Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,076 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] How to fix 4.2 lag

Tip us?

fishingfon
Old
(Last edited by fishingfon; 27th November 2012 at 11:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 253
Default [Guide] How to fix 4.2 lag

Hi all,
I recently upgraded to 4.2q on my Nexus 7, and I experienced a lot of lag on it. I was browsing the Internet, and I found this on the internet which has worked well for me, and now I have no lag. I don't know if this has already been posted here.
This is what I found on the internet:

"If you’re one of the poor users experiencing major lag on your Nexus 7 after the Android 4.2 update, here’s what you can do to remedy the situation:

Open your app drawer
Open Google Currents
Click the three dots in the top right corner of the app
Tap “Settings”
Uncheck “Enable Background Sync”
Reboot your Nexus 7

That’s it. You shouldn’t experience anymore lag and you probably won’t even need to reboot. For me the difference was night and day. I went an extra step and disabled the app completely just in case. If you want to disable Google Currents for good measure, you can do so by going into your main Settings menu, clicking Apps, swiping to the All category, clicking Google Currents, and then clicking Disable. (If you do this you won’t be able to use Google Currents anymore, but at least your Nexus 7 will be back to normal."

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
My Current Devices:
Galaxy Note II N7100
HTC 8x Windows Phone 8
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
Nexus 7

The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to fishingfon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bbbbarryc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This fixed the lag issues instantly. Thanks so much!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

chismay
Old
Thanks Meter 153
WOW

really? google currents is what is lagging everyone on 4.2?

thats weird , totally weird to be that reason and....totally weird easy solution, think your gonna get many thanks for this well done for the find!
still on 4.1 here cos heard of laggy issues , when i do update ill remember this though

ps. might be good to let the guys in "androidforums" know too
If I Have Helped You Please Click The Thanks Button

ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 32GB
ACER ICONIA A500 ICS FLEXREAPER-EX V5.1
HTC HERO GSM CYANOGENMOD7
GOOGLE GALAXY NEXUS STOCK
MK808 4.2.2 ANDROID TV STICK
SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE THE MYTH ROM ICS V3
SAMSUNG GALAXY S I9003 TITANIUM ROM V3
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 I9300 STOCK
SAMSUNG GALAXY MIN S8850 STOCK
ELONEX TAB 2.1(CRAP)
MISCROLL TAB 3.2(SLIGHTLY BETTER)

GldRush98
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Could be why I have never seen the lag. I always have Currents sync unchecked in my Google account since I don't use it.
---Phone---
Nexus 5 32gb
Android 4.4.4 KTU84P, Baseband 2.0.50.1.16, Unlocked, rooted, TWRP Recovery 2.7.1.1
---Tablets---
Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Android 4.4.2 KOT49H, rooted, TWRP 2.6.3.3
Nexus 7 16gb
Android 4.4.2 KOT49H, Unlocked, rooted, TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.1
---Past---
Galaxy Nexus (AT&T)
Android 4.3 JWR66Y, Baseband I9250XXLJ1, Unlocked, rooted, Clockwork Touch 6.0.4.3
Google Nexus One | AT&T Fuze (Touch Pro) | AT&T 8525 (Hermes) | AT&T 8125 (Wizard)

Cmmts
Old
Thanks Meter 12
If this really works, it is the most representative of the issue I have with Android. How is a normal user going to monitor all apps and deduce what app or setting is causing the issue. So... does this really work or is it just imagination?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cmmts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

big_lilo
Old
Thanks Meter 7
read that this morning on Drippler ... Can't believe thats the fix! haha Thats awesome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big_lilo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Flanimal
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I read this on Drippler too, disabled currents background sync, and have noticed the significant improvement. Im surprised there arnt task managers to identify such a promlem. I thought these rooters and flashers could run terminal commands. No one ran ps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to Flanimal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

portage
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thx it works

bkmaracas
Old
Thanks Meter 54
This doesn't cure lag across the board, I suspect my continuing lag issues are due to having added a user.
Added account for my GF so she could see how nice jelly bean is and that iOS doesn't rule the world, and the more she's used it more laggy my use of n7 has become.
Ok I can fix by deleting it but its quite a serious issue so hope Google fix quick.
Sent from my Nexu
The Following User Says Thank You to bkmaracas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmaracas View Post
This doesn't cure lag across the board, I suspect my continuing lag issues are due to having added a user.
Added account for my GF so she could see how nice jelly bean is and that iOS doesn't rule the world, and the more she's used it more laggy my use of n7 has become.
Ok I can fix by deleting it but its quite a serious issue so hope Google fix quick.
Sent from my Nexu
Wow, you were so lagged that you couldn't even get the "s" in 'Nexus' to register in time for your post.

The Following User Says Thank You to phonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]