Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10

28th January 2013, 01:23 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 3

25 posts
More
I am not a developer, but if anybody comes out with some possible solution I can try it. Some posts before someone said something about starting from Chromebook: They already have Lubuntu for chrome and it is from the same maker and has the same Exynos 5 inside. Looks like the way to go.
7th February 2013, 02:56 AM   |  #22  
Flag Tulsa
Thanks Meter: 8

64 posts
Donate to Me
More
well, it seams no one is actively working on this. i guess im going to try my hands at development and see if i can get a proof of concept. ill post here again if i hit a stumbling block or make a breakthrough
The Following User Says Thank You to teh_cANONs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 01:38 PM   |  #23  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 310

704 posts
More
Although the link below is an update on the release of a Ubuntu phone it also mentions tablets. "... will be available on a full range of devices, including desktop and tablet computers ...". I also like that the first target device for the Ubuntu phone is "optimized for the Galaxy Nexus handset".
From Feb 6th: http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2013/02/06/...ng-in-october/

It gives me hope that eventually we have an Ubuntu option on the Nexus 10, hopefully in a dual-boot configuration. Which is one of the reasons I am holding out for a 32GB model when/if they every become abailable in Canada.
7th February 2013, 05:53 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 1,461

2,806 posts
More
The problem with Canonical is.. I've yet to see a glimmer of hope they made Bloatbuntu into a lightweight distribution of Linux. The Nexus 7 version was a steaming pile and good for nothing except to brag about how you have Ubuntu on your tablet. They have a phone coming out in October also.

Here is my thing.. Android is portable Linux already. Yes, it's Java based but the same principles and kernel are at hand. Why would I want a desktop version of Linux hamfisted into some convoluted tablet variant? You know who else tried turning a desktop OS into a phone and Tablet OS?? Et Hem... You see how well that turned out? Get me a version of Debian, Gentoo or Arch I can install on a phone or tablet and THEN you'll peak my interest.

And that phone in October is going to be a disaster..
Last edited by styckx; 7th February 2013 at 06:01 PM.
8th February 2013, 10:02 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 737

1,778 posts
Someone just got Unbuntu Lucid running. Unfortunately one of the moderators is removing all trace of its existence on these forums for seemingly no reason. The threads look exactly the same info as other threads on booting Ubuntu with other devices that we have here on XDA.
8th February 2013, 10:53 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 229

786 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGmA1987

Someone just got Unbuntu Lucid running. Unfortunately one of the moderators is removing all trace of its existence on these forums for seemingly no reason. The threads look exactly the same info as other threads on booting Ubuntu with other devices that we have here on XDA.

Do you mean this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2139575

If so, that's just a chrooted linux which many of us already have going. What's being discussed here is real, 100% native, no android in the background linux.
18th February 2013, 11:43 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 106

487 posts
More
Re: Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10
Just checked out WWW.ubuntu.com... Looks like a tablet announcement in 16 hours.

I know the nexus s and 4 are getting a taste... Fingers crossed the 10 gets some action too

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
The Following User Says Thank You to mymusicathome For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2013, 02:07 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 76

419 posts
Re: Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymusicathome

Just checked out WWW.ubuntu.com... Looks like a tablet announcement in 16 hours.

I know the nexus s and 4 are getting a taste... Fingers crossed the 10 gets some action too

Whatever it is, no tablet can run it better than the N10

19th February 2013, 03:43 AM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 229

786 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymusicathome

Definitely have my fingers crossed. I'll admit I'm not a fan of Ubuntu, but this would at least open the door to other distributions like Debian or Arch.
19th February 2013, 03:54 AM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 1,461

2,806 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun

Definitely have my fingers crossed. I'll admit I'm not a fan of Ubuntu, but this would at least open the door to other distributions like Debian or Arch.

That's the only thing I'm hoping for myself. A pure debian experience in my hands would be amazing.. I'm very skeptical though about Canonical's intentions and execution here.. If it's just a watered down Linux with locked doors in place keeping you from building on it and changing it. Then screw em..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread