More
I'm sure its possible to run as a chroot, and vnc in, but if I could actually use the accelerated GPU, I'd hook up a mouse and keyboard with OTG, it'd be a high res laptop replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium
27th November 2012, 06:51 PM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I am very interested in this. I've got F17 and Gentoo running on my ARM Chromebook (and I have a N10).

What are you thinking for multiboot control, moboot?
27th November 2012, 08:50 PM   |  #4  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,760
 
1,412 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhalder

I'm sure its possible to run as a chroot, and vnc in, but if I could actually use the accelerated GPU, I'd hook up a mouse and keyboard with OTG, it'd be a high res laptop replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

Chroot isn't really what I'm wanting either. Hoping to eventually get close to or full hardware support natively.

Quote:

I am very interested in this. I've got F17 and Gentoo running on my ARM Chromebook (and I have a N10).

What are you thinking for multiboot control, moboot?

Probably not moboot. LittleKernel was used as a base for moboot which has only really been used on Qualcomm architectures. This, of course, made it perfectly suited for us to use on the HP TouchPad. I'm not sure it would be worth the work required to port it to the Nexus 10.

That said, I don't think a multi booting bootloader is something we need to worry about right now. We can work with simply fastboot to load a different kernel and ramdisk while we work on native Linux. The bootloader can be worked on later after we get a better idea of what we are up against.
27th November 2012, 11:15 PM   |  #5  
newellj79's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 246
 
2,143 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalingrin

Chroot isn't really what I'm wanting either. Hoping to eventually get close to or full hardware support natively.



Probably not moboot. LittleKernel was used as a base for moboot which has only really been used on Qualcomm architectures. This, of course, made it perfectly suited for us to use on the HP TouchPad. I'm not sure it would be worth the work required to port it to the Nexus 10.

That said, I don't think a multi booting bootloader is something we need to worry about right now. We can work with simply fastboot to load a different kernel and ramdisk while we work on native Linux. The bootloader can be worked on later after we get a better idea of what we are up against.

I'm no developer. But as a Ubuntu user I would love to see you bring this to us! I'd be happy to test anything related.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
27th November 2012, 11:28 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalingrin

That said, I don't think a multi booting bootloader is something we need to worry about right now. We can work with simply fastboot to load a different kernel and ramdisk while we work on native Linux. The bootloader can be worked on later after we get a better idea of what we are up against.

Heh, this is the exact conclusion we came to on the Open webOS project for the gnex.

Sounds good to me.
29th November 2012, 03:45 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
259 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalingrin

For now this post is primarily a feeler to see if there are any other developers that want to work on dual booting Android and a Linux distribution. My Nexus 10 has shipped but has not yet arrived so I've not done any work on it yet.

The Samsung Chromebook is able to run Ubuntu without issues and it has the same SoC. Hopefully, the Nexus 10 kernel will be similar and can easily use the Linux GPU blobs without a lot of work.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rome_a15&num=1

The Nexus 10's fast CPU in combination with a keyboard case should result in a relatively good experience when running a traditional Linux distribution with KDE Plasma Active or the like.

(1) Thanks for the initative! I'm still enjoying your work with the Nook Color, and I really look forward to a native port of ubuntu on the N10.

(2) I'm not a developer but I would be delighted to help out with testing etc.

(3) I know that development has yet to begin, but do you envison being able to use N10 both (ie. some sort of dualboot?) as an android device and as a light laptop -- latex, light C coding? And if so, would 16g be enough or would it need 32g to be useable (as opposed to just playing around....)? I'm to order the N10 and I have a limited budget; your advice on this is most appreciative.

Thanks!
29th November 2012, 06:55 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by case-sensitive

...would 16g be enough or would it need 32g


http://www.indiegogo.com/pengpod

Pengpod1000 has 8GB for dual boot.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
29th November 2012, 09:10 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
In terms of space, Windows 8 requirements on ARM is the same 4 - 5 GB.

It is interesting that Exynos 5 dual core supports Direct X11 which indicates it was designed to also target Windows.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
29th November 2012, 10:49 PM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,760
 
1,412 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by case-sensitive

(1) Thanks for the initative! I'm still enjoying your work with the Nook Color, and I really look forward to a native port of ubuntu on the N10.

(2) I'm not a developer but I would be delighted to help out with testing etc.

(3) I know that development has yet to begin, but do you envison being able to use N10 both (ie. some sort of dualboot?) as an android device and as a light laptop -- latex, light C coding? And if so, would 16g be enough or would it need 32g to be useable (as opposed to just playing around....)? I'm to order the N10 and I have a limited budget; your advice on this is most appreciative.

Thanks!

I definitely want to dual boot eventually. 16GB will be enough but will get cramped quickly if you store a few videos and music.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes