5,600,429 Members 32,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10

Tip us?

styckx
Old
(Last edited by styckx; 19th February 2013 at 04:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1454
I'll give it a whirl on the 21st but expecting disappointment. Everything I'm supposed to hate I end up liking and everything I'm supposed to like I end up hating.

Their mythology is sound. What you do on the phone or tablet you can also do on the PC.. How all that actually comes out we'll see.

I'm fully expecting a xorg and kernel update to break my tablet video drivers and boot me to just a purple screen within two days though.

Edit:

It's bloated right out of the box..

Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED

newellj79
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Default Re: Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalingrin View Post
Fantastic news. I'm really glad I didn't go through with porting Linux to the Nexus 10 =)

Now we need two things:
-Boot manager to dual boot Android and Ubuntu
-Android app compatibility

My guess is Android app compatibility will be difficult for the community to make but we should be able to make a boot manager/bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
I agree and am super excited! I hope, as you mentioned, that a dual boot install is created. If you end up endeavoring to do it yourself I would be happy to test.

dalingrin
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2718

Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
I'll give it a whirl on the 21st but expecting disappointment. Everything I'm supposed to hate I end up liking and everything I'm supposed to like I end up hating.

Their mythology is sound. What you do on the phone or tablet you can also do on the PC.. How all that actually comes out we'll see.

I'm fully expecting a xorg and kernel update to break my tablet video drivers and boot me to just a purple screen within two days though.

Edit:

If there were no challenges to using GNU Linux stack on slow embedded devices then there wouldn't have been any reason for Google to make Android in the first place.

Jotokun
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post

Edit:

Wow... no desktop mode on dual-core A15s? That ruins much of the excitement I had about trying it out... I'm really hoping that information is wrong. At least being open source it should be easy to fix, and if its just too heavy then worst case scenario swap Unity for LXDE.
Current phone - Nexus 4 16GB (CM10.1 RC2)
Current Tablet - Nexus 10 32GB (CM10.1 Nightly)
Previous devices - Motofail Backflip (CM7.2 Stable), Motofail Atrix 4G (CM10), HP Touchpad (CM9), Asus Transformer TF700 + dock (rooted stock ICS), Nook Color (CM7.1), Samsung Blackjack II (WinMo 6.1)

styckx
Old
Thanks Meter 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
Wow... no desktop mode on dual-core A15s? That ruins much of the excitement I had about trying it out... I'm really hoping that information is wrong. At least being open source it should be easy to fix, and if its just too heavy then worst case scenario swap Unity for LXDE.
I prefer Mate myself but LXDE would do the trick also.. Or worse comes to worse Openbox..
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED

syraz
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Wow, never been a big Ubuntu fan, always enjoyed Suse/OpenSuse but I do really like the look of that Ubuntu for tablets

newellj79
Old
Thanks Meter 229

Developer preview suppose to be released today but I haven't been able to find anything yet.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Well looks like this is it. May give it a go this afternoon. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

demonguard
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Has any progress been made on running some form of desktop linux on the nexus 10? Is it possible we could modify the Ubuntu Touch release to run a more standard desktop environment?

I'd love to use my 10 with keyboard/mouse as a portable development environment but the utilities available in android just don't cut it.

dalingrin
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2718

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonguard View Post
Has any progress been made on running some form of desktop linux on the nexus 10? Is it possible we could modify the Ubuntu Touch release to run a more standard desktop environment?

I'd love to use my 10 with keyboard/mouse as a portable development environment but the utilities available in android just don't cut it.
I doubt the touch release will help since it relies on CyanogenMod 10.1 for bring up and doesn't use X11.

jshafer817
Old
(Last edited by jshafer817; 26th March 2013 at 07:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 389
Try this you guys..

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live...rmhf+omap4.img Though it says omap4, it worked on my qualcomm (touchpad).

Use that as a Root FileSystem..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2146089

There is also a 12 and 11.10 thread.

Take a look at the kernel configs we use. And our ramdisk. You will need to use uimage-extract from moboot to seperate the kernel and ramdisk from uImage.

Look at the configs.. Ubuntu needs V4L stuff for the kernel. Look at the init in the ramdisk. Change them to work for the Nexus 10.

Good luck! Feel free to look at the touchpad rootfs.. We don't run Unity.... Though.. I should try to recompile the latest freedreno stuff.

It should at least boot.. Ours does for moboot and the touchpad. We had to alter xorg and stuff for video.. You can also create a ram console kernel. This is nice, as you can adb into ubuntu without installing adb as it's built into the kernel. Rob Clark from Freedreno taught me that.

Peace!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI5Mzg
Something to read:
Anyhow, Ubuntu 13.04 will improve support for this latest ARM Chromebook to run Google's OS. The Ubuntu 13.04 repository just received ARM's new universal X.Org graphics driver, a.k.a. the xf86-video-armsoc DDX. This is a generic ARM SoC DDX driver for the X.Org Server originally derived from the xf86-video-omap driver.

Other then that, there seem to be only 2 open source gpu drivers other then xf86-video-armsoc... lima and freedreno.