Jelly Bean 4.2.1 OTA

Search This thread

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
warning everyone that hasnt updated yet, remove the f**king recovery file in the ota , when i took out stock browser it worked but , it rebooted and gave me a laying down android with a red caution sign

There is nothing wrong with the red exclamation android I found out, it's just the new recovery. When you see it, press power and immediately vol+ (together) momentarily and release, you'll get the recovery options menu.

Funny, It failed for me and entered a reboot loop with the RedCautionAndroid. To fix it i just "fastboot boot cmw-manta-xxx.img" and rebooted using the menu option.

Update
I was able to update fine using TWRP 2.3.2.3, but not CMW 6.0.1.8. I got status 7 with the original and the custom Renzyyy package on CMW. I got status 7 with the original package on TWRP, but not with the custom Renzy package.

This isn't really a fix, it's removing the problem parts of the OTA, what we need to figure out is why the OTA is failing at all. Some are having no issues, others it just won't work for, root doesn't seem to be a problem, thers say their custom recovery has simply been overwritten, so I can't figure out what the issue is (unless it's a lock/unlock).

Reactions: griffinj

oldarney

Jun 12, 2010
Android
There is nothing wrong with the red exclamation android I found out, it's just the new recovery. When you see it, press power and immediately vol+ (together) momentarily and release, you'll get the recovery options menu.

This isn't really a fix, it's removing the problem parts of the OTA, what we need to figure out is why the OTA is failing at all. Some are having no issues, others it just won't work for, root doesn't seem to be a problem, thers say their custom recovery has simply been overwritten, so I can't figure out what the issue is (unless it's a lock/unlock).

So I ran the flash-all.bat script from the Nexus factory images Nexus 10 image,
fastboot boot cmw-6.0.1.8.img
sideload 4.2.1-stock.zip

And I still got the status 7. The only cleaner way to do it would have been to lock and use the stock recovery, but Google Services Framework wouldn't give me the update, even when cleared.

Possibly suspicious apps,
Google wallet
SuperSU
Titanium Backup

Question:
How do people get status 7 when not using CMW or TWRP?? Is there anyway to know what errors the stock recovery gives when installing the updates? And why would my Nexus 10 give a status 7, while my Nexus 4, which has all the same mods, is perfectly happy.

Last edited:

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
sideload 4.2.1-stock.zip

And I still got the status 7. The only cleaner way to do it would have been to lock and use the stock recovery, but Google Services Framework wouldn't give me the update, even when cleared.

Same.

Won't show me the update either, I guess we have to wait our "turn" again. I believe they release in batches, to prevent overloading the servers.

The crap about clearing the GSF data doesn't work unless it's your "turn".

oldarney

Jun 12, 2010
Android
Same.

Won't show me the update either, I guess we have to wait our "turn" again. I believe they release in batches, to prevent overloading the servers.

The crap about clearing the GSF data doesn't work unless it's your "turn".

Any idea on how to force the stock recovery to use our OTA update file? That would expedite the debugging process.

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
Any idea on how to force the stock recovery to use our OTA update file? That would expedite the debugging process.

None at all I'm afraid, other than to paste it in the cache folder, but I guess it needs to know it's there before it'll pop up and tell you to update.

This is bugging the crap out of me now.

impulse101

Mar 17, 2011
Hey guys can you possibly help me out. I flashed the update forgetting to use rootkeeper. Well it went thru fine but i lost root and when i reboot the lock is greyed out, but says unlocked. I tried Nexus Root toolkit v1.6.0. Now adb is working but when it reboots into fastboot i get error "Fastboot device not found" . I tried multiple drivers but i always get the same error. Once i get into fastboot i cant do anything just "Fastboot device not found"

It boots up fine and works as usual just root is no longer working

Use the other guys rootkit the 1.3 one and flash twrp with it, for some reason wugs rootkit doesnt always detect fsstboot, once you flash twrp again you should be good
Also install the naked adb drivers

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Yeh I had the latest TWRP, the link on the team android site is broken though, and the one you linked from the google servers won't work because it patches recovery and will expect to find stock recovery and fail when it finds TWRP.

I dont know man, i put the file i linked to in the sdcard directory renamed to update.zip, rebooted to twrp and flashed it. I lost twrp in the process but i just flashed it back with the 1.3 nexus 10 root kit

Reactions: cds36

Haffoc

Mar 10, 2008
sideload 4.2.1-stock.zip

What seemed to fix it for me was reflashing the stock recovery using mskips nexus 10 toolkit, rebooting, flashed TWRP and it then successfully applied the OTA. Then I just had to reflash TWRP again.

Might have just been coincidence but before I did that I was getting the status 7 set_perm error.

six_dfx

Jan 9, 2009

Boot to stock recovery, choose "update from ADB" and then use "adb sideload c:\whatever\update.zip"

Tried it on my unlocked/rooted n10, got the same set_perm error than with CWM.

