Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 40,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[N10] CF-Auto-Root

Tip us?

Chainfire
Old
(Last edited by Chainfire; 23rd May 2013 at 11:50 AM.)
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? - OP
Thanks Meter 49,956

DONATE TO ME
Default [N10] CF-Auto-Root

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 9.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage

- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
- Extract the ZIP file
- Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
- Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
--- Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
--- chmod +x root-linux.sh
--- Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
--- chmod +x root-mac.sh
--- Run root-mac.sh

- Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !

Are you having fastboot driver issues? You can find fastboot drivers in many places, but the easiest way is probably just installing the Android SDK.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
BLOG - G+(Chainfire) - G+(Personal) - TWITTER - IRC - PAYPAL - BTC 1JeoxivKEXbbiegsv1BrUC7fD7GgSPcqkG

A proper quote includes only the relevant paragraphs, and a proper post never ends with the word "why"

Android
HTC G1, Hero, One
LG G Pad 8.3, G Watch, G3
Moto E
Samsung i5800, i9000*2, P1000*2, P7100, i9100*2, N7000, P6800, i9300, N7100, i9505, N9005, G900F
Sony T LT30p, Z C6603
Nexus Galaxy*2, N7*2, N10, N7-2013, N7-2013-3G, N5

SuperSU, Mobile ODIN, TriangleAway, DSLR Controller, CF-Root, 500 Firepaper, OpenDelta, USB Host Diagnostics, ExynosAbuseAPK, Live dmesg+logcat, NoMoarPowah!, CF-Bench, Chainfire3D, CF.lumen, SGS2 SIM Unlocker, GingerBreakAPK, SuperPower, and more!

Windows Mobile 5/6
E-Mobile EM-ONE
HTC Wizard*2, Kaiser, Touch, Diamond, Pro, HD*2, Diamond 2, Pro 2*2, HD2*2
Samsung i780, i900*2, i8000*2, b7300, b7320, b7330, b7620*2, b6520

WMWifiRouter, KaiserTweak, FPUEnabler, WMLongLife, WMRegOptimizer, CFC+GUI, TF3D+v2 ports, Kaiser+Omnia2+Snapdragon 3D drivers, GfxBoost, and more!

Windows Phone 7
LG GW910

iOS
Apple iPad 3, iPad Mini 2

NOTICE: I do not respond to tech support questions through PM.
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chainfire
Old
(Last edited by Chainfire; 23rd May 2013 at 11:47 AM.)
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? - OP
Thanks Meter 49,956

DONATE TO ME
Default Download

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download: CF-Auto-Root-manta-mantaray-nexus10.zip

--- History ---
2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
BLOG - G+(Chainfire) - G+(Personal) - TWITTER - IRC - PAYPAL - BTC 1JeoxivKEXbbiegsv1BrUC7fD7GgSPcqkG

A proper quote includes only the relevant paragraphs, and a proper post never ends with the word "why"

Android
HTC G1, Hero, One
LG G Pad 8.3, G Watch, G3
Moto E
Samsung i5800, i9000*2, P1000*2, P7100, i9100*2, N7000, P6800, i9300, N7100, i9505, N9005, G900F
Sony T LT30p, Z C6603
Nexus Galaxy*2, N7*2, N10, N7-2013, N7-2013-3G, N5

SuperSU, Mobile ODIN, TriangleAway, DSLR Controller, CF-Root, 500 Firepaper, OpenDelta, USB Host Diagnostics, ExynosAbuseAPK, Live dmesg+logcat, NoMoarPowah!, CF-Bench, Chainfire3D, CF.lumen, SGS2 SIM Unlocker, GingerBreakAPK, SuperPower, and more!

Windows Mobile 5/6
E-Mobile EM-ONE
HTC Wizard*2, Kaiser, Touch, Diamond, Pro, HD*2, Diamond 2, Pro 2*2, HD2*2
Samsung i780, i900*2, i8000*2, b7300, b7320, b7330, b7620*2, b6520

WMWifiRouter, KaiserTweak, FPUEnabler, WMLongLife, WMRegOptimizer, CFC+GUI, TF3D+v2 ports, Kaiser+Omnia2+Snapdragon 3D drivers, GfxBoost, and more!

Windows Phone 7
LG GW910

iOS
Apple iPad 3, iPad Mini 2

NOTICE: I do not respond to tech support questions through PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

case-sensitive
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Thanks!

Newbie question: Does CF-Auto-root unlock the bootloader as well? (probably not, as I understand from your post and that's what I want, but I want to be sure...)
The Following User Says Thank You to case-sensitive For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

task650
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 47,831

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by case-sensitive View Post
Thanks!

Newbie question: Does CF-Auto-root unlock the bootloader as well? (probably not, as I understand from your post and that's what I want, but I want to be sure...)
From the OP... i marked in bold the important part.

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Nothing else, that's it.

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,545

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by case-sensitive View Post
Thanks!

No, this does not unlock the bootloader it only gives you root acess and installs the SuperSu app. To unlock the bootloader you must use fastboot and type the command:

fastboot oem unlock

I would suggest taking a look at mskip and wugfreshs toolkits located in the original development and development section of the nexus 10 forums respectively for a simple way to unlock your bootloader.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

notoriouspk
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Good to see nexus 10 getting all this support from Android gurus here on xda ...but again it's a nexus device ...me glad I bought it ...extremely happy with my purchase thanks chainfire for this easy root method as usual it works
nexus 7 2013 & nexus 5

nofam
Old
Thanks Meter 14
So if this doesn't unlock your device, why does the OP state:

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !?

Does rooting/installing SU wipe this device?

ShadowVlican
Old
Thanks Meter 52
His previous version didn't wipe the device, so I'm guessing this one doesn't either

Didn't need to unlock boot loader to root
Device: Samsung Note 2 Telus
ROM: slimkat weekly

FreakPrism
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
No, this does not unlock the bootloader it only gives you root acess and installs the SuperSu app. To unlock the bootloader you must use fastboot and type the command:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
Are you sure? The script in the ZIP in OP has the following command:
Code:
tools\fastboot-windows.exe oem unlock
Does that not issue a unlock? Is it necessary to run this command?

d0nald01
Old
Thanks Meter 15
hi there, not sure how to get this to work

its giving error because it can't find adbwinapi.dll

I installed the sdk for 4.2 already, not sure what i am missing

Thanks for help