Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,401 Members 44,693 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] SendReduced -- email reduced size photos

Tip us?

arpruss
Old
(Last edited by arpruss; 30th November 2012 at 07:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] SendReduced -- email reduced size photos

Now in Google Play.

There are already a bunch of apps in Google Play for reducing the size of photos for emailing. The one that I tried required many extra taps: select share, then select the app, then choose the reduce, then choose a resolution, then select share again. And it didn't respect photo orientations. Plus it had ads. I wanted something that doesn't require any extra taps over and beyond normal emailing. Plus something simple, small (20K!), and with no ads in ordinary use (eventually there may be a link in the Options to my other apps, but the Options doesn't show up in normal use, only when you want to customize the resolution).

Here it is. There is source code there, too (BSD license). It's very simple. From Gallery or Camera, when sharing a photo, just choose "Send Reduced" and it'll send it reduced to a size that fits in a 1024x1024 square (you can run SendReduced from your launcher to adjust this resolution). The first time you run it, you'll need to select which email app to use. There should be a checkmark to make this setting permanent, so that next time you just choose "Send Reduced" when sharing a photo it should just go straight through to your email app, and so it won't take any more taps than just sharing a photo normally.

You can also use SendReduced to attach a reduced photo. Just choose "Get Reduced Photo" when attaching (I only tested in gmail). Then choose Gallery as your picker, and set the checkmark so next time you won't be asked.

Currently SendReduced does not clean up its cache of reduced photos, so you may want to clean it up manually occasionally (but since they're reduced, they don't take up much space). On newer devices it's in /sdcard/Android/data/mobi.omegacentauri.SendReduced/cache and on older devices in /sdcard/SendReduced.

Needs Android 1.6.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to arpruss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Saketme
Old
(Last edited by Saketme; 25th November 2012 at 07:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Sounds handy. Downloading it now

*EDIT*: Crashes on my Galaxy S III (Stock Android 4.1.2)
Find me on: Google+

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saketme View Post
Sounds handy. Downloading it now

*EDIT*: Crashes on my Galaxy S III (Stock Android 4.1.2)
1. How did you invoke it? Were in you in Gallery and did you press Share, or were you in an email app and chose Attach?
2. Any chance of sending me a log? If your device is rooted, you can get catlog from Google Play and send me (arpruss at gmail dot com) a log right after the crash.

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
I caught a crash bug, maybe the same one you had. You can download 0.02 which should be much better.

curl66
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Great! Thanks! Works fine on CM10 on i9000

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Just posted 0.04 which cleans up the cache every two days (only if you use SendReduced--I don't want to set up another background alarm!).

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
And uploaded to Google Play.

baal77
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss View Post
And uploaded to Google Play.
The perfect app I was looking for. Now in my Xperia S !!
Two requests for next versions if possible :
- Possible to keep the EXIF infos of the original picture ?
- Possible to keep the filname of the orginal picture followed by a suffix ("IMG5418-small.jpg" for exemple) ?

For the rest... easier than your app is impossible.
Thank you.

Fred.

un4seen
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I like it, simple and effective.
If you take suggestions, it would be awesome if the intent worked for MMS. My operator limits multimedia messages to 300kB (as do many european operators), so sending a picture is impossible in a hurry, and this thing would be very handy every time I have to send a picture to someone without mobile email access.

Saketme
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hi really sorry for not replying. The app now works perfectly on my Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2) as well as Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.1). The app is perfect and works as advertised. But there's a *smaaalll* thing that needs to be improved — it's just too simple.

For new users, how are they going to know the procedure to resize images? Some people might try to search for an open image button in your app. Let them know that they need to share an image with SendReduced.

Also, after resizing is complete, SendReduced should offer various apps to share the photo with instead of asking for the default app to open it. I might not always use the same app to share the resized image, right?

Overall, great work! I was searching for an app like this. Please do the changes and I'll be more than happy to cover it in my blog
Find me on: Google+