This makes no sense to me, it really looks like a bug in the recovery code that remounts /system read only during the update process

Reactions: oldarney

djmarques

Jul 14, 2010
@six_dfx

try this update.zip with CWM, it worked for me with Touch CWM

took out the recovery stuff, this worked for me in twrp: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26643655/Android/update-manta-4.2.1-renzyyy.zip

screenshot:
Screenshot_2012-11-27-19-29-32.png

treyy

Nov 19, 2010
Did anybody in germany get the update OTA now ?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk 2

mvpulsts

Oct 19, 2009
version? build number?

what version does this say it is in the settings? I recieved an ota update (small one) yesterday and in settings it still says I have software version 4.2 the build number is J0P40C. I don't know if that changed or not, i didnt record the build number when i first turned on the tablet..

treyy

Nov 19, 2010
THX. MH why i dont get it^^

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk 2

cds36

Jun 10, 2010
Spokane Wa
Use the other guys rootkit the 1.3 one and flash twrp with it, for some reason wugs rootkit doesnt always detect fsstboot, once you flash twrp again you should be good
Also install the naked adb drivers

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

I dont know man, i put the file i linked to in the sdcard directory renamed to update.zip, rebooted to twrp and flashed it. I lost twrp in the process but i just flashed it back with the 1.3 nexus 10 root kit

Thanks it worked ... all good !

jrod091

Feb 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
what version does this say it is in the settings? I recieved an ota update (small one) yesterday and in settings it still says I have software version 4.2 the build number is J0P40C. I don't know if that changed or not, i didnt record the build number when i first turned on the tablet..

Your version should be 4.2.1 and build number should be J0P40D after the update. Your numbers are from the 4.2 release

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

mvpulsts

Oct 19, 2009
Your version should be 4.2.1 and build number should be J0P40D after the update. Your numbers are from the 4.2 release

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

Thanks, that's what I thought. When i click on system updates, it says im up to date. Im not going to side load any updates on it for now though, its running nice and smooth

DagrXDA

Nov 14, 2012
I still haven't seen the update... I'm only unlocked (stock recovery, unrooted). The unlock shouldn't prevent me from receiving an OTA should it? (That would seem off as there would be no way to unlock a 4.2.1 system?).

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
I still haven't seen the update... I'm only unlocked (stock recovery, unrooted). The unlock shouldn't prevent me from receiving an OTA should it? (That would seem off as there would be no way to unlock a 4.2.1 system?).

Nah, unlock, and root etc doesn't matter. I havn't seen it again since it failed on me the first time. They tend to run the updates in batches of serial numbers to make sure the servers don't get killed.

I'm hoping to god the reason I havn't seen it again is because they've pulled it to fix this bull****.

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
This is so frustrating for me. I was rooted and using CWM and the update failed so I figured those 2 things were probably to blame. So I wipe everything and reinstall the factory image - the update still fails with the "Set perm failed error".

I bought a Galaxy Nexus from Verizon so i could get updates to the latest Google software. We all know that's been a joke. But I figured with my Nexus 10 I would be all good with Verizon out of the picture. And now I still can't get updates. Haha! I hate technology.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution for OTA 4.2.1 for broken 4.2

To anybody who has problem with OTA 4.2.1 after reflashing stock factory image 4.2, read this -

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/android-building/s-qNo2fxeHY

Briefly - Nexus 10 factory image 4.2 was broken in EXT4 interpreter. Google issued today a NEW 4.2 factory image and you should reflash it first and proceed with OTA 4.2.1 after that in normal way (Jean-Baptiste Queru message).

Unfortunately, it is not indicated in Google's factory images webpage itself.

I just did that and it works fine now.
    took out the recovery stuff, this worked for me in twrp: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26643655/Android/update-manta-4.2.1-renzyyy.zip

screenshot:
    Screenshot_2012-11-27-19-29-32.png
    Can anyone who updated give me a copy of the build.prop??

Attached.
    Looking through the code... here are the differences I've see
    1. Fixed NumberPicker widget (December bug)
    2. Add notification vibrate pattern & fallback pattern (allow apps to overwrite pattern using VIBRATE permission)
    3. Updates to bluedroid bluetooth stack for bluetooth HID devices like gamepads
    Could you please consider my request above since you are online and haven't flashed yet? I thanks :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You can edit the updater-script found in the .zip and remove the assert lines that reference those two files. Save, copy it back to your tablet, and it should flash ok. That's what I did since I flashed the aosp browser.

Attached is the file I edited and flashed, it should work if you have flashed the AOSP browser. Original file posted by renzyyy, be sure to thank him. I just edited out the asserts for the BrowserProviderProxy files in the updater-script. Flashed fine for me in TWRP. This update will remove root, easiest to back it up using Voodoo OTA Root Keeper.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD