Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 37,884 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Droid Razr Maxx HD (XT926) - Jelly Bean OTA - 9.1.41.XT926 + Root

Tip us?

BinarySauce
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidvtec View Post
U have to have been rooted to properly freeze or remove some of the bloat. .as its in the systems

I use titanium backup for that

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
In Jellybean you can disable apps so they never run, don't need root for that. And I ain't removing any bloat(just disabling), because I've heard the bloat needs to be intact to get future updates.

So again, any downsides to rooting? If I root and don't remove bloat will my phone still be upgradable and not too 'tweaked'?

shaddix2
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Its trivially simplistic to remove root, in fact once you are more comfortable with it, you will not want to take updates ota anymore. There is more risk in getting bricked that way(ota) because you don't have custom recoveries and backups etc.

GoClifGo05
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinarySauce View Post
In Jellybean you can disable apps so they never run, don't need root for that. And I ain't removing any bloat(just disabling), because I've heard the bloat needs to be intact to get future updates.

So again, any downsides to rooting? If I root and don't remove bloat will my phone still be upgradable and not too 'tweaked'?
If you just freeze bloat you can unfreeze it before the update. And yes if you only root you can still get updates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."

Moto X DE
Nexus 7 - Grouper
Retired: Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition / Droid X2

gtownie
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I'm trying to go through the last few steps to get Jelly Bean but not root. When I boot into recovery and select update from sd card, recovery gives me an error that it failed to mount sd card. Any idea why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD

EdwardN
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownie View Post
I'm trying to go through the last few steps to get Jelly Bean but not root. When I boot into recovery and select update from sd card, recovery gives me an error that it failed to mount sd card. Any idea why?

Do you have a SD card installed in the phone? Is it formatted fat32 or something else? Formatting the card within the phone is the best way to ensure compatibility.

gtownie
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Man I feel pretty dumb. Didn't have an sd card in the phone.

big ach
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Updated with this leak! Everything went well... got impatient, but it seems like it will be the same version as the official update coming this week.

So far so good, everything seems to be working well, but volumes (ringtones, notifications, etc) seem to be a bit lower than they were in ICS... anyone else notice that?

sammyboy405
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Everything Worked just as described.

Curious though if this will be the same as the OTA.
A core dump is your computer's way of saying "Here's what's on my mind, what's on yours?" - Geeks Rule
Samsung Galaxy SIV - Verizon
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Nexus 7
RAZR HD Maxx - Rooted - Stock
ACER Iconia A500 - Rooted - Stock ROM - Check Out RootzWiki A500 Forum Nexus 7 (16GB)

GoClifGo05
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post
Everything Worked just as described.

Curious though if this will be the same as the OTA.
Lots of people are saying they have heard/read that this is the official OTA.
"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."

Moto X DE
Nexus 7 - Grouper
Retired: Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition / Droid X2

shaddix2
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by big ach View Post
Updated with this leak! Everything went well... got impatient, but it seems like it will be the same version as the official update coming this week.

So far so good, everything seems to be working well, but volumes (ringtones, notifications, etc) seem to be a bit lower than they were in ICS... anyone else notice that?
They were too loud in ICS on the lowest settings. Minimum volume for ringer settings is now quiet how it should be!