Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,192 Members 37,768 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] iPhone users. What do you miss?

Tip us?

Johncrist1988
Old
(Last edited by Johncrist1988; 1st December 2012 at 01:54 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] iPhone users. What do you miss?

*****UPDATED 11/30/12*****

tl;dr -- It was the best freaking decision I've ever made in my cellular life.

Things we miss:
- iMessage (Use something like Kik as an alternative)
- iLife and iWork for iOS (Various replacements. I started using ePrint by HP for my wireless printing needs. Works almost as well)
- Game Selection (I work on my phone, so playing games doesn't affect me much, but a lot of the core games are still there)

Things you gain from the switch:
- Bigger screen for easier reading.
- Battery life is omg good.
- The cameras are just as good in my opinion. Low light shots are grainy.
- S Pen is really useful for taking notes in a pinch. Pull it out, jot the note, put it back, note autosaves.
- Other S Pen functionality is really nice. Things like previews in the calendar, cutting out parts of the screen to save in notes, etc.
- Performance is bar none better 10-fold perceptively. I never have a moment of hesitation on my phone.
- Tops out at 128GB (Eat that 16GB iPhone 5)
- Size doesn't really hurt your pocket that badly. Bigger screen catches the bosses attention. I have had more than one comment at work about how I take my job seriously being ready for anything like that.

I have an iPhone 5 presently and have been debating for several days now whether of not I want to get the Note 2. I have watched Phonedogs comparison and read article after article and it feels like the phones pretty well break even. So I thought I'd ask some former iPhone users about their experience with their switch.

I have Apple TVs and Airport Expresses all over the place. I stream things almost exclusively while I'm at home. I also mirror my phone to the TV at night laying in bed (doing that now typing this). That being said, I know android has apps that support airplay but not necessarily a screen mirroring solution short of VNC that would require a PC hooked up to my TV and a whole lot more of an inconvenience to get fired up.

I don't know what android has that is directly on par with iWork for iOS. I love typing up documents, syncing them to my phone with iCloud, and being able to edit and print them from my phone wireless on practically any and all wireless printers regardless of brand. iWork for iOS works completely and with a full feature set that I don't ever remember finding in Documents To Go. Has this improved at all?

Not knowing much about the Android ecosystem, what kind of apps are equivalent to iMovie? I use that quite a bit and am curious what android solutions match that in ease of use and functionality. I can't stress enough that when I ask these comparison questions, I'm not trying to prove one better. I'm actually wanting to make the switch. I'm just looking to be more informed about what I'm loosing and what I'm gaining before doing so.

What have you iPhone users missed about your iPhone since you made the switch?

saffant
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I miss iTunes and some of the apps from the appstore. However, it all makes up it when I remind myself that "can't do no work on a 4" screen"

CRSO
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I switched. No regrets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CRSO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

themyst
Old
(Last edited by themyst; 26th November 2012 at 06:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
In my opinion, the only thing missing on Android is the robust game/app selection and consistency in layout/design. I have an iPad 3 anyway, so I have the best of both worlds regardless. The iPhone in both 3.5" and 4" alike simply isn't useful for my needs anymore.

PS: I have a WDTV Live that will allow the equivalent of "Airplay" without any hassle through the Note 2. In terms of exclusive apps (e.g. Garageband, Numbers, Pages, iMovie, etc.) there is no equal. If you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, it may be somewhat difficult to switch.

I know the Note 2 comes with Polaris Office included in the stock ROM. Probably won't touch the iWork suite in terms of interface and usability, but give it a try on a demo model and see if it may work for you.

borijess
Old
Thanks Meter 821
Nothing

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borijess For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ahmarchi
Old
Thanks Meter 165
I miss this little simple function on ios. Say you are at the bottom of a very long Page or document you could double tap the top of status bar and it would move to the top instantly instead of having to scroll up. Nothing big but nice little feature

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

pic when this was godly speeds about 6 years ago... REMEMBER WHAT BROUGHT US HERE

PROUD XDA MEMBER FOR 6 YEARS!!!!!

Current Device: Galaxy note 3 (AT&T)
previous:
galaxy note 2
galaxy note
motorola atrix
iphone 4
iphone 3s
htc touch hd
htc fuze ( htc pro)
att kizer

ibn762
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjdmarchi View Post
I miss this little simple function on ios. Say you are at the bottom of a very long Page or document you could double tap the top of status bar and it would move to the top instantly instead of having to scroll up. Nothing big but nice little feature

I thought i was the only one who misses that little feature. Aside from that, I currently own both phones and theyre both fantastic but sadly I prefer my Gnote2 over my iph5. The big screen is a huge plus and the S-Pen is really neat. But I do like the apps more on the iphone.

Mac11700
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncrist1988 View Post
I have an iPhone 5 presently and have been debating for several days now whether of not I want to get the Note 2. I have watched Phonedogs comparison and read article after article and it feels like the phones pretty well break even. So I thought I'd ask some former iPhone users about their experience with their switch.

I have Apple TVs and Airport Expresses all over the place. I stream things almost exclusively while I'm at home. I also mirror my phone to the TV at night laying in bed (doing that now typing this). That being said, I know android has apps that support airplay but not necessarily a screen mirroring solution short of VNC that would require a PC hooked up to my TV and a whole lot more of an inconvenience to get fired up.

I don't know what android has that is directly on par with iWork for iOS. I love typing up documents, syncing them to my phone with iCloud, and being able to edit and print them from my phone wireless on practically any and all wireless printers regardless of brand. iWork for iOS works completely and with a full feature set that I don't ever remember finding in Documents To Go. Has this improved at all?

Not knowing much about the Android ecosystem, what kind of apps are equivalent to iMovie? I use that quite a bit and am curious what android solutions match that in ease of use and functionality. I can't stress enough that when I ask these comparison questions, I'm not trying to prove one better. I'm actually wanting to make the switch. I'm just looking to be more informed about what I'm loosing and what I'm gaining before doing so.

What have you iPhone users missed about your iPhone since you made the switch?
Iwork substitutes..

http://http://alternativeto.net/soft...atform=android

Imovie substitute

http://https://play.google.com/store...trelTest&hl=en

Mirroring...I don't think you can get as close yet outside of VNC...but for utilizing your Apple TV

http://http://doubletwist.com/help/q...ndroid-device/

All in all...it's going to depend on how deep your into Apple's pockets..Phone for phone...there really is no comparison on the differences...all one has to do is to hold each and use each.

What do I miss the most about my Iphone...simple...all the money I lost making the switch back to my Note II...from all of my expensive apps and extra Icloud storage I can no longer use...but...IMHO...it's worth it...

Mac
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac11700 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johncrist1988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I'm not so deep I can't get out. I can return the Airport and iPhone still and swap for the Gnote2. I need to google around more about DLNA devices because streaming is nice, and if there's a.... 'cleaner' product of method of doing it, it may be worth it.

Dmwitz
Old
(Last edited by Dmwitz; 26th November 2012 at 08:48 AM.) Reason: Spelling
Thanks Meter 124
Default This is available on the Note 2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjdmarchi View Post

This can be done in 2 ways on the GN2. One wny is to switch on the feature in the settings under "Motion"/"Double Tap". Otherwise, assuming the long text is in a browser you can use Boat Browser (which is very customizable) and has this feature.
Regarding AirPlay and the other things mentioned in this thread, can you not simply keep you iphone as a Wifi only media player/streamer?
I use my old Galaxy SI as such with Spotify. Without a Sim card and a 3g data connection the battery can last almost three days also

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dmwitz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe