Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM10 development for Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

Tip us?

fattire
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
I'm assuming that with CM10, you won't be able to use all the special Amazon services like Amazon videos, lending library, etc. Doesn't that take away the whole point of buying a Kindle fire HD?
Uh, wut?

ZilverZurfarn
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
I'm assuming that with CM10, you won't be able to use all the special Amazon services like Amazon videos, lending library, etc. Doesn't that take away the whole point of buying a Kindle fire HD?
No - KF HD is a beautiful piece of hardware at a nice price, crippled by Amazons software. Where I live, almost all Amazon content is blocked anyway, so I won't lose anything. Amazon ebooks are basically the only content available to me, but that's just a matter of installing the Kindle app in CM.
ADP1 ADS_Magpie (retired)
Desire Z CM 7.2
HTC One X (stock)
KFHD 8.9
Dreaming of electric sheep
Get DropBox!

aaron.a
Old
Thanks Meter 96
eagerly watching and waiting... i havent got the stones to try it out now but ill test the first alpha! thanks for your work

ryantek
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Very very nice. Just waiting hopefully the developers will completed soon.

Doli69
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What about KFHD 7" ? If CM10 will work for KFHD 8.9", will work for 7" too or not? Sorry my english, please.

craby1925
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I am eager to try working this over to the 7HD but it might be premature. Do you guys think this software will still work with the fire 2 and 7HD?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

esox_hu
Old
(Last edited by esox_hu; 2nd December 2012 at 08:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by craby1925 View Post
I am eager to try working this over to the 7HD but it might be premature. Do you guys think this software will still work with the fire 2 and 7HD?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
I thought i ask the same. I have KFHD 7" as well and want to try CM10 on it..

verygreen
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2562

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by esox_hu View Post
I thought i ask the same. I have KFHD 7" as well and want to try CM10 on it..
Just to clear this up.
I do not have Kindle Fire HD 7" and so I cannot try.
We've got a volunteer to try this at irc and bootloader unlock works the same way (as expected, but you need a different bootloader binary).
We were not able to get anything to show up on the screen after booting CM10, thought it appears the OS boots and behaves fine, backlight is on too.

Anyway, I'd much rather prefer people to buy Nexus 7, it costs the same as Kindle Fire HD 7, but is a much more open device with much more developer support.
If you need CM10 and further, get Nexus 7 and you'll be soo much more happier. You still can run kindle app on it to read your books if you so desire.

With this out of the way, let's not touch on the 7" device topic here anymore, it's for 8.9" development discussion only. Thank you for your understanding.

fattire
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4386
Tablet Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen View Post
Anyway, I'd much rather prefer people to buy Nexus 7, it costs the same as Kindle Fire HD 7, but is a much more open device with much more developer support.
If you need CM10 and further, get Nexus 7 and you'll be soo much more happier. You still can run kindle app on it to read your books if you so desire.
Hear, hear!

The N7 is an amazing deal, has incredible specs with pretty much everything included, AND it's been made easily unlockable by the distributor. To anyone who wants continued access to devices in the future, there's no reason to support closed, locked systems.

So I just want to voice my agreement. If you're in the market for a 7" tablet, N7 > Kindle Fire HD 7".

Pass it on.

FroyoShark
Old
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire View Post
Hear, hear!

The N7 is an amazing deal, has incredible specs with pretty much everything included, AND it's been made easily unlockable by the distributor. To anyone who wants continued access to devices in the future, there's no reason to support closed, locked systems.

So I just want to voice my agreement. If you're in the market for a 7" tablet, N7 > Kindle Fire HD 7".

Pass it on.
I would have gotten the N7 but I wanted a larger screen.

LG G2 D800 (Vanir ROM)

Tags
cm10 rom development