Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build

Tip us?

flez1966
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build

has anyone built an MHL with OTG & charging cable that works yet?

if not I have just received my fully pined 11pin to 6 pin adapter, a working mhl cable, and I'll go start and see how far I get, but if someone knows of one thats done to save the time etc..

what i'd like to know is the full pinout for all 11 pins?

not even found a diagram for this new connector yet showing pin number ordering!

flez1966
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Well I have the mhl/hdmi cable now, let the hacking commence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fhBikVZXPg
The Following User Says Thank You to flez1966 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flez1966
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
well the build has stalled for a few days, somehow something went wrong with the tv (psu) and it seems to have 'zapped' my mhl/hdmi adapter....

the adapter communicates with the phone, but i get green garbage on screen.

So to pass the time i took the 11pin micro USB plug apart...

heres how they get 11 pins into a 5 pin hole...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flez1966 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vizographic
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Hey op thxs for info. Been wondering about that 11 pin setup myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

IamPro
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Whats a cheap 11pin mhl/hdmi cable?

Jade Eyed Wolf
Old
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by flez1966 View Post
well the build has stalled for a few days, somehow something went wrong with the tv (psu) and it seems to have 'zapped' my mhl/hdmi adapter....

the adapter communicates with the phone, but i get green garbage on screen.

So to pass the time i took the 11pin micro USB plug apart...

heres how they get 11 pins into a 5 pin hole...

So, considering USB is engineered as a hub design from ground up in the first place, do you think it would be possible to solder an OTG adapter to the 5 pins?

01jacksonb.
Old
(Last edited by 01jacksonb.; 7th February 2013 at 12:05 AM.) Reason: Pin order corrections
Thanks Meter 5
Hopefully this may be of some help, I have also been trying to make one of these for the last few weeks.
So far, from purchasing this MHL - hdmi adapter, I have managed to map most of the pins, but am having difficulties getting USB OTG to work.

Charge, HDMI, and PC data connection work, but i still need to find the USB OTG pins for "smart dock" mode.
I assumed that this would work for USB OTG but it doesn't seem to work for me, it acts as USB Slave not Host (I.e. Connection to PC not HDD/Keyboard)

so far the pins i have identified:
(normal usb part)
Pin 1 - Vcc
Pin 2 - USB - (Slave)
Pin 3 - USB + (Slave)
Pin 4 - Sense (40.2K Ohm)
Pin 5 - Gnd

(extended USB Part)
Pin 6 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
Pin 7 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
Pin 8 - DP (MHL +)
Pin 9 - DN (MHL -)
Pin 10 - MHL ID (connected to ID Pin of MHL Adapter)
Pin 11 - Gnd

I will try and upload some images tomorrow, and a diagram of the plug.
The Following User Says Thank You to 01jacksonb. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scote
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Default Re: MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build

My 11pin mhl cable has a y piece with a usb on one side and hdmi plug on the other. No box like yours.
Do these cables have any components in them?
Is it worth me doing any testing with my cable, what actually activates otg? My son had a low end android tab and there was a menu option to change the usb mode, so how is it triggered on note 2, is it a signal, resistor, or just the presence of a peripheral?
There must be a way of spicing in a otg cable onto an mhl cable.
Smart docks wont be available in uk until march, but I would rather do it by myself with cables anyway.

01jacksonb.
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Re: MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build

First of all, sorry i didnt get arount to uplading any images yesterday.
Im in the same boat as you, I didnt think I could get a smart dock, and didnt fancy paying 100 for something I should be able to make for 10. I have since found 2 uk shops that sell them for 60.

On my MHL adaper the socket is built into the body if the device, but it only supplies 5v to the device, no data pins are connected through it unfortunately.

Inside these adapters, there is a chip to convert MHL's 2 data cables into hdmi's ~11 data cables.

On the note2 the modes are activated by a resistor on the sense pin of the USB plug, (pin 4) For smartdock mode, 40.2k ohm resistor is used.

The main problem I am having is acessing the pins, as they are so small on the plug. Im waiting for some copper clad pcb so I can make a breakout board for the usb connector.

Sent from my GT-N7105
The Following User Says Thank You to 01jacksonb. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

01jacksonb.
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Sorry i tried linking to the UK sellers in-case you are interested, but my post count is too low to do so.

www(Dot)clove(Dot)co(Dot)uk/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-smart-dock

www(Dot)mobilefun(Dot)co(Dot)uk/samsung-galaxy-note-2-s3-smart-dock-edd-s20eweg-p36945.htm?referer=FR_PROD-PR3&utm_source=google%2Bproducts&utm_medium=compar ison&utm_campaign=google%2Bproducts