[N7 WiFi | N7 3G] CF-Auto-Root

OP Chainfire

2nd December 2012, 10:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 51,588

9,240 posts
Donate to Me
More
CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 9.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage

- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
- Extract the ZIP file
- Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
- Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
--- Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
--- chmod +x root-linux.sh
--- Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
--- chmod +x root-mac.sh
--- Run root-mac.sh

- Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !

Are you having fastboot driver issues? You can find fastboot drivers in many places, but the easiest way is probably just installing the Android SDK.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
Last edited by Chainfire; 23rd May 2013 at 11:50 AM.
The Following 104 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd December 2012, 10:49 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 51,588

9,240 posts
Donate to Me
More
2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download:

grouper (Nexus 7 Wi-Fi): CF-Auto-Root-grouper-nakasi-nexus7.zip
tilapia (Nexus 7 3G): CF-Auto-Root-tilapia-nakasig-nexus7.zip

--- History ---
2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
Last edited by Chainfire; 23rd May 2013 at 11:47 AM.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd December 2012, 01:17 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,674

3,396 posts
More
I've added your thread in my index for N7 3G+, but could you insert it in the Sub-forum for N7 3G+. Thanks
Good stuff
3rd December 2012, 07:36 PM   |  #4  
Flag Yorktown, VA
Thanks Meter: 303

1,017 posts
More
Thank you Chainfire -- I always buy and use your apps. I appreciate you offering them for free on XDA as well for the less-privileged of us. Your work is art.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac of York For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2012, 02:25 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

6 posts
Sorry for the most probably horrendously obvious question, but do I need to unlock the bootloader to perform root with this tool? All other tools mention it specifically, but I can't see anything here saying that. I've got the 3g nexus 7 and just want to root it as quickly and simply as possible, remaining as close to the stock rom as possible. Any help would be great, thanks!
30th December 2012, 11:24 PM   |  #6  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 186

1,143 posts
More
@Chanfire, I'm new on this device, I just bought my nexus 7 32gb wifi only and I don't really like the idea of rooting it using those toolkits around here... I never like them. I also has an international galaxy s3 which I rooted using cf-auto-root and update it using mobile Odin pro.
The thing is that I don't really understand if I should install the android sdk first on my pc (running windows 8) to use this method for rooting my n7. I want to keep it stock but rooted, just like my s3.
My n7 has been automatically updated to 4.2.1 so I only need to root it, so please I need to know if I need to unlock my bootloader first or if I only need to connect it to the pc and run the .bat file from this post and that's it.
Please help me here!
Thanks a lot in advance for all your help!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 2
30th December 2012, 11:50 PM   |  #7  

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammel

@Chanfire, I'm new on this device, I just bought my nexus 7 32gb wifi only and I don't really like the idea of rooting it using those toolkits around here... I never like them. I also has an international galaxy s3 which I rooted using cf-auto-root and update it using mobile Odin pro.
The thing is that I don't really understand if I should install the android sdk first on my pc (running windows 8) to use this method for rooting my n7. I want to keep it stock but rooted, just like my s3.
My n7 has been automatically updated to 4.2.1 so I only need to root it, so please I need to know if I need to unlock my bootloader first or if I only need to connect it to the pc and run the .bat file from this post and that's it.
Please help me here!
Thanks a lot in advance for all your help!

Use WugFresh's toolkit. I was as hesitant as you but it was as easy as anything. Unless you know the coding and all of that I really wouldn't bother trying to do it yourself, the SDK is just to get the drivers so that you can use fastboot, then you need to unlock the bootloader and then you can root it, for the sake of all of that you can do it in 15 minutes with WugFresh's toolkit and be sure you haven't buggered it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 23james For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2012, 12:02 AM   |  #8  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 186

1,143 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23james

Use WugFresh's toolkit. I was as hesitant as you but it was as easy as anything. Unless you know the coding and all of that I really wouldn't bother trying to do it yourself, the SDK is just to get the drivers so that you can use fastboot, then you need to unlock the bootloader and then you can root it, for the sake of all of that you can do it in 15 minutes with WugFresh's toolkit and be sure you haven't buggered it.

OK, I'll try it... But does it works under Windows 8 64bits?
Thanks a lot for your support!

31st December 2012, 12:04 AM   |  #9  

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammel

OK, I'll try it... But does it works under Windows 8 64bits?
Thanks a lot for your support!

Not sure, think it might be a bit shakey for the drivers, but he's just put an update out so might be ok now. Worst case could you not just wing a W7 laptop or something somewhere?
9th January 2013, 06:15 PM   |  #10  
Flag burbank
Thanks Meter: 50

311 posts
hello to the forum, chain fire, can you develop a cf auto root for the Samsung sgh i927. It is running UCLG9 as the rom for the phone it is based off of Ics 4.04 leak wwhich has root in it but i dont know how to get the root privilage enable to run custom romms from cM or AOKP. So if it is possible if you could please develop a cf auto root rom for the phone. the phone is based off s2 but it has a slide out qwerty keyboard and that is why it is called the Samsung Sghi927 or captivate glide . so if this could be done a lot of users of the phone who are on ICs would truely appreciate it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread