Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,219 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] iPhone users. What do you miss?

Tip us?

divadkha
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by borijess View Post
Nothing

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2!
+1

kevink15
Old
Thanks Meter 3
The question is per user. I prefer the non-locked down system of Android. Watch a lot of movies and the iPhone has to be jailbroken to do anything other then basic usage. XBMC on my Note2 + MHL adaptor and no rooting. I love the customization.

Another reason I switched was because of iTunes. What a mess. I have a lot of mixes for music and iTunes splits it up. I prefer just being able to dump on my sd card.

Only thing I miss is the gaming apps. But not that much that I would switch back.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

yellowman82
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjdmarchi View Post
I miss this little simple function on ios. Say you are at the bottom of a very long Page or document you could double tap the top of status bar and it would move to the top instantly instead of having to scroll up. Nothing big but nice little feature

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
You do know the GN2 has this feature right?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowman82 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Techweed
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowman82 View Post
You do know the GN2 has this feature right?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Does it work for the browser? That's where I need it the most.

skochw
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I've owned and used as my main device every iphone up to the iphone 5. I'm loving the Note 2, but there are a few things I miss:

- Overall simplicity. There was a lot of handholding in iOS that I didn't even necessarily realize was happening, which I miss. Biggest/most annoying example so far: sending videos via MMS or email. Unless you have the "limit size to MMS" or whatever checked when you record the video (which would mean a crappy source quality in the video, should you want to use it for anything other than an MMS), you can't MMS it to someone (and unless it's more than a few seconds long, it'll likely be too big to email as well). There are some apps out there for transcoding the video to a lower bitrate, resizing, etc, but this is a royal pain to have to do any time you want to send a quick video. iOS did it all automatically when you went to send the video.

- Better versions of apps. Some apps are just better/smoother on ios. Examples include facebook, Steam, The Weather Channel.

- Photo Stream. My wife is on an iPhone, and we have an old ipad that we use as a photo frame. I miss being able to easily have photos I take appear on both her phone and the iPad.

- iCloud. I miss stuff syncing with my mac desktop apps for things like notes, reminders, etc. I'm sure I could find something to get me by for the notes, and the others I mentioned would sync to a Google calendar, but still. I miss all that happening automatically.

Overall though, I'm very happy to have made the switch. There is no way I could go back to that tiny iPhone screen now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skochw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chriskwarren
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Mirroring via VGA dongle.
Current: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900W8, NCG baseband, Bell Mobility) , Sony Tablet Z 32GB
Past: Galaxy S4 (i337m Bell Mobility), iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note 2 i317M, Toshiba Thrive, Acer a500, Asus Transformer TF101, Asus Transformer TF 201, Asus Transformer Infinity, Acer a700

twanskys204
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjdmarchi View Post
I miss this little simple function on ios. Say you are at the bottom of a very long Page or document you could double tap the top of status bar and it would move to the top instantly instead of having to scroll up. Nothing big but nice little feature

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
Go back to iphone..obviously u dont know how to work ir own phone ....maybe u need it simplified from apple sgn2 is better in all aspects
The Following User Says Thank You to twanskys204 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johncrist1988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by skochw View Post
I've owned and used as my main device every iphone up to the iphone 5. I'm loving the Note 2, but there are a few things I miss:

- Overall simplicity. There was a lot of handholding in iOS that I didn't even necessarily realize was happening, which I miss. Biggest/most annoying example so far: sending videos via MMS or email. Unless you have the "limit size to MMS" or whatever checked when you record the video (which would mean a crappy source quality in the video, should you want to use it for anything other than an MMS), you can't MMS it to someone (and unless it's more than a few seconds long, it'll likely be too big to email as well). There are some apps out there for transcoding the video to a lower bitrate, resizing, etc, but this is a royal pain to have to do any time you want to send a quick video. iOS did it all automatically when you went to send the video.

- Better versions of apps. Some apps are just better/smoother on ios. Examples include facebook, Steam, The Weather Channel.

- Photo Stream. My wife is on an iPhone, and we have an old ipad that we use as a photo frame. I miss being able to easily have photos I take appear on both her phone and the iPad.

- iCloud. I miss stuff syncing with my mac desktop apps for things like notes, reminders, etc. I'm sure I could find something to get me by for the notes, and the others I mentioned would sync to a Google calendar, but still. I miss all that happening automatically.

Overall though, I'm very happy to have made the switch. There is no way I could go back to that tiny iPhone screen now.
Those are good points to know, thank you. Looking back I do remember video sending being a pain. I eventually ended up doing private Youtube uploads all the time and linking people to the videos. An extra step.

Not that I'm saying that's a deal breaker at all, but it's those little things. Does Android have a response to Photostream out of the box? If I recall, doesn't it automagically upload to Google+ or something of the sort?

skochw
Old
(Last edited by skochw; 26th November 2012 at 03:19 PM.) Reason: Further response
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by twanskys204 View Post
Go back to iphone..obviously u dont know how to work ir own phone ....maybe u need it simplified from apple sgn2 is better in all aspects
Come on, if there's a way to do it and you know how, just tell the guy rather than being snarky for no good reason. This thread is obviously targeted towards people making the switch from iOS to Android, and there is a definite learning curve involved there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncrist1988 View Post
Those are good points to know, thank you. Looking back I do remember video sending being a pain. I eventually ended up doing private Youtube uploads all the time and linking people to the videos. An extra step.

Not that I'm saying that's a deal breaker at all, but it's those little things. Does Android have a response to Photostream out of the box? If I recall, doesn't it automagically upload to Google+ or something of the sort?
It does upload to Google+, yes. I wound up turning that off, though, since I rarely use Google+. I did turn on automatic photo/video uploading for Dropbox, though, and I am absolutely loving that. I know there's photo/video upload in Dropbox for iOS, but this all happens via a service running in the background, so you don't have to have the actual Dropbox app open for it to happen.

Something else to note about the auto-upload for Dropbox (and Google+, for that matter): you can use that to share videos/images easily. Only issue is the person receiving it has to download/stream the full-res video or image, and you have to wait for it to upload before you can share itg. Still much easier than transcoding just to send a video, though.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skochw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

taiwanese
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm using both....Loving both

The Following User Says Thank You to taiwanese For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